Canvas Berghaus Crusader

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I've been yacking to Cliff via pm and spinning the odd Dit etc...

Anyhow... Cliffs new Crusader is first class. By way of comparison here are a few detail shots of the VC

5043mb_23-1.jpg

A bit like Cliff my VC was in ebay parlance BNWT... How and why someone would cough up a heap of cash and then not use it who knows....

IMG_1136.jpg

One thing is for sure this is a BIG Bergen...

Unlike the Crusader that has the enduring facet of simplicity the VC has a lot of whistles and bells... TBH taking photos of them all is a PITA but here are a few of the salient ones...

1. Removeable waist belt...

IMG_1138-1.jpg

The waist belt is retained by two pins made from alloy bar these are held in place by a coule of poppers popping the poppers and pulling the pins releases the waist belt...

2. Climbing / Abseil Harness
Once removed ( or in place) the waist belt has a couple of pouches which while proving useful for a small camera and GPS also house a harness the leg loops feature a couple of roll pin buckles and there are two loops that join for a tie in point..

IMG_1148.jpg

Argueably the VC's stand out feature.....

3. Floating lid

These days floating lids are all the rage but back in the 80's they were unsusual the VC has a row of ladder lock buckles that allow the lid to float upwards.

IMG_1140-1.jpg

so if you're that way inclined you can fit a 3/4 full camelback motherlode under the lid

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

4. Side pockets

Rather than run with what is now the military standard Crusader type zip on pocket the VC uses 4 pockets 2 at the top and 2 larger ones at the bottom.. These have a envelope style closure..

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

The top ones suck up a 58 patt water bottle with no problems..

IMG_1146.jpg

behind the pockets is a tunnel which would fit skis or poles or antenna sections or in this case the excellent G3 snow shovel ( accept no substitutes)

IMG_1147.jpg

On opening the lid there are a couple of compression straps that hep to compress the load or secure say a climbing rope etc..

IMG_1141-Copy.jpg

The lid itself has a huge pocket in the top ( with the zip on the right side) this sucks up a huge ammount of kit it must be 10 ltrs

On the inside there is a zipped pocket...

IMG_1142-1.jpg

Finally there is the back system.. Again a contrast to the Crusader the VC uses Lowe Alpines Paralux back system

IMG_1137-1.jpg

Finally no doubting what you have...

IMG_1143-1.jpg

here is some period material detailing the features:

079753b_23.jpg

3093kii_23.jpg

6431gb0_23.jpg

Big mahoosive... Droopy Moostache required..

Cheers

John

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Mate I love that bergen I remember lusting after them in the day only ever seen pictures in magazines and at £300 in the mid 1980s soooooooo expensive ,
But looking at it yours I can see why with all the features that are the norm now excluding the absail harness:rolleyes: on top of the range SF bergans well ahead of its time .
Never seen one in the flesh .

Nice one :)

We must start looking at some more lowe alpine
Twodogs

Last edited:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Gordy... A version of it was issued to your 'snake eaters' as well....

Speaking of "snake eaters", here is the "real deal". CSM (ret) Charles McClung, then an SFC and my ROTC Senior Enlisted Military Instructor. He retired as an SF CSM. I owe a tremendous debt to him for my initial development as an Army Officer.
scan0001-5.jpg

Gordy

Last edited:

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I have asked the same question I have three havily used DPM packs two Berghaus one Arktis , On the three packs all have had loads of use the colours are still bright as the day thay were made ,
However all the PLCE kit thats half its age with less usage the colour seems washed out . I think its just cheaper fabric
Twodogs

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Can anyone tell me why the British DPM cordura ( What ever the brand/type of bergen) fades quicker & more completely than any other 'nationality's camo.........................the O.D./O.G. seems better at resisting the riggeurs of time.................

My eldest has just joined the Mob, went to training barracks to have a look around last weekend, his DPM (not multicam) clothing is all brand spanking new but his bergen! The only way that would be camo is if he needs to hide against a background consisting of brown curtains that have faded in the sun! Hope he gets a decent kit when he arrives at his final unit!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
My eldest has just joined the Mob, went to training barracks to have a look around last weekend, his DPM (not multicam) clothing is all brand spanking new but his bergen! The only way that would be camo is if he needs to hide against a background consisting of brown curtains that have faded in the sun! Hope he gets a decent kit when he arrives at his final unit!

Thank him for his Service.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Can anyone tell me why the British DPM cordura ( What ever the brand/type of bergen) fades quicker & more completely than any other 'nationality's camo.........................the O.D./O.G. seems better at resisting the riggeurs of time.................

It may well be to do with the fabric dyes having to meet a MOD requirement to be Infra Red Resistant IRR... The older Berghaus, LA, Arktis stuff probably isnt IRR or doesnt meet the MOD's current IRR spec.

For us as users in the civillian world this makes not one iota of difference...

The faded kit is ok it gives you that 'Old Sweat status' tape up all of the straps with black nasty or 'sniper' tape and you're home and dry....

HTH

John

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE