canteen cup lid - DIY

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Personally I just use some heavy Ali foil from a Pie dish. If you go to a heating/plumbing merchant ask for gas closure plate comes in much larger sheets than shown, and a little thicker, but useful for all sorts.

Mike

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Me too Mad Mike, and its "crumpleable" (a new word?) so can be stored in the mug/canteen when carrying.

Liam

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Admittedly, I also use the pie-tin foil for a lid (with gaffer-tape "handle" to lift it), but this looked much neater!

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
I Use a Crusader mug. 'Improved' with a small hole drilled in the rim opposite the handle.
This allows easy hanging with a short length of light chain. Ali foil still fits easily

Its neat enough for me

CrusaderChain.jpg

(Old Picture see my sig links)
If I cannot use a fire I have a homemade alcohol burner that fits neatly in the Crusader cook base.
It all fits in the water bottle pouch with the foil lid & a Millbank filter bag, so just hangs on your belt.

Mike

Last edited:

Mikko S

Mar 13, 2010
Helsinki, Finland
You don't need to cut the lip, it makes the lid ugly. You can use hammer and go round tapping it around the lip of the cup making a nice bend. I don't have a picture of the lid I made for my US canteen cup, but here is similar one I made for my Trangia pot.

trangia_lid.med.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I did this lid before Christmas on my French Army canteen cup. I have two cup one's ally the other SS obviusly having a lid would improve boil and cooking times so I set about making my own. here's the series of pictures I took. Hope I don't need to explain how i did it, suffice to say I cut the wooden base and peaned the edge of the alluminum flashing over it to make a scrolled edge. Just need to fit some sort of knob to lift it off with now. Does the job whatever.

Thanks for the link above. It's a shame really as I have a crusader cup lid but it doesn't fir into the canteen cups I have. Might put that up in the Gift it on thread one day. I got it from there to start with in a lucky dip selection.

Anyway hope the pictures are clear enough

Canteen-lid1.jpg

Canteen-lid2.jpg

Canteen-lid3.jpg

Canteen-lid4.jpg

Canteen-lid5.jpg

Canteen-lid6.jpg

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
You can make a decent lid using the base of an old ali camping cookset pan......mikko is right, it's much better to hammer the lip bend rather than cutting it into strips.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE