Carving a fen spade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I wondered how long that would take you Eric :rolleyes:

Fortunately I have kept my carving axe, laplander, various knives and spoon knives - in fact, all my bushy tools that I can carry around in my pack, so it's not so bad. I can't see me making spades forks and rakes any more anyway. They don't sell for anywhere near what they are worth. Ikea and eastern europe have killed off the woodland crafts industry in this country.

To be perfectly honest, if I wanted to make some serious money with this sort of thing, I'd take a large artic over to Romania, Poland and Bulgaria and load up with stuff from their craftsmen - for pennies. Then bring them back and set up a demo stall at craft fairs here whittling a spoon all day and have all these things on sale. I could make a living that way, but not if I had to make everything myself.

Eric

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
A vast amount of ikea product is made in the peoples republic now, not only eastern europe. I think they are a shadow of what they once were. Hardsloydlife (on youtube) is I think, the true spirit of ikea :You_Rock_ Just think what it would be like if ikea was an open market for hand made artisan product's, paying the makers decent and cut out the depressing need for uniformity and dependence on huugely expensive machinery and tooling. Like the stores could be bazaars where you never know what you might find, no 2 items exactly the same, stock varying from week to week etc:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE