Cast iron frying pan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
I am looking for a small (about 20 - 25 cm) cast iron frying pan for cooking over a fire can anyone recommend where to get one from or what brand.

have seen some that are £60+ I really don't want to pay that much if a can help it !

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Hi Elevenes
I use one of these there reversible And do just the same job.

Bernie

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cast-Iron-18-Griddle_W0QQitemZ170235066184QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170235066184&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
Cool cheers all

Bernie is there a reason for using that over a pan ?

does sausages and egs not fall off if not flat ? LOL

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Cool cheers all

Bernie is there a reason for using that over a pan ?

does sausages and egs not fall off if not flat ? LOL

Hi Elevenses
Its edged on both sides so the eggs,sausages wont fall off,one side is ribbed and one flat,its also easier to pack being flat,Spamel tried it out at the last meet and he was also impressed with it and the cast dutch oven.

Bernie

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Got a ridged type skillet and they are great paid about £10 but they ar ea bit harder to clean.....if bought another I would go for the reversible type plate or a lipped frying pan.
Dont rule out your local kitchen supplier mine had some nice pans locally cast for about £14 which would be as cheap as having them sent via the post and better for your carbon footprint!
D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Of course, with these cast iron pans and griddles, you don't want to be washing them. You'll spoil the seasoning that you've worked hard to achieve. When Bernies' griddle was a bit crudded up at the recent EMCCU meet, I carved a bit of wood to scrape the crud out from between the ridges and brushed it all off with a handful of clean grass. It was ready to go again and loads of people fried their morning bacon for the sarnies on it, nobody complained about any bad taste or bits of crud, it was just ready to go that quickly. I'm pretty sure they should be treated in the same way as a seasoned wok, so bring it up to heat and wipe it out with a cloth or kitchen towel.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
Cool cheers Spamel

I think I am going to try the one fro IKEA as posted by ColdIron

Thanks TTC you have confirmed what I was thinking also I like to do eggs so this was a deciding factor for me.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm sure Ronnie Sunshines does the whole set as well, or individual items. Once I get my cheque in from the Tax man (I got 100 quid back!) I'll be getting a few items from there!

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Got my skillet almost right now..... takes a fair bit of use and curing but once done is as non stick as a non stick coating.......just got to get the dutch oven right now!!! Took ages and still got a bit more work.#Dave

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
ok I have been to IKEA and bought the one suggested

when I got it home I covered it in cooking oil then put it in the oven for an hour then let it cool and repeated 4 times. Cooked eggs on it this morning and it was great. was a little area that was not the same colour as the rest and this was sticky ? maybe had not oiled it properly in that area. so added more oil while cooking. but still not changed to the same colour. im going to re do the whole thing in the oven again tonight.

so if anyone is after a cheap cast iron pan this is worth looking at :)

cheers all

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have several iron skillets of different sizes, years old, all well seasoned and all work well, but to be honest, the Tefal red spot pans are just fantastic, they are the best fry pans I have ever used.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me too, I only really use them for camping nowadays, they don't fit the cooker, the last cooker had a glass hob and I couldn't use them anyway, and they're just too awkward in the house.
Outside though, they are just excellent. Mine are old ones that have a spout at one side and over the top curved hanging handles...so does the girdle, it's about 45cms in diametre with the curved handle with a ring set into it. Brilliant to cook on anywhere with an open fire or an old cast iron stove.

I looked at those Ikea ones the other day and thought they were really good for the money. They had knock off lecreuset enamel cast iron dishes too at a fraction of the price I paid. I wondered about some of them as Dutch ovens.

cheers,
Toddy

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
That Ikea pan sure is cheap, maybe I should check it out. Thing is I have four cast iron frying pans already. :rolleyes: But maybe the Ikea one is a good camping one.

I was going to recommend the small Le Creuset "omelette" pan I have until I saw the price on the Ikea one.

This is mine, but mine's in orange:
lecreuset_omelettepan.jpg

It measures 20cm, however it is kind of heavy so only suitable if you aren't going to be carrying it very far. Ikea's at £4.99 sure is a lot cheaper than the Le Creuset at £34.

http://www.cookware-online.co.uk/ishop/930/shopscr337.html

My favourite cast iron pan is made by Wagner, it just lasts and lasts. I'd have gone through about twenty Teflon pans in the time I've had it.

There's an interesting Wikipedia article about cast iron cookware here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast_iron_cookware

The pictures of the two skilltets is the one I have. A bit of trivia: you can see these same pans in Back to the Future part III as part of the professor's invention.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE