How to carve a simple Acorn Bead

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
acorn-finished.JPG

I saw a picture of one of these hanging on British Red's knife lanyard and thought "I can make that!" It's a pretty simple project and can be easily completed in one sitting without any special tools. I only thought of making a how to as I was finishing up, but if you've done any carving at all it's pretty self explanatory...

acorn-step1.JPG

The first step is to bore the hole in the stock - use a piece of wood that is of appropriate diameter, but several inches long to give you a good handle while you are carving - drill deep and you can get several beads out of one stick. This is kiln dried cherry wood which is a nice color and fairly easy to carve something small like this. I have made these down to about 3/8 inch diameter and up to the size of this one. Obviously there are many shapes of acorns that you can emulate.

acorn-step2.JPG

Round off the acorn cap and start the nut by making a stop cut around the circumference, and cutting up to the stop. I filed the cross hatch texture of the acorn cap with the corner of a small file - a triangle file might be better, but I just used a rectangular one that I had at hand - I need more practice on this part for sure.

acorn-step3.JPG

Refine the shape of the nut, and continue carving in toward the bottom until you free it from the stock.

acorn-step4.JPG

Once you've cut the nut free you can wedge it onto a dowel like this so that you can easily finish carving the bottom. Sand or finish as you choose. Nice little hand made Christmas stocking stuffer, lanyard bead, zipper pull, etc. I did this one at the kitchen table while the better half was crocheting and we were all (Grandkids) watching a bit of TV. If anyone is interested and would like to have a few more steps included I will gladly do another and take more pictures.

Last edited:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
That's cracking. Been thinking of doing something along those lines for a bit. Superb.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's come out really nicely David, you just need to do another and get a lemon squeezer hat & you'll be set. Good tutorial too.
Wonder how it would look if made from a piece of antler?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I was thinking he maybe meant Gean (wild/sweet cherry) though it could be green. Not sure if they use the name gean/geen in the Nordic countries

I was thinking he maybe meant Gean (wild/sweet cherry) though it could be green. Not sure if they use the name gean/geen in the Nordic countries

See - I thought that he meant freshly cut, not dried. But I did indeed misread it, and I was not familiar with that name - so thanks. Still, I bet that green gean is easier to carve than dry gean!

And thanks to everyone for the positive comments.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Thank you for the pics and how to, I had my first go at carving/whittling last night, only had some oak offcut from a kitchen worktop, will be getting in some different pieces today,
I'm pleased how it went, a few mistakes were made but was easy to correct, I've got the bug now so will be doing more tonight,

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
It doesn't have a hole in the middle as it is meant for a window sill ornament. Made from cherry wood too.

I think these should be added to the carving challenge thread and become the new challenge!

And a previous attempt with a different style and unknown wood

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE