Carrying Sharps on International Flights?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me, I am planning to go out to the Philippines, next year for a break, hopefully for a month or maybe two. Whilst there, I am hopeing to spend a week or so out in the bush, probably near my fiances village, nothing to adventurous. Obviously I plan on taking my own kit out with me from the UK, and I am curious what is the set up, when carrying a knife or machete, in your luggage.

I presume you have to inform the airline of your intention to do this, and presumably it has to be checked into the hold?

Can anyone give advise on this, or any other problems I may come across?

Thanks, Hjaltlander

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Just got back from Spain and I took my Clipper, Laplander and some carving tools. No problem, although my bag had to go through the ousized channel because of the straps and was x-rayed while I was there. He looked twice but it was fine.

From the airline and BAA's point of view they are only interested in what happens in the airport and on the flight.

Interestingly I accidently came back with a chunk of very sharp flint in my coat pocket. Went through without a whisper.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I too have just flown back into the country. I was in southern France teaching bushcraft so I was carrying a SFA and 15 knives. my only problem was staying inside my baggage allowance.

Make sure your sharps are not readily accessable and you should have no probem.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
As long as it is in your hold luggage it's no problem. Might want to check out the local laws concerning carry so you don't run into trouble once you land.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I went to Egypt recently and some idiot tried to bring a knife onto the plane, in his hand lugagge. He volunteered to flight crew that he had it and they took it off him and put it into the hold of the plane. They said he might not be able to get it back because it might get lost during unloading. However I saw it in an envelope going around the carousel when I was collecting my case (I was tempted to lob it into a bin, as he'd delayed the flight by 20 minutes with his fathing around).

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I presume you have to inform the airline of your intention to do this, and presumably it has to be checked into the hold?

There is no need to inform the airline, simply check that your edged tool conforms to local laws in the country you are visiting (blades with false edges are often confiscated in Australia for example) and pack it securely into your hold luggage.

I wouldn’t take a machete to the Philippines; you will find something far more suited to the environment manufactured in country, especially if you ask around local communities for the blacksmith.

OutBackP

Jul 5, 2006
Bridport, Dorset
Stuart said:
There is no need to inform the airline, simply check that your edged tool conforms to local laws in the country you are visiting (blades with false edges are often confiscated in Australia for example) and pack it securely into your hold luggage.
Sorry Stuart what's a false edge?? :confused:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
A false edge or 'Swedge' is an additional unsharpened bevel on the back of the blade to enhance the tip for easier penetration. Is not normally a desirable feature on a Bushcraft knife but I made mention of it to highlight a point :rolleyes:

I have been informed that many Australian customs officials are under the mistaken opinion that a blade with a false edge is the same a double edged blade :confused: and there for illegal in Australia under its laws prohibiting daggers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE