Catapult workshop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Bet it's harder than you think. Yeah I'd be up for that.

Not for a skilled carpainter... I mean carpenter :eek:

Seriously though, I know there is a science involved in this, I just haven't had the inclination to attempt making one, let alone one in the woods using a knife to whittle something. I have an old Black Widow catty that I may well try to adapt to take the gold therabands I bought off of Mesquite at last years Moot. They're still in the ziplock bag I bought them in

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Not for a skilled carpainter... I mean carpenter :eek:

Seriously though, I know there is a science involved in this, I just haven't had the inclination to attempt making one, let alone one in the woods using a knife to whittle something. I have an old Black Widow catty that I may well try to adapt to take the gold therabands I bought off of Mesquite at last years Moot. They're still in the ziplock bag I bought them in

Lol, remember the basket weaving.

Biker

Lol, remember the basket weaving.

I think you're mistaking green willow basket weaving for 10 hours of mental and physical exhaustion disguised as a craft skill. I'm really proud of my basket which is sat beside my desk as I type this, I really earned that too.

Making a catapult = find Y shaped bit of wood, cut, fit bands, twang.
Green Willow Basket weaving = Enter Krypton challenge blindfolded to complete a rubix cube wearing mittens with one hand tied behind your back.... on a tightrope ... wearing flippers.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I think you're mistaking green willow basket weaving for 10 hours of mental and physical exhaustion disguised as a craft skill. I'm really proud of my basket which is sat beside my desk as I type this, I really earned that too.

Making a catapult = find Y shaped bit of wood, cut, fit bands, twang.
Green Willow Basket weaving = Enter Krypton challenge blindfolded to complete a rubix cube wearing mittens with one hand tied behind your back.... on a
tightrope ... wearing flippers.

Hey no offence meant, I just meant that the basket making was tougher than first thought.:(

Biker

Hey no offence meant, I just meant that the basket making was tougher than first thought.:(

None taken in the least. I should have added the smiley, I was typing my reply with tongue firmly in cheek. In all seriousness every small step of the way of basket weaving was a task, I literally felt I was working in uncharted waters with nothing to call upon I'd ever previously experienced. Gave me a whole new appreciation for wicker work and the like. Looks easy... ain't.

You do realise if the catapult making class gets off the ground I'm picking you as my partner in crime for this Hehehehehehee Given that candelabra and chicken rotisserie spit you made last year it should be a shoe-in.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
You do realise if the catapult making class gets off the ground I'm picking you as my partner in crime for this Hehehehehehee Given that candelabra and chicken rotisserie spit you made last year it should be a shoe-in.

Phew. I still think there is something more than just a forked stick to making a catapult. We'll see.:)
Ps, I'm bringing a lot more tools this year, I'm gonna be busy.

Last edited:

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I can bring some catapaults's down. We need to find out if it is OK to fire the steel or lead balls on the archery range, as you can loose quite a few, especially on 'have a go sessions'.

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
With some nice spars and some big bits of sisal rope we could make a balista in the naughty corner. Then the rest of the campsite may be in fear...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE