Carving a garden gnome!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I am sure this is relevant to Bushcraft: it's wood and there are sharp instruments involved...And maybe the next one will be a Bushcrafter Gnome...:p The name's Ray....

So....I am carving a garden gnome and I thought you people might like to see it happenning. Not a tutorial as such, more a "work in progress". I am using Lime, the gnome is being carved in 5 parts, body, 2 arms and 2 legs. Oh, and there will be a wheelbarrow! I am trying to use as few tools as possible. I'll take a pic of the tools I'm using. The only electric involved will be the bandsaw to cut the blanks.

This is the left arm, raw off the bandsaw.

DSCF5570.jpg

Left and right arm carved. I think it's still a bit too big, but I'll wait until the boby comes along.
DSCF5567.jpg

DSCF5569.jpg

DSCF5568.jpg

The body, I've just started it at this point.

DSCF5572.jpg

DSCF5571.jpg

Last edited:

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
The only thing saving you from ridicule (and possibly burning at the stake) is the fact you're doing such a good job on that already.

Well done!

:) have to agree with biker, its an unusual subject havnt come across it before on here. but as you say wood, sharps = a project, result!. is he out of your head or a book? good skills so far either way, i suppose you could fill the wheelbarrow with bushy type gear, as if hes off to a meet? (fickle lot here, gain a few points) :D

but you will probably lose ground if you paint him in gaudy colours!! :lmao:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Great project! I love gnomes! Looking forward to the finished carving. It looks like it's coming together very very well.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
A garden gnome:

Frown - Nope
Attitude - Nope
Kill you with a withering look - Nope
Scares old dears and children into wetting themselves - Nope
Carved from a piece of tree - in this case, yes.

1 out of 5

hehehehehheheeee

But seriously - which is the most frightening? The polite well mannered smiling psychopath, or the angry grumbling weirdo?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
But seriously - which is the most frightening? The polite well mannered smiling psychopath, or the angry grumbling weirdo?

Ahaaaaaaa but you don't actually know that that garden gnome is actually a psychopath or really is as harmless as he looks and as dangerous as a lamb. However with a woodspirit you're left in no doubt.

Thinking about it, the same could be said about John Fenna

Harsh?

Sincere apologies to jojo for hijacking your thread mate. Try to think of it as "hits" your thread is now getting. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE