Carl Sagan on Humanity

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
So what does the bushcraft folk think about the future and where the world is going?

Are bushcrafters and outdoor enthusiasts better people? Do we have our home planet in high regard?

Or do we still have a lot to learn?

Will our decendants be able to explore other planets like people explored our world? Will there be a time where true survival pioneers are once again in need?

YouTube embed is not working, so please click the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY59wZdCDo0&feature=channel_video_title

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
So what does the bushcraft folk think about the future and where the world is going?

I think it will be pretty grim for most. :(

Are bushcrafters and outdoor enthusiasts better people?

Not necessarily, no.

Do we have our home planet in high regard?

Perhaps 'bushcrafters' do, more than your average 'westerner' anyway.

Or do we still have a lot to learn?

There is always more to learn.

Will our decendants be able to explore other planets like people explored our world?

No, not "like people explored our world".

Will there be a time where true survival pioneers are once again in need?

Possibly, but they won't have to travel so far to use their 'pioneer' skills.

:)

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Thank you, NASA, for a load of self-serving, egotistical, sentimental, nonsensical tosh.

We can't even agree what to do about a bankrupt third-world country that lied on its CV to get into the club in the first place, never mind what we're going to do with another habitable planet if we happen to come across one (and if it also happens to be unoccupied -- heaven forbid that it should be occupied, we've all seen what happens then).

We've already destroyed thirty percent of the fish in the seas and it will take us about another fifty years to destroy the rest. The scientific communities have been telling governments what's going to happen for decades, and governments have ignored them. Coastal fishing is finished. There haven't been any cod on the Grand Banks since 1992 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Atlantic-Cod-Stocks.jpg). North Sea catches are in terminal decline. Human activity has already destroyed ten percent of the world's coral, sixty percent is endangered world-wide and in Asia the figure is nearer eighty percent. We're now consuming resources 30% faster than the planet can sustain and we're PLANNING -- I say again we are PLANNING -- not only for an INCREASE in the world's population of more than the number that was on the planet when I was born, but in addition to that, we're PLANNING for each and every one of those people to consume a great deal more than we do already.

It's madness on a colossal scale.

Our collective governments tell us it's a disaster if there's no growth. I'm saying it will be a disaster if we don't stop it.

Where's the world going? At this rate, to Hell in a handcart.

Incidentally even at the fastest speed to which we have ever managed to accelerate any spacecraft (and that was cheating, but never mind that for now), it would take something like twenty thousand years to reach the nearest star. We don't even know if that star has any planets, so it would be taking a bit of a leap of faith with an investment that would make the Greek bailout look like Sunday morning collection at a Methodist chapel.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
ged, agree with you totally there. I'm from a small country where the population is 1.35 million. Our government is constantly talking about how we need to have more women giving birth because we risk wiping out our culture. I'd sacrifice my culture, my language and my people if that meant my grandchildren could live in a normal world. There can not be unlimited growth in a limited world. All this talk about economic growth (the slogan of the winner of our recent elections was based on economic growth) to help propel the country forward is complete rubbish.
It's impossible to put it to words how much petty regional politics and greed angers me.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
ged, agree with you totally there. I'm from a small country where the population is 1.35 million. Our government is constantly talking about how we need to have more women giving birth because we risk wiping out our culture. I'd sacrifice my culture, my language and my people if that meant my grandchildren could live in a normal world...

The problem is, how do you assure that the culture replacing it isn't worse for Earth and the environment? Historically declining cultures have been replaced by developing cultures with ravenous appetites.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
The problem is, how do you assure that the culture replacing it isn't worse for Earth and the environment? Historically declining cultures have been replaced by developing cultures with ravenous appetites.

You can't assure it.

It's true that development has always killed off the more peaceful and primitive cultures. I just hope that one day people realise that development needs to have in mind humanity as a whole, not the (economic) interests of a small group. I also hope people realise it before it is too late. :)

I have a selfish sense of "it's still ok" because there are still uninhabited and wild areas in the world that I can explore. It's all false security however since we are destroying it far too rapidly. My children can probably enjoy the same outdoor wonders in Estonia as I did when I was a child, but there are people all over the world who don't have that privilege.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
It's interesting to think about.

Bushcrafters are not "better people" we just hold nature in high regard so we take it as "good". Whereas somoene who does not hold nature in high regard may consider it "good".

"Better" is a highly subject term.

The same way the word primitive has negative connotations and technological advancement has positive connotations. It's too subjective

If we look at "Advancement" then it's highly subjective also.

The future on earth for wilderness areas is grim.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Kin ell.
Looks like I've just stumbled into a Pessimists Anonymous meeting here...

Oh and I liked the clip, thank you Jaan for posting it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

"This old world ain't so bad a place,
as some folks try to make it.
But good or bad ?
Depends on how you take it. "

:D
I'm an optimist, and humanity is the most creative and adaptive creature on the planet :cool:
We also learn, and we are changing our behaviour.
We're actually getting better at being aware of our environmental clashes with our cultural desires.

We'll only explore other planets outside our own solar system if we ever crack the speed of light travel. Until then, no chance. We haven't even managed to crack suspended animation effectively.
Maybe in time, but not soon, I reckon.

cheers,
Toddy.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Me too.

The people who will thrive in the future will be those who can change.

They will probably be high tech...But that doesnt preclude traditional life, far from it

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Toddy, I have to disagree.

Isn't the cartoon Spiderman suspended animation?

Hahahahaha Bushcrafter Bob, you can keep your tinned sausages in lard. It's the compo goulash for me neebs.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE