Canoe Paddle

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just been thinking about the paddle Lindsey.

You better go get yourself an account on Song of the paddle. I think that there might 1 or 200 people there who might appreciate your work and want a paddle decorated by you
:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats lovely....really nice

Don't forget how many other people like traditional tools Linds

I bet there would be a big market for trowels and forks with customised handles.

Red

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Umm, could you buy paddles and strip them? If they're just oiled you should still be able to burn then then re-oil

Must admit things thats ive done which have been oiled leave a funny white line first then you have to re bun the line which makes keeping it even much harder. Firecrest is better than me so may find it easier. I'm still making that paddle for you?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Must admit things thats ive done which have been oiled leave a funny white line first then you have to re bun the line which makes keeping it even much harder. Firecrest is better than me so may find it easier. I'm still making that paddle for you?

yes still make the paddle. cheers.

This paticular paddle was varnished which I stripped. I didnt know you could just get ones that were oiled.
The problem with the stripping , apart from it taking a while , I found it left residue here and there which I was unable to remove. When these bits where burned it smoke it gave off made me feel very ill even though it was just very thin wisps.:( Probably not good to inhale on a regular basis. I could wear a mask but I do it indoors anyway, plus I like to blow on the tip to regular the heat, its quicker than turning the heat dial.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I think you'll find that the oil will still be in the wood, because they are thinner than varnish, they tend to penetrate the wood fibres deeper than varnish does. And I wouldn't trust the chemicals in the oils are any better than the ones in the varnishes :yuck:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Fantastic work.
Is it done by burning into the wood? If so, then that's even more credit to your ability - it must be hard to control the depth and time of burn.
Truly remarkable work.
I always find the whole 'wolf' motif thing a bit hackneyed and trite, but that's just a personal taste thing. The quality of the work is outstanding.

Yes its burned into the wood. I admit wolves are abit over done. what would you like to see burned on a canoe paddle?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I think Id be £36 down with an electricity bill to pay if I burned that onto a paddle!!!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yes its burned into the wood. I admit wolves are abit over done. what would you like to see burned on a canoe paddle?

Really fantasic work Lindsey,

What would I like to see? Well I do like celtic knotwork - though doing a lot may make you dizzy. What about some indian ( Canadian ) art work... would kind've go with the whole canadian canoe thing? You could even put some musical notes on one - then it could be the "song of the paddle" :D

Would like to see more of your stuff, liked what I saw on your site.

TTFN
Colin.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
cheers goatboy. I think if i did a canadian paddle, id be best getting a paddle in the shaped in a traditional design. Making my own is something im going to look into doing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE