Evolution of a canteen carrier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Anyone who knows me knows I like to travel light, in the past I used a modified M56 canteen pouch that I added a strap to and a couple of small pouches, it was enough to carry my canteen/cup/stove set along with a small tin firekit, a firesteel and a SAK . It went everywhere with me for years but it let me down onlybecause that was as much as I could carry in it and I really wanted to be ableto add a little food and a FAK

So my next attempt was to try a Condor H2o – it had anadditional pouch and the ability to add a molle pouch or 2, the only down sidewas it was for a Nalgene rather than a GI set, it allowed me to add a FAK andadd some trail food, the only problem was it rode terribly, swung around a lot andwas really badly weighted so I went back to searching. I quickly dismissed the Maxpedititon M4 – it would have carried the canteen ok but the front pouch was too small and I would have instantly had to replace the side pouches as they wouldn’t have fitted/kept safe my kit, so I kept on looking.

The first real setup that leapt out at me was this beast

View attachment 43310

It’s called the Mother canteen carrier and its made in theUS by centreline systems – It would have been just the thing with plenty ofpouch space and even the ability to sling some cover under it but at $100 +shipping + taxes its rather expensive particularly with the pound the way it isat the moment.

With that in mind I carried on my search and by chance found this set up – Helikon Essentials Kit bag

It looks like a cracking bit of kit and it will be arriving this week. Its pretty similar in design with some really unique features, and at £39 including shipping quite a saving

View attachment 43311

[video=youtube;Yuddxckaoh4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuddxckaoh4[/video]

I will give my thoughts on it when it arrives

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A very useful appraisal of some of what is available. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Helikon kit once you've had a chance to give it an outing.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Thanks, it's arrived this morning and looks like a cracking bit of kit, I bought a black one but think I'll pick a coyote one too if it works out

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hmmm I've just got a titanium canteen kit from Keith and the Maxpedition M4 is a tad tight for it. Looking forward to a review.

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
Hi Corso - did you ever do a review of this ? Maybe on another thread? Be interested to hear how you have got on with it over the last 9 months

Thanks
Tim B

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Just doing a bit of thread necromancy and came across this one. I did buy one and did a review and what I carry.

It's the last review here;

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE