Canoe Project 2!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Hopefully this will clarify the text:D

2007-06-24-1437-08_edited.jpg

If you've got a bit of this missing, click the scroll wheel in the middle of the mouse, you should then be able to view the missing bit.

I meant to write two layers of 1/2" ply for the stems.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
ok, ive sawn the Gunnel ends so they join propperly. (It took ages!!:) )

gunneldai.jpg
The top sketcch shows how things look so far. When i fit the stem between the gunnels should i fill the areas laveled as 'A' with two bits of wood?

Hope you get what i mean

Thanks!

Jon

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
If your gunnels are 1" wide, that would make your stem about 1/4" :D

I would suggest you'll need stems at least as wide as the gunnels are thick. They need to have a certain amount of strengh as they are part of the structure that will keep the skin taut. If you use 2 layers of ply, you could make then a good couple of inches wide. If you use a willow branch, I would choose one which is about 1 1/4" diameter, bend it to the desired shape, it probably will take a while to dry and stay that shape,them shave them up a bit to flatten the sides so the gunnels will fit fairly well to the stems. If you make the stem longer, that means you can have higher ends to the canoe. If you put the false gunnels as well, it reinforces the end of the canoe, and add beautiful curves!

2007-06-24-2219-28.jpg

skinonframecanoe4.jpg
The pics are not good quality but you'll get the idea.

skinonframecanoe2.jpg

On this canoe, I used the same gunnels, false gunnel and laminated stems. I just like nice curves :rolleyes: :D

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
More quality diagrams and explainations! Top man!:You_Rock_ :You_Rock_

Does the canoe in that picture have willow ribs? That looks amazing! If i could make a canoe half as good i would be dam pleased with myself! Your canoes, knives and signs all amaze me!

How far are those ribs apart?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
More quality diagrams and explainations! Top man!:You_Rock_ :You_Rock_

Does the canoe in that picture have willow ribs? That looks amazing! If i could make a canoe half as good i would be dam pleased with myself! Your canoes, knives and signs all amaze me!

How far are those ribs apart?

The ribs on this canoe are steam bent oak, 3/4" wide by 1/4" thick. They are about 8" apart. For the willow ribs they need to be about 4" apart, native people used the width of their hand as the right space on theirs. Not canoes, but their skin on frame kayaks, which are closest to the one you're building in technique.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Looks good..

Tell you what though, it would be easier for you, particularly when you start the ribs to have a couple of simple trestles to place your gunnels frame onto.
Two reasons really, it's better on your knees and back (well better for mine anyway:D , but also, its much easier to see that the ribs are all lining up nicely and fairly.
Also the ground might not be all that flat and you might well put quite a twist in your canoe. With two trestles, you can line up the tops and be sure to have a straight canoe!

The older I get, the higher the trestles get...:rolleyes: :D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Or you could bang 4 posts in pairs into the ground and tie some cross bars to the pairs. As long the the cross bars are horizontal and parallel, that's fine. or your workmate and one pairs of posts. That's might not be welcomed on a nice lawn though;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Couple of high back chairs maybe? I have my canoe stored upside down on four garden chairs, two on each side facing towards the centre. Food for thought!

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
You can hire metal trestles for a few quid each from any tool hire place.
Or go along to the local builders and ask them to knock something up out of offcuts, i'm sure if you offer them tea or beer they will be obliging.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
There is a builders workshop next to my house which can be rather usefull. The guys there are friendly and give me as much sandpaper and stuff as i need. Today i saked them if i could borrow a couple of trestles and they said take what you want. So ive got 2 identical trestles now. Sorted! They have also cut carious pieces of wood for me.

Ive done loads more to the canoe thismorning so i'll post pics later.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE