Steel Frying Pan with Detachable Handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm looking for a shallow sided steel frying pan similar to a De Buyer Carbonne plus pancake pan but with either a detachable handle or one you can make a handle for from a branch. I'm looking for one about 8" or 21cm in diameter

I know they're out there as I've seen them but my google fu is weak today so thought to ask here as well for suggestions.

Please only suggest ones available via UK suppliers as I'm not looking to import one as it's not worth the effort or extra cost to do that.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
When you find one let me know coz I want one too. I’ve just walked away from a rusty iron one with a lid for £20 and I should have snatched his arm off.:banghead2:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How about a cast iron one that you can make a leather slip on handle cover ?

Reactions: Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Oooh - lightbulb. If it has a loop handle I can make a detachable “S” shaped lifter handle.
This may not help @Mesquite but thanks for the think!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
How about a cast iron one that you can make a leather slip on handle cover ?

Or the carbon steel 20cm version. Might be able to use a pot gripper on it, if shorten or remove the fixed one.

Reactions: Toddy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What about this Steve.
Or you could try something like this on an existing pan.
The Etsy pan is nice but you can't season stainless or if you can I've never succeeded

They DIY handle is a good idea but I don't have a donor pan to cut up :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Or the carbon steel 20cm version. Might be able to use a pot gripper on it, if shorten or remove the fixed one.

The folding handle aspect is the essential part but thanks for the suggestion

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Nicest one imo is a Robbans Smide (Swedish) but they don't seem to be available in the UK.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The folding handle aspect is the essential part but thanks for the suggestion
The Etsy pan is nice but you can't season stainless or if you can I've never succeeded

They DIY handle is a good idea but I don't have a donor pan to cut up :)

How to Season a Stainless Steel Pan

1. Wash and dry the pan. Use a gentle dish soap and warm water to thoroughly wash your stainless steel frying pan. Afterwards, rinse and dry your pan completely.
  2. Oil your pan. Once the pan is completely dry, heat it up on your stovetop. Then add a little bit of oil. You will want to use an oil with a high smoking point. Some examples include: sesame, vegetable, peanut, and soybean oil. Once you have added oil over medium heat, use a wad of paper towel to distribute the oil around the pan’s surface.
  3. Cool the pan. Once you have a hot pan, and it starts to smoke, remove it from the stovetop and let it cool. When your pan is cool, use another paper towel to remove the oil. (The environmentally friendly option is to substitute a clean, dry cloth for the paper towel).
  4. Repeat the process when necessary. When you find that food is once again sticking to your stainless steel pan, return to these steps and re-season it.

1. Should you Season stainless steel pans?​

Dalstrong Avalon Series Skillet Frying Pan and Lid Resting Against A White Kitchen Tiled Wall On A Grey Granite Counter

12" Skillet Frying Pan - Hammered Finish - Silver - The Avalon Series

This is your decision.

Unlike cast iron and carbon steel, it is not required to season your stainless steel cookware. However, many professional chefs and home cooks choose to do so.

The argument for seasoning your stainless steel pots and pans is that the oil will help seal in the pores in the metal, and therefore give your stainless steel pan more of a nonstick surface. This nonstick surface will lead to no-hassle cooking and easy cleanup.

While some may debate the benefits for seasoning your stainless steel cookware set, there really is no downside to the seasoning process for stainless steel. So, if you want a more slippery surface, go ahead and season.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

How to Season a Stainless Steel Pan

1. Wash and dry the pan. Use a gentle dish soap and warm water to thoroughly wash your stainless steel frying pan. Afterwards, rinse and dry your pan completely.
  2. Oil your pan. Once the pan is completely dry, heat it up on your stovetop. Then add a little bit of oil. You will want to use an oil with a high smoking point. Some examples include: sesame, vegetable, peanut, and soybean oil. Once you have added oil over medium heat, use a wad of paper towel to distribute the oil around the pan’s surface.
  3. Cool the pan. Once you have a hot pan, and it starts to smoke, remove it from the stovetop and let it cool. When your pan is cool, use another paper towel to remove the oil. (The environmentally friendly option is to substitute a clean, dry cloth for the paper towel).
  4. Repeat the process when necessary. When you find that food is once again sticking to your stainless steel pan, return to these steps and re-season it.

1. Should you Season stainless steel pans?​

Dalstrong Avalon Series Skillet Frying Pan and Lid Resting Against A White Kitchen Tiled Wall On A Grey Granite Counter

12" Skillet Frying Pan - Hammered Finish - Silver - The Avalon Series

This is your decision.

Unlike cast iron and carbon steel, it is not required to season your stainless steel cookware. However, many professional chefs and home cooks choose to do so.

The argument for seasoning your stainless steel pots and pans is that the oil will help seal in the pores in the metal, and therefore give your stainless steel pan more of a nonstick surface. This nonstick surface will lead to no-hassle cooking and easy cleanup.

While some may debate the benefits for seasoning your stainless steel cookware set, there really is no downside to the seasoning process for stainless steel. So, if you want a more slippery surface, go ahead and season.
I tried all that twice using veg oil and built up a lovely black surface both times.

Each time I used it the seasoning lifted off and I had to scrub the remaining bits off so didn't bother trying a third time

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Now. I make my own bread and use a shallow pressed tinware pan typical if cake tins.
I haven’t seasoned it deliberately but I do oil it when I use it and I bake at 200C. It is now very effectively seasoned.

If you can’t find what you are looking for might the heaviest duty circular baking tin you can find fitted with a folding handle built onto the rim fit the bill?

Not recommending this item as I can’t judge its weight but you get the idea?

IMG_5300.png
Oops - this is non stick. But bare steel is availabl

IMG_5301.jpeg
That’s better!

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've thought about modding a Petromax wrought iron pan to have a folding handle in various ways. A simple one would be to cut the handle to a short stub and let that into a wooden handle, drill, bolt, job done.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I know this isn’t what you are looking for but I thought I’d give it a go.
The pan is dirt cheap (£2) so I can’t lose.

I’ll use it tomorrow when I camp with my daughter and grandson.

I’m also looking for an easy and safe and smooth way to remove the non-stick coating. Like you I would prefer a seasoned steel surface.

Once I’ve (eventually) cleared the non-stick I’ll think about folding handles. I’ve seen interlocking wire loop folding handles that incorporate two overlapping rings for a stick extension. I’ll give that some thought to.
For now I’ll keep it simple.
Just thoughts.IMG_5341.jpeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE