Cat litter as hobo fuel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
While passing the pet section in Tesco, i noticed that the cat litter is now 'Wood Based', and a little lightbulb appeared over my head......

Could it be used as a pellet fuel in the ever popular hobo stoves we all know and love?

Haven't had chance to try it out yet, but as there are a lot of great minds on here, and great minds think alike, has anyone tried it?

I await the usual comments, comics and abuse. :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You may struggle as the pellets would bear down on each other and you my not get a good air flow like you do with wood which has natural gaps when laid together. Can't say it won't work though, it'd be worth trying it out.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I can tell you that it burns well - but not how well it burns in a hobo stove. I'm away this weekend and could have a play if you'd like :D .

EDIT: First bit should have read - I can tell you that it burns well in small quantities ...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
The pellets can, quite easily, be returned to their powdered state so I'll also do a 'Can it be lit from a spark' test - both hi and lo-tech (Presuming, that is, that we're talking about the same type of pellets - TESCO Premium Cat Litter).

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've just got this image of a cat all cross legged, hopping from foot to foot busting for a widdle but can't go because Master is trying to set light to the cat litter tray!

:D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
hobo stove.. I thought that the general idea was that fuel was sticks twigs lumps of wood laying about, even pine cones, generally whatever you find laying about when you need a brew, why carry a bag of cat litter? you may as well carry wood.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
The idea of a hobo stove is to burn whatever you can find that will burn and I always carry dry tinder - hence the question and willingness to experiment.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Anyone else get a memory of Cat from Red Dwarf on the back to front world having gone for a p in the bushes ? :lmao: when reading Spam's post ?

cheers,
Toddy

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Im kinda confused in that, if youre gonna go to the trouble of carrying cat litter, why not carry fire lighters, ot barbecue charcoal. . im missing the point or summat right?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE