Can anyone ID this car boot sale army ruck sack please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Got a nice old pack at car boot sale today for a couple of quid. Its made of heavy waxed(?) canvas, two rear pockets, no side pockets and a strange sort of banana side profile to it where the lower section sticks out away from wearer. Here's some pics:

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I have a hunch it's an old Canadian Army pack but I may be wrong.
If I'm right it'll be from around the 1960's and a rare find.

I might be wrong though.:)

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
More likely Canadian, But British stuff was tested before the 1990 pattern webbing in the early 80's so could be part of that. Any markings on or inside it?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I,m guessing French .....

I've seen French rucksacks, at least the 20 litres ones and though it looks similar, it isn't. Here's one of the most common rucksack I see at bootfairs.

604_002.jpg

Sweet looking rucksack as John and others have said. nice find mate!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
What made me think it was a British tester as well it looks like its made of butyl material and the opening tabs look like the 58 pattern webbing style with modern berghaus munro looking back and straps.

Ive seen other stuff mixed with older issue pattern kit and modern civi style been tested after 1982 and up to 1990, but any markings inside may give a better clue to its country of origin.

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
Got a nice old pack at car boot sale today for a couple of quid. Its made of heavy waxed(?) canvas, two rear pockets, no side pockets and a strange sort of banana side profile to it where the lower section sticks out away from wearer. Here's some pics:

it's a canadian P-64 field pack ...it came out around 1964 with that patteren webbing equipment...that said most canadian Infantry soldiers did'nt like the carrying equipment at all, and really disliked the frameless ruck/field pack...vince g. 11B INF...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Looks very similar to this pack ~ here. Different clips, so I'd guess the link is to a modern version of the pack in the OP :dunno:

Tooo sloooww :eek:

Last edited:

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
Looks very similar to this pack ~ here. Different clips, so I'd guess the link is to a modern version of the pack in the OP :dunno:

Tooo sloooww :eek:
hi decorum that picture from the surplus store is a china copy of the canadian cargo/field pack...the real canadian model was made out of plastic coated nylon fabric...vince g. 11B INF...

Biker

Thats defo not a GS bergen biker posted, defo French,, the GS Bergen doesnt have plastic fittings or canvas straps.

I agree, I doubt it's a Bergen. Mine doesn't have any labels on it, it's a small 20 litre rucksack with side pockets or a rubberised material, webbing straps and plastic fittings as Andybysea says. It's also frameless. I rather like mine but I wouldn't want to wear it too loaded up.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Thanks for everyone's input on this - most likely a Canadian P-64 pack then. There are no markings inside it. Tough as old boots, thats for certain. I'll take it for a yomp and see how it feels loaded up.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Biker and Andy,

You're right.

That'll teach me to pause and have a good look. Proof I can't muilti task.

Cheers

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE