Carving a fen spade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I started this yesterday. I decided to make a spade from a piece of crokked wilow which I got for free the other week.
First cut's
sales804.jpg

Notching the sides to make it easier to pop them off
sales805.jpg

Sides and bark removed, spade head roughed in
sales806.jpg

Axing finished. The other log is the pair to the one I am carving, split with the froe
sales810.jpg

Axe finish
sales819.jpg

sales816.jpg

sales817.jpg

Using the scorp to refine the spade head. The roughing was done with an adze
sales830.jpg

Refining the form
sales846.jpg

sales847.jpg

sales844.jpg

sales848.jpg

sales834.jpg

Some tools I used. I worked on some of the bowls too today.....
sales842.jpg

Itching to use it....
sales839.jpg

It needs to dry, then do some final thinning and finishing cuts, soak in oil and fit an edge made of rivetted on tin. Although I might try steaming the end of the handle after splitting it then form it into a D shape and add a cross piece handle?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Any blacksmith worth their salt will know of Mr Brian Russell of Little Newsham Forge, Staindrop, County Durham. He is one of the country's best smiths. He made the scorp in the pictures, 2 inshaves, and a draw knife for me in 1991. I was newly married then and we could barely aford the £160 or so they cost. But they are still being used.....:) He doesnt often do little hand hammered forged jobs (he makes big ornamental railings, and gates for Buckingham palace, those sort of jobs forging 2 and 3 inch bar on a power hammer) but was very keen to do them for me :You_Rock_

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work, I'm enjoying seeing your carvings keep them coming.

All the best.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks for looking guys :). Another item I want to have a go at is making some steam bent hayforks from ash or oak, and also try making a slane (irish peat digging spade). Plus my chair parts which have been seaoning and weathering the last year or so are about ready for some assembly, I have a good feeling about those, after a lot of naff failures and also rans I think I am getting the hang of things a bit.....I love green woodworking :)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Excellent wip pics.Very nice to see and a fine collection of tools too!
Have you ever seen those old forks made from a tree branch?the ones where the tines have been trained into shape...

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I never saw any trained ones, but have seen ones that are split 2, 3 or even 4 times (for a 3,4 or 5 pronged hay fork) then steamed and formed on a mould. Trained sounds good though. LOL I was looking at some slanes, they are like bill hooks IE every village town and county seems to have developed their own particular variation on the basic design principle. All essentially the same, yet beautifully and uniquely individual IE genuine cultural diversity...:)

I never saw any trained ones, but have seen ones that are split 2, 3 or even 4 times (for a 3,4 or 5 pronged hay fork) then steamed and formed on a mould. Trained sounds good though. LOL I was looking at some slanes, they are like bill hooks IE every village town and county seems to have developed their own particular variation on the basic design principle. All essentially the same, yet beautifully and uniquely individual IE genuine cultural diversity...:)

Fantastic work. I noticed you on the bodger's forum too, I'm very much on the green woodworking side of the line, I was wondering do you use any other forums for green woodworking/traditional skills? Most of us practice and re-learn these skills in the privacy of our own lives and these forums offer a fantastic wealth of knowledge and a community of others on a similar path.

and there's always money for tools somewhere to be found!

Leo

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Again, thank you everyone for looking and for your kind comments:)

Leo, I dont go on any forums much now apart from bodgers, BCUK and Bernie's berax. I used to go on woodwork uk, was banned forom UK workshop :rolleyes::lmao:. Used to go on its not easy being green, but found its not easy understanding a lot of the conflicting stuff that gets posted there and gave up? :lmao:

Launditch, I found a french site that has 3 pronged forks trained from some sort of elm shrub's. Are these the ones you mean?
http://fourchedesauve.free.fr/fabricationA.htm

mochasidamo

Mar 8, 2010
Montgomery, Wales
Time on forums? Too much...Gets in the way of doing stuff but as I'm still pretty much resting I don't mind and have been back to a few old haunts! As long as people talk sense...

...mind wouldn't have lasted a week here if I hadn't worked out how to turn the threads right way up!

I've seen those 3 pronged forks and more-pronged rakes for sale in France and other mountainous areas....cool: but plan ahead 6-8 years. Hmmm.....

Nice work Mr D :). No shortage of willow here - another future project maybe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE