Cat litter as hobo fuel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
If it involves thermite or plastic explosives....

:lmao: .... Nope.

...I'm interested! Vids please!

No video , but I'll 'try' for photo's (camera came second from some bloke named Noah who used it to take pics of a boat being built).

Quick hint though -

Wombles-4.jpg

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
I understand it, i read that thread.

Is the Womble link summat to do with being the first to find a copy of 'The Times'.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Although I do have an absolute, unequivocal, hatred of being photographed, there are more than a few occasions when folk suddenly realise that I'm no longer there (and vice versa) - sudden appearances have (almost) put colleagues in hospital :eek: .

And: No, nowt to do with the newspapers :D

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I read, somewhere on the net, about burning compacted sawdust by having a central hole,don't see any reason why, if it works, it wouldn't also work for cat litter.

Presuming the stove has a bottom grate to feed air,you could try getting a 2inch stick ( it might help when extracting it to wrap it in paper ) hold it upright and pack the litter firmly down. Remove stick then rip up the paper, drop the pieces down the hole and light, preferably from underneath.

The idea seems to be that the hole forms a sort of chimney and the litter/sawdust burns from the inner circle outwards due to the forced draft.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Even after a bottle of Rioja i followed that perfectly and see your point, all the posts about it being small pettets and compacting with little air flow now seem overcomable ( is that a word?). Where's 'Dec the Experimenter' when you need him?

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I think this was probably the article
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Homes/1974-11-01/How-To-Build-And-Use-A-Sawdust-Stove.aspx

Though worth noting this one too
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/1975-09-01/The-Sawdust-Stove.aspx

A possible improvement might be to use a corse threaded auger bit for the central hole[1]. That way it might create a turbulent swirly path up the chimney, efectively lengthening the chimney path hence speed and volume of airflow.

[1] or for a more bushcrafty solution start with a 3 inch stick and carve your own thread, twisting it as you remove it should keep the thead pattern in the compacted fuel.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
The first article fills me with insiration ..........:D

030-028-01_01.jpg

....and then the 2nd article goes and p***es all over it.:eek:

BUT, in an outdoor setting im sure that would be an excellent long burning stove.:eek:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've made one of those sawdust stoves and they work too well, we melted the Scout Troop's only steel billy cos we let it boil dry!

We made ours from an old catering cofee tin, with a broom handle used to pack around.

We stood it on bricks, lit it, put a pot on to boil and went to mess about as you do when you are 14 (ish).

Came back about an hour later to find the "stove" roaring away and the billy with a big hole in the bottom!

Simon

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
I've just got this image of a cat all cross legged, hopping from foot to foot busting for a widdle but can't go because Master is trying to set light to the cat litter tray!

:D

thanks a lot for that mental image now everyone is looking at me because I'm laughing like an idiot.

Cat litters cheaper

cheeper than twigs found on the ground for free? where do you get your cat litter from that they pay you to take it? lol

ok, im sold, whos gonna sell me a cat??

I got a couple of dozzen you can have. as an additional note I'm told they taste like rabbit but I've never tried to eat them so I can say from experience (though they've tried to eat me lol)

Do cats catch spiders? cos im under full attack tonite, i think its that time of year when they all come back from their holidays

*shudder* yes they do *shudder* eat those horrid *shudder* eight legged spawns of satan *shudder*

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Cheers Dec ........ "Pine cones" is the deffinative answer, now which supermarket sells them in bulk?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE