Canvas Berghaus Crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Here we go then, the Swedish Haglofs LK70 :cool:

Massive lid that covers well including the side pouches, even when loaded right up. There are attachment points on the top for the other load carrying kit. There are two internal pockets within.

000_0725.jpg

No sweaty backs here, external frame. The pack is heavier than others, but very comfy and well made.

000_0727.jpg

Snow locks/extra protection from rain, on all 4 compartments.
My Czech bread bag lives in here full of stove stuff and small bits of kit. Often move stuff about in it so I can take 1 litre water and other bits for a stroll after camp set up.

000_0731.jpg

Some nice leather strappage

000_0729.jpg

000_0734.jpg

.. and a groovy tie lock for use with gloves on I think.

000_0730.jpg

Its just so well made, and the pockets are just the right size and I can walk through a gate without getting stuck :)

000_0736.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the show folks, late home from work today so couldn't get all woodlandy with it for the shots I'm afraid.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I think I should say a massive word of thanks to Cliff (Two Dogs). He advised on this bergan and sorted out the transaction for me as well.
Also he's looked over it and sorted out some repairs. Cheers Cliff top bloke.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Some sweet, sweet bergans fellas... I've only ever seen pictures of the LK70 but I gotta say I'm loving all that leather and canvas, looks right nice. Are they getting hard to source thesedays or are they still about? That's a fine example of modern vintage there, it's pressing all the right buttons. Thanks for sharing Paul!

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
on the subject of old school bergens, has anyone got one of those external framed royal marines arctic bergens? the frame extended down past the main sack so you could strap on your tent/sleeping bag on the outside.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
The we guy in the middle looks a bit out of place, like he is filling in for his big brother.:D

Craig............

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
It has to be the falklands from the state that they are in. they look like they are carring some serious weight .

Craig........

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
It has to be the falklands from the state that they are in. they look like they are carring some serious weight .

Craig........

Aye no worrying about a sweaty back panel or if you're getting optimum weight distribution onto the hipbelt with those boys... Just a case of Crack on I suspect...

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Interesting thread this folks, here's a few of my old favourites.............................

Old Berghaus Cyclops

008.jpg

Karrimor Pinnacle 2 canvas

010-1.jpg

Karrimor Outward Bound II canvas

009-1.jpg

Karrimor Alpiniste

012-3.jpg

Karrimor Hot Route

011-1.jpg

Karrimor Condor

014-1.jpg

Very nice.... original Cyclops eh who said zipped pockets in waistbelts were a new idea.... I can see you are a Bit of a Karrimor Fan as well... good work....

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Talking about big Swedish rucsacs, here's Big Swede with a big Swedish rucsac:

P1170867.jpg

Bear in mind that he's about 6' 4", and you'll realise how big the pack is.

Compared to a Vulcan on my 6' 1" frame:

P1160788.jpg

Cheers, Michael.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Here you go for those that like the heady mix of DPM and external frames....

The Current Kiwi issue Bergen... Based on an ALICE frame...

158659222_full.jpg

158775835_full.jpg

Better shoulder straps.... But still Ouch

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
158775835_full.jpg

Better shoulder straps.... But still Ouch

Nice looking ruck. Then this view...hands started getting sweaty, breathing became sporadic and I started pushing my forehead forward into the "FIDO" lean. Breath steady, relax, go to my happy place in my mind. :D

In all seriousness, I see the fastex buckles on the shoulder straps and realize they are intended for quick reaction disconnect. I wonder how well they hold up to "soldiering" loads?

Gordy

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Nice looking ruck. Then this view...hands started getting sweaty, breathing became sporadic and I started pushing my forehead forward into the "FIDO" lean. Breath steady, relax, go to my happy place in my mind. :D

In all seriousness, I see the fastex buckles on the shoulder straps and realize they are intended for quick reaction disconnect. I wonder how well they hold up to "soldiering" loads?

Gordy

Hi Gordy...

Deep breaths and keep taking the medication... PS I like your coleman stove in your camping pictures..

Any how.. I think the fastex buckles are fine. I have them on my camelback Motherlode and they havent given me any problems.. Similarly the NZ Alice the blokes I've spoken to that use em have not reported any problems with em...

1220174594-Serious_firepower_and_easy_to_loose_rucksacs.jpg

Cheers

John

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Your next picture provided the meds. Love the AUG and the SAW. We ruptured a few of those early barrels on the M249 when we first got them in my regiment. Pretty good in the automatic rifleman role but leaves alot to be desired in the MG(LMG) role. The "Pig" (M60 then M240B now), is still the "backbone" in the MG role.

Still have the Peak 1.
Gordy

Last edited:

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Tuborg. Rene and Renata :)

A while back the Berghaus Atlas was mentioned. Mooching about on the web today (as you do :rolleyes:) I came across this write up from Germany:

Link

I've left you to use what ever translating computermibob is your thang, but the pictures pretty well cover the differences between Vulcan and Atlas.

Just for info.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE