Canoe Project 2!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Looking good, mate. No, the bottom ones won't need to go right to the ends, but make them go 2" or 3" past the last frames and thin and round them up smooth so they can't chafe holes in the fabric.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Well, if you want something simple, you can make a frame, two long battens that can go across the canoe, two shorter ones across, (looks a bit like a H with two bars across), then you can use some old car seat belt webbing, or go to your nearest (and dearest) B&Q to buy some webbing to your choice of colour, and weave that on the frame.

If that's clear as mud, I'll do a drawing:D

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
No thats as clear as water Jojo! i know what you mean. Im just ordering the canvas now and the company also sells black webbing. I think im going to fo for the 2" webbing. Cheers!

I take it you mean like this

1005863f.jpg

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
The webbing from that websitw was too expencive. nearly 60p a meter! Its hard to tell how many meters im going to be needing. Anyway i ordered the canvas! That started out being £18 and then after vat and delivery ended up £33!! Daylight robbery!

Will have to get the webbing from somewhere else. B&Q proberbly or some hardware shop.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Jon I'm about to make a wide middle seat for my Allagash, you should find your local car breakers will get you seat belts for next to nothing. I am struggling with how to make the H frame flush as I cant mortice/tennon.

Are you using Ash?

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Jon I'm about to make a wide middle seat for my Allagash, you should find your local car breakers will get you seat belts for next to nothing. I am struggling with how to make the H frame flush as I cant mortice/tennon.

Are you using Ash?

I'll proberbly just be using some bog standard mill sawn wood like the stuff from B&Q. I hope its going to be strong enough.

I proberbly wont be making mortice/tennon joints either. Just screws i think!:eek: ;)

Do you think thats going to be strong enough?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006

Are you using Ash?

If you dont want to use screws, how about drilling holes and putting some dowels? you can whittle some nice hardwood dowels, or drill the right size hole in A lump of metal(6 to 8mm thick will do) and bash the square wood through, you then have nice round dowels to use! you can glue them up and that would be better than screws.

Another other idea for the webbing: rawhide! I was in Pet World this morning and the had rawhide "bones" nearly 3Ft long for about £8.00:eek: that would make a lot of webbing! With some polyurethane varnish that would do nicely!

Yep, Jon, exactly like that!

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
thanks jojo! i'll see if i can get some dowels sorted!

I think i may have got 20m of black 2" cotton webbing free! Somehow i confused the website when i wought the canvas and it didnt charge me for the webbing! not bad ey!:)

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I like the dowel idea and I guess once the webbing is stapled on its the webbing that will take the weight not the joints.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
If you use hardwood both for the frame and the dowels you shouldn't have any problems. I would use 20mm thick minimum X 50mm wide for the seat frame and 12mm dowels, with glue it should be fine. You could also use 1/2 lap joints, which would be probably easier, and stronger, to do if you have a handsaw and a chisel.

If you want I'll put a drawing tonight when I come back from work tonight.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
If you use hardwood both for the frame and the dowels you shouldn't have any problems. I would use 20mm thick minimum X 50mm wide for the seat frame and 12mm dowels, with glue it should be fine. You could also use 1/2 lap joints, which would be probably easier, and stronger, to do if you have a handsaw and a chisel.

If you want I'll put a drawing tonight when I come back from work tonight.

Please do jojo, S*orry Jon I'm not hijacking - honest.;)

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Ive got all the materials for making the seat. Just need to get the beech wood sawn to the right dimentions. Going to get my builder friends to do that for me soon.

Im going to use some red 1" webbing on the seat from a ratchet set. Im thinking of painting the the canoe red so a red seat too would look nice. Wilol post pics when its done!

Im interested to see this diagram too Jojo, thanks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE