Canned Bread?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Anyone know of an outlet in the UK?
just saw it on an american video,
[video]https://youtu.be/RwHIoMgfBVg[/video]
just after the 6 minute mark.
It looked quite moist and fluffy even after a grilling so has me intrigued.

Rob.
P.S. the BBQ Pit boys have some very tasty recipes if you're not vegan:lmao:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Canned bread? I've been required to live in situations where "canned everything" was the only way in and out.
Fast forward 50+ years.
I'm cocky enough now to think that, given my choice of ingredients, I can make beautiful bread under almost any circumstances.
Bag the stuff up and let me carry it in. I'm looking forward to some bread-on-a-stick this autumn.
The reason is simply that bread has been made in a bowl, with a stick, for some 5,000 years or more.
I want to go out, just for the Hello of it, and do my bread over my open fire.
My confidence stems solely from making my weekly bread for decades. I believe that I can guess the wrongs and rights
to baking over an open fire of coals.
Damn! Makes me hungry, right after supper.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Anyone know of an outlet in the UK?
just saw it on an american video,
[video]https://youtu.be/RwHIoMgfBVg[/video]
just after the 6 minute mark.
It looked quite moist and fluffy even after a grilling so has me intrigued.

Rob.
P.S. the BBQ Pit boys have some very tasty recipes if you're not vegan:lmao:

There's a place in Germany does it and charges 10 euros shipping for any amount of stuff.

http://shop.conserva.de/en/10-long-term-food

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The German site is the one to go for. A few of us had bits and bobs from them a few years ago, the bread and canned butter were good.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Somehow I was thinking it was going to be German since they were using German franks. I've never seen it here but I haven't really looked for it. I may have to look in the international aisle next time I go to the grocery store.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I once got bought an canned entire chicken as a joke present. Not even going to lie it's one of the single most deeply unpleasant meals I've ever eaten, and I've eaten some pretty out there meals!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Found a picture of the same brand online. And it demonstrates perfectly just how unappetizing it was. Even if it was a survival situation I would use them to lure in rodents and eat them instead!
56cfc6521761ccb5bf0d0b86b7b54eb9.jpg

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Mmmmm chicken jelly, it was bad enough as a kid when that gunk was on the edges of my tinned chop pork and i was too young and poor to even know pork came in any other fashion

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Mmmmm chicken jelly, it was bad enough as a kid when that gunk was on the edges of my tinned chop pork and i was too young and poor to even know pork came in any other fashion
Now hey you can't be going after tinned chopped pork there! One of my favourite meals to this day. Oh a poor upbringing in the bleak old north eh Rob lol

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah man until i was 10 i thought the only beef that existed was corned (i didn't know the meat in mince and dumplings was from the same animal, in our house you didn't question what was on your plate you just ate it and were thankful) and i thought canned bacon grill was real bacon, funnily enough i don't eat anything from a tin these days except tuna

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Yeah man until i was 10 i thought the only beef that existed was corned (i didn't know the meat in mince and dumplings was from the same animal, in our house you didn't question what was on your plate you just ate it and were thankful) and i thought canned bacon grill was real bacon, funnily enough i don't eat anything from a tin these days except tuna

Ah the days of a pan of panaculty because the bacon was in the turn and Pease pudding stotties for dinner lol. Now I challenge anyone south of scotch corner service station to decipher those 2 meals. Northern riddles as my missus calles them

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
ahhh now there's a food memory and a half pease pudding and savaloys in a half stottie cake

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
ahhh now there's a food memory and a half pease pudding and savaloys in a half stottie cake

Ah here now we're talking mind. Get some sage and onion stuffing on the bottom slice and dip the top in gravy. That's me round the butcher's for some saveloys first thing tomorrow!

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Ohh pease pudding chuck on some faggots yummy.

When I was in the US I saw those canned chickens and having 'liking' for weird foods I asked my wife if it was any good. She looked at me and with all honesty said "even YOU wouldn't eat that" so I left it on the shelf.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I think i'd be with Mick on that one, if i was stuck with that as my only food in the wild i'd use it as bait in the hope of catching some rats and maggots

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thon canned chicken…..I dare you. Buy one and try it. It was standard cupboard 'just in case' fayre when I was little. Just like tinned ham or corned beef.
What you do with it is this…you take it out of the can, don't waste the jelly, it makes brilliant gravy and very good soup stock. Wipe the bird with a kitchen towel and then put it into a medium oven to heat through. There's so much moisture in it that it doesn't dry out easily, but the breast and legs will roast up crisp. Lift it out and carve it just like any other deid hen.
"Fresh" cooked chicken, and soup, from a can :) in a hurry, when folks drop in unexpectedly.

The can's a useful size for soaking paint brushes in turps too :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE