Canvas tent modifying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I have recently bought a Greenoutdoor Bush Shelter like this:

AEAC2670-29FB-4267-AA34-FD36A77E76FF_zpsx36lfuq3.jpg

Construction on the whole seems good, and in many areas there has obviously been a good deal of thought and care taken, however in some areas I think there is room for improvement.

On the stock picture you can see that the valance is pegged out:

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-27%20at%2016.01.35_zpsxngya63w.png

There is then a seam running a foot or so above the valance which is also pegged at the corners and in the middle of each panel.

0C7FCBEC-4A46-4145-BB36-84FB71389CD3_zpss8lbnyex.jpg

However, the peg loops on the valance are completely inadequate thin loops, (some have come off):

C5CCD796-A1DC-4BD6-889F-578E6D1A02CA_zps3nc4oedf.jpg

I'd like some advice on the best way to improve this.

My initial thought was to put reinforced peg loops in between the existing ones on the bottom seam.

Second thought was to put reinforced peg loops along the valance at each quarter point - given something needs to be done about the valance loops anyway, this might be easier?

Or do both?

Any advice would be appreciated. I do intend to do the sewing my self, so any material suggests would also be appreciated.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Greg I would add pegs to the corners of the seem of the valance. Also look at the tension you can achieve with the guy ropes. Make sure you have no dips for water to pool. You want tension evenly distributed like in the stock photo.

i have a number of green outdoor canvas wings and a shelter.

Where did you purchase yours from as I can't get the website to load.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I bought mine second hand. I think they ceased trading some time a go. Over the last couple of days someone has completely pulled the plug on the website.

Regarding the pitching - due to the insubstantial nature of the valance loops some of them have gone under previous ownership. I think however it is those I am going to replace first. I wonder if the design of these loops was improved, but it is impossible to tell from the stock pics.

It's a good tent at the moment, with some tweaking it could be a great tent

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
In the end I replaced all the valance peg loops with reinforced loops using nylon webbing. This allows the tent to be pitched properly and makes the whole thing taut and secure.

758C7ACF-468B-4831-A9CF-76B295C39479_zpswhol81qg.jpg

Pleased with the result.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE