Canoe Project 2!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Heres the pics Jojo, and other people.

This mornings work:
basicframer.jpg

Then this afetenoon ive been trying to get some ribs sorted. A few of the willow rods tend to break or just fold when bending them. Is there a way to stop this? Maybe stripping the bark off and then submerging them in water over night would do the trick?

ribfitting3.jpg

ribfitting2.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Wow! That look really good. That's going to be a really nice looking canoe.. As for the ribs, I haven't tried to soak them. I think they are quite fragile when fresh and do break or crush easily. I think it's something you have to live with and cut a few more, just in case. It's different when dry, they become really quite hard and stiff.
When you come to tie the longitudinal battens, you have to be careful not to tie them too hard because they crush easily, conversly, they will shrink a bit when drying and you want them tight enough. It's something you get to judge better with practise. I would really try to get some artificial sinew, or dental floss, it's the same stuff. It's better than thicker string, and does not poke into the canvas skin as much.

Have you had some thought on the longitudinal battens? They need to be fairly stiff to give shape and keep the bottom of the canoe from deforming with your weight in it. I haven't tried the willow rods. I think they were Alaskan Yellow Cedar battens. I don't see why you could not use willow rods, as long as you stagger them so they don't all end at the same place in the middle.

Well done so far, real nice job.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oh wow! That looks great already! Any idea on what colour you will finish the canoe in once it's done? I always thought a nice deep leafy green shade works nicely with a wooden framed canoe. Any thoughts?

Can't wait to see it finished, although I want the construction to go on and on as I love seeing this canoe come together!

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Have you had some thought on the longitudinal battens? They need to be fairly stiff to give shape and keep the bottom of the canoe from deforming with your weight in it. I haven't tried the willow rods. I think they were Alaskan Yellow Cedar battens. I don't see why you could not use willow rods, as long as you stagger them so they don't all end at the same place in the middle.

Well done so far, real nice job.

I was thinking about using Hazel for the longitudinals like i did on my last canoe. Its a case of getting long enough pieces of wood really.

What do you mean when you say to stagger them so they dont all end at the same place in the middle?

Thanks for all the comments and advice! You are a graet man Jojo!

As for the colour.... i havnt given it too much thought to be honest but i think a nice green would be nice.

Many thanks

Jon

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
2007-06-27-2030-05.jpg

I meant if you have to use short willow rods to stagger the joints as in the sketch to spread the weak points around. It's better if you can use full length battens. The idea of using the willow longitudinals was that they may be more consistant and straight and similar in size to the ribs. That may enable you to put more of them, particularly round the turn of the hull, to prevent the canvas from rubbing on the ribs. Thats would give you a smoother surface and less friction on the water, consequently a faster/easier canoe to paddle.

I have been called a few things in the past, but great wasn't one of them:rolleyes: . I like it though. Could someone tell the Queen, or the government?? I wouldn't mind a knighthood, or perhaps a peerage? I can't afford to buy one.....:D Perhaps they do a "free" edition of them???

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I have been called a few things in the past, but great wasn't one of them:rolleyes: . I like it though. Could someone tell the Queen, or the government?? I wouldn't mind a knighthood, or perhaps a peerage? I can't afford to buy one.....:D Perhaps they do a "free" edition of them???

:lmao:

Thanks for the everlasting stream of knowledge! You are a great man!

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Great work, I can imagine the huge grin across youre face when you first launch her, you'll be grinning to yourself for days.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Thanks! From what you can see, do you think the bottom is flat enough? I sure hope it is! I really dont want to have the faff of another outrigger.

If this one workes well and looks good im gonna be chuffed!

Anyone else thinking of building a canoe? I heard a few people say they might last time i made one.:beerchug:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
From the photo, it seem to be about as flat as you can get it for that width. How wide did you do make her? It may pay you to adjust some of the ribs that seem to be out of line from the rest. Small irregularities are ok, after all you are working with natural materials. Did you alternate the thick end of the twigs from side to side?

You could lay a flexible batten across several frames to make them as smooth and regular as you can, or eye the down from the ends of the canoe. If some rib play up, you can always replace it

2007-07-16-0804-04.jpg

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Yea i've alternated the thick and thin ends to get things even and when i fit the ribs i look down from the ends of the canoe and decide on their best position. Jusging by that photo i thing its flat enough.

Do u use flat or round batterns for the longitudinals or doesnt it matter?

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
That's looking great! I'll be building a canoe as well on school next year, I've already long wanted to make one, but it won't be as nice as yours! great pictures!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
The round ones would be easier to use, particularly towards the ends of the canoe. The flat ones, on the other hand would probably be stiffer, but can give you problems toward the ends because you would need to twist them quite a bit.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
All the ribs are in! Take a look! Im proud of it already! Ive made a couple of longitudinals aswell today.

allribsin1.jpg

There are a few ribs a little out of alignment but i think ive done a reasonable job. Those ribs will be pulled straight when the longitudinals go on hopefully!

allribsin2.jpg

Jon:D

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
That is coming along nicely, well done fella, your right to be proud shes a beaut.
Keep up the good work.

Simon.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
As you can see ive started making and temporarily fixing the logitudinals. Just 2 more to go. Each longitudinal is one long piece of willow carved flat. It was a challenge to find wood this long and straight but i managed it. I collect 1 piece of wood and split it down the centre to get two longituninals.

Ive temporarily tied and clamped them to the ribs until they dry so that they take their new shape.

Do you think the next longitudinals that go along the bottom will have to go right to the ends og the canoe or should i just have them fitted up to where the ribs end?

The canoe is really getting some shape now and with each new longitudinal its getting stronger and stronger!! Hope you like what you see.:)

longitudinals1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE