Can anyone ID this skeleton?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Hypnagog,

looking at the skull and especially the horn buds I'd say it was a sheep. Could be wrong not got a big screen here.

GB.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
When deer shed their antlers, there's just a pedicel left on the skull. Goats don't shed their horns, but after they die the horns slip off and inside them there's a long bone that remains attached to the skull. I don't know about sheep, but would guess that they're similar to goats. The skull in your pictures looks like it has antler pedicels, but there's something on top of them that I can't make out. Maybe someone hacked off the antlers, or something chewed them off? Around here, mice and porcupines like to eat shed antlers, when you find them in the woods they're almost always chewed up. My best guess is that that's a buck deer that died in the fall, before it shed its antlers, and that something/someone subsequently ate/cut them.

leon-1

Looking at the size of the skull in comparison to the can, the shape and size of the mandible and the position of the antler and what look like young crowns forming I am thinking possibly a young roe deer.

If that was a Muntjac I would be looking to see any signs of it having fangs.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Yeah, that skull ridge isn't right for muntjac.
Roe deer is more like it, but it doesn't look like a very large animal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE