Carnivore only Diet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Pure personal experience with zero scientific knowledge:
I think the carnivore diet has appealed to people with digestive issues over the last few years (seems to crop up a lot).

Depending on what I eat (still figuring that out) I can have a pretty awkward stomach. Back in Sept last year we visited the in laws and camped in their garden for 10 days, so cooked on a BBQ, I ate mostly meat - steaks, prawns, sausages etc, had rolls and wraps and a bit if salad and honestly it was strange how fine my stomach was...

Energy wise I felt great. I did always have a nagging feeling of "is this healthy" going off though. I was brought up to eat salad or veggies with my meals so it felt odd not to (for the most part).

Maybe something to do with the various amounts of chemicals that are used on our typical western food staples and how that then transfers into the gut lining.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Now the funny thing is, the BBQ diet works well for me too. Less carbs, plenty of greens and by many folks standards, a large amount of protein.

And probably a large amount of natural Fat also - which until recently was seen as the bad guy in the room but is more easy on the bodies biochemistry I would argue.

Carbs - especially processed carbs have a tendency to spike the Insulin response , alter the IGF and play havoc with the blood sugar levels.

The idea that so many of our Branded breakfast cereals are either now been influenced to have chocolate or extra frosted sugar is a bot alarming.

The days of going to work on a Egg need to see a comeback, Protein, ( Good ) Fats , Vitamins - lots to be said for a Few boiled eggs in the morning

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I was also fed Tripe. Under the tyrannical use of the Cane however. It always tasted just wrong.

Can I ask how yours was cooked? Ours always seemed to be boiled in Milk with an Onion to hide the taste of silage.... ( fail )

However recently I've tried to find Tripe in local Butchers as I want to try to revisit it but no butchers are selling it.

Black Pudding is always good.
Pretty sure my parents told me that Scrapie had been on the go for a couple of hundred years so its not a new thing.
BSE in cattle and CJD in humans were much more recent if I remember right.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Pretty sure my parents told me that Scrapie had been on the go for a couple of hundred years so its not a new thing.
BSE in cattle and CJD in humans were much more recent if I remember right.

??

Not sure what you are commenting upon?

I had to look up Scrapie.

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I tried the carnivore diet and ended up eating lots of cabbage and drinking oj
My body won’t tolerate such a diet.
But I suppose meat quality and the diet of the animals eaten would play a part

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I tried the carnivore diet and ended up eating lots of cabbage and drinking oj
My body won’t tolerate such a diet.
But I suppose meat quality and the diet of the animals eaten would play a part

Can I ask what reason prompted you to try it?

Thanks for the feedback - at least you gave a different lifestyle a chance.

Reactions: TLM

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It certainly would slim your wallet

Depends.

Alot of people say that without actually looking at the volume and quality of food ( crap ) that they DO actually eat.

Carbs ARE cheap - doesn't necessarily mean its good to gorge on them however.

Many people on a Carnivore diet seem to become very sated on the smaller amounts of higher quality meat - especially if one includes Offal (Kidney, Liver etc ) which are out of favour these days yet highly nutritious and cheap!!!

Two meals a day of high quality amino acids seem to neutralise hunger very quickly whilst those whom ride the Carb train can get the roller coaster of insulin release.

Many people will blow £4 on a starbucks coffee without a second thought as a daily vice or knock back a packet of cigarettes ( £10 ) or the more occasional vending machine chocolate bar ( £1 ) without a second thought.

I think the takeway thought should not be thinking one is going to necessarily be eating prime cuts of steak at every meal. Plenty of options for more wallet friendly lifestyle.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Had a catch up chat with my mother recently and was trying to get an insight into what we were fed as children.

I think I've mentioned Kidneys , Liver , Heart , Tripe and Tongue as some of the things I remember ( some more fondly than others ).

But she also mentioned we had on occasion SWEETBREADS and CHITTERLINGS. I wonder if anyone else does/has/do eat such things?

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I did an order on 'muscle food' last year, I honestly can't remember how they stacked up compared to lidl, but I seem to recall their prices were close (maybe cheaper, maybe more?).

We (wife and I, probably more I than her) got a lot of meals out of the order.

One way we reduced our carbs was to reduce bread consumption, ways around this was to use a lettuce leaf (can't remember they type of lettuce - longer leaf) as a wrap for chicken or beef. Obviously still carbs with the veggies involved, but much less.... Slightly off topic I guess to include vegetables in this carnivorous thread.

Reactions: dnarcher and TeeDee

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
I eat mainly fruit and meat, by choice. I often eat an evening meal at 8pm, bowl of porridge an coffee at 6 am, nothing but water til evening meal, and never feel particularly hungry. If I have pasta or pizza, I'm starving by midday. Anybody mentioned Rabbit starvation?.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I eat mainly fruit and meat, by choice. I often eat an evening meal at 8pm, bowl of porridge an coffee at 6 am, nothing but water til evening meal, and never feel particularly hungry. If I have pasta or pizza, I'm starving by midday. Anybody mentioned Rabbit starvation?.

Do you mix the fruit and meat at the same meal or keep separate?

Agree Oats and i suspect the Fibre content can keep one fuller for longer despite being Carbs whilst as you say Pasta/Pizza can create a hunger pang soon after.

I have mentioned Rabbit starvation but should be reiterated Rabbit meat is VERY lean and thus lacking in Fat - as Protein is has a Thermic effect its difficult to eat Rabbit Meat ONLY and gain weight - especially in very cold environments.

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
I eat lots of fruit, occasional raw veggies, meat in the same meal, though often have a piece of fruit before bed time. It's not about following rules, just what I enjoy, quick and easy.

KatBetter

Jul 16, 2021
Bristol
I know we have some incredibly well read and educated people here specifically with an understanding of various societies ( past and present ) and their behaviours and habits.

So currently I'm interested in any examples related to people eating ONLY direct animal products?

ie - a Carnivore Diet.

Do they suffer with any health issues across their demographic or not?

Thanks,
Pm me.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Humans have lost the abilities ( if they ever had them) to synthesize all the biomolecules that they need in metabolism. Biochemical fact. Not all of these nutrients are found in meats no mater how diverse the supply is. So in the end, fact is, a strickt meat diet will kill a human. The variety of teeth that I have, the structure of my digestive tract, define me as an omnivore with some 5 million years of experience.

Even our bears, both black and grizz, are omnivorous, eating huge quantities of spring grass, ripened grain fields and the wide variety of wild berry fruits that we all enjoy here.
I eat nothing but meat organs brain eggs ect for a over a year no carbs no fibre as a experiment adapting is hard first 2 months but after that it’s easy ,liss cardio is easy only thing affected is hitt cardio and heavy lifting I also got a ripped physique.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
And probably a large amount of natural Fat also - which until recently was seen as the bad guy in the room but is more easy on the bodies biochemistry I would argue.

Carbs - especially processed carbs have a tendency to spike the Insulin response , alter the IGF and play havoc with the blood sugar levels.

The idea that so many of our Branded breakfast cereals are either now been influenced to have chocolate or extra frosted sugar is a bot alarming.

The days of going to work on a Egg need to see a comeback, Protein, ( Good ) Fats , Vitamins - lots to be said for a Few boiled eggs in the morning
Processed Sugar burns holes in teeth I’m convinced it does to same to tiny veins behind the eyes n causes blindness in diabetes sufferers/raw unheated organic honey though is great.

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
That the Inuit are healthy is one of those myths that keeps going around. They're healthy by virtue of almost never visiting hospitals or doctors. Their life expectancy isn't that great and they get heart disease. Still, the animals they eat are healthy at least. It could always be worse. Try living off discount chicken and beef. That's what a westerner doing carnivore diet would likely do, as it's not a cheap diet to begin with.

Look into the Blue Zones and their ancestral diets. Look at the "Three Sisters" of Native Americans. Complex starches, veggies and fruits are your friend. Meat is fine to round out a nutritional profile and ideally as a condiment. That's my take on it anyway. Nutritional science is a battlefield and there are studies supporting all kinds of weird things.

Reactions: nigelp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE