Camping out with just a sleeping bag.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
You name and sig are killing me. Not black and white, but blue and white :lmao: Excellent.

it's a shame that the mods here don't see the funny side of it. They PM'd me accusing me of misrepresentation, which the more I think about it, is less annoying than it is hilarious!

It was posted here, but I've removed it. Although I'm sure it won't help matters as they seem convinced that I'm some kind of identity thief! lol!

I just hope that I can stay here as it's a fantastic place.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
Oops, you didn't want to do that did you Prof

they're obviousuly going to ban me anyway :(I

meant no offense and would love to stay.

I can agree that my bad language was uncalled for given the rules (which I should have read but registered in a hurry as I wanted to go camping!) I will never post bad language again.

Here's my reply below. I'm sure all this will be gone soon and I'll be gone as well but I sincerely hope that that is not the case. If it is, thank you to the wonderful people on here who were able to see that I was not in fact trying to pretend to be the real professor gordon! lol!

Hi,

The name for my account on this forum is just that- an account name. It does not necessarily correspond with my true name, and I'm sure many others do not either. I did not realise that this was a requirement.

I understand that perhaps you are worried that I wish to make a mockery of a respectable figure in the bushcraft community but that is simply not the case. My account name, avatar and signature are all in good humour and I would like to think that the man himself would approve of such kind-natured ribbing.

I also understand that my use of bad language has not helped matters but I have apologised for this in another PM and explained myself. I can also assure you that this will not happen again.

However, I think that it is somewhat close-minded and frankly boring of you to take offense to such an obviously harmless account name.

Have my postings on here honestly appeared to be an attempt to convince others that I am in the fact THE Professor Gordon Hillman?

If so, they have been very thinly-veiled and ill-thought out attempts. And with no obvious motive either.

Instead I simply wanted to take on an account name which I considered to be light-hearted, harmless, and perhaps even mildly-amusing to some of the other members on here, given the relevent subject matter. I have then gone about posting as myself, and enjoying the wealth of information on here, and also contributing in any way that I can.

Despite our bad start, I wish to continue being a member here as it is clearly a fantastic forum, and I hope we can move past this and get on with talking about nature, bushcraft and all the other fascinating things that are discussed here.

Sincerely,

Rich (aka Gordon)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
I post on so many forums and have never encountered such harsh rules. What's more, I have really enjoyed this place so much and despite not being a member long, many members here (some of whom seem to be big contributors) have also warmed to me, appearing not be offended by my account name and even helping me by providing me with information.

Why the mods then? Maybe I should contact the real professor gordon and ask him if my name is ok, as he is the only person who could conceivably be offended by such an obviously light-hearted online persona, and he's a very jovial man who would probably not be bothered by something so trivial and good-natured.

It's not fair! :(

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I can't really see what the beef can be about your name Prof, seems a bit odd given some of the names on here already.

It is bad form copying a private message onto the forum though, maybe just delete that bit and see how things pan out.

It's been a giggle reading your threads so it'll be a shame to lose you.

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
I can't really see what the beef can be about your name Prof, seems a bit odd given some of the names on here already.

It is bad form copying a private message onto the forum though, maybe just delete that bit and see how things pan out.

It's been a giggle reading your threads so it'll be a shame to lose you.

I can undertand what you're saying.

But why should these things go on behind closed doors? It's everyone's forum. It's all above board, so why not? no confidential information was revealed (I would never do such a thing).

Also I was afraid that I would be banned before being able to see what others thought of this, and whether my name offended them.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I can understand the mods concern. If you had used the Username Professor Hillman, then it would have been dodgy, as you have used Proffessor Gordon with an homage to the man himself and his fantastic quirkiness, you are IMO clearly not leading anyone to believe you are him. You must remember though, that as this is a family forum, the rules have to be more formal than on most forums.

A private message is a private message though (clue in the name), you should remove that, we get the gist of what it means now.

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
I've removed the PM as I admit, I have been rattling off posts without much thought because sad as it sounds, this has angered me quite a lot that something so trivial and obviously in jest could be taken so seriously.

However, I'm now beginning to see the the funnier side and if I do go for this, can I again thank those who have encouraged me to get out there on my own and enjoy the woods! And also those who gave me advise on things such as hammocks.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've removed the PM as I admit, I have been rattling off posts without much thought because sad as it sounds, this has angered me quite a lot that something so trivial and obviously in jest could be taken so seriously.

However, I'm now beginning to see the the funnier side and if I do go for this, can I again thank those who have encouraged me to get out there on my own and enjoy the woods! And also those who gave me advise on things such as hammocks.

The rules can be tough sometimes, but we also have great mods on this forum too, I'm sure some agreement can be reached. Why don't you chamge your name to Proff Gordon, or Proffessor Gordy?

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
I can understand the mods concern. If you had used the Username Professor Hillman, then it would have been dodgy, as you have used Proffessor Gordon with an homage to the man himself and his fantastic quirkiness, you are IMO clearly not leading anyone to believe you are him. You must remember though, that as this is a family forum, the rules have to be more formal than on most forums.

A private message is a private message though (clue in the name), you should remove that, we get the gist of what it means now.

Thanks mate. You're absolutely right and I know I've been a bit of an idiot!

I was just so angry and frustrated when I saw the PM. I actually couldn't believe it.

I will gladly follow any rules on here and apologise if my bad language offended anyone. I really should have read the rules and I admit that.

but I maintain that my account name is perfectly fine!

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
The rules can be tough sometimes, but we also have great mods on this forum too, I'm sure some agreement can be reached. Why don't you chamge your name to Proff Gordon, or Proffessor Gordy?

I know, everyone here seems great.

To have such a fantastic forum, the mod team must be doing their jobs well.

That is why I was so surprised by the accusations of misrepresentation. It just seems so close-minded and boring!

I would happily make such a compromise if it would make those offended happier.

After all, all that I really wanted to do was use these forums, and learn about bushcraft.

The name was something that I hastily thought of when it came to registering, not some master plan to tarnish the reputation of a truly great and knowledgable man!

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
I post on so many forums and have never encountered such harsh rules. What's more, I have really enjoyed this place so much and despite not being a member long, many members here (some of whom seem to be big contributors) have also warmed to me, appearing not be offended by my account name and even helping me by providing me with information.

Why the mods then? Maybe I should contact the real professor gordon and ask him if my name is ok, as he is the only person who could conceivably be offended by such an obviously light-hearted online persona, and he's a very jovial man who would probably not be bothered by something so trivial and good-natured.

It's not fair! :(

well speaking from my experience as a moderator on another website all I can say is that I think the mods are just trying to cover themselves (and the site) should the real professor gordon take offence at you posting using his name (in fact on the site that I help moderate we reciently had someone who was plagerising someone elses work and passing it off as his own, and I spent a lot of last night researching copyright laws in order to highlight the problem to other members)
but as I see it you're not claiming to be him or trying to discredit him in anyway but the use of both his name and likeness could cause some problems or confusion, the way I see it there are two ways to solve the matter, (1) changing your user name so that it no longer implies that you may be impersonating the guy, or (2) change your avitar as your name is generic enough that without the image it can't directly be linked to him or you trying to impersonate him.
but obviously the site has it's own rules and it's up to the mods and admin here to deem what is the approprate measures to take.
a third possible way to solve the problem is to simply put up a disclamer in your post signiture stating that you are not the person in question

but these are my views on the situation, I don't know what guidelines are used to moderate this site so it all comes down to what the mods deem approprate in dealing with this.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
well speaking from my experience as a moderator on another website all I can say is that I think the mods are just trying to cover themselves (and the site) should the real professor gordon take offence at you posting using his name (in fact on the site that I help moderate we reciently had someone who was plagerising someone elses work and passing it off as his own, and I spent a lot of last night researching copyright laws in order to highlight the problem to other members).

Excellent points.

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
well speaking from my experience as a moderator on another website all I can say is that I think the mods are just trying to cover themselves (and the site) should the real professor gordon take offence at you posting using his name (in fact on the site that I help moderate we reciently had someone who was plagerising someone elses work and passing it off as his own, and I spent a lot of last night researching copyright laws in order to highlight the problem to other members)
but as I see it you're not claiming to be him or trying to discredit him in anyway but the use of both his name and likeness could cause some problems or confusion, the way I see it there are two ways to solve the matter, (1) changing your user name so that it no longer implies that you may be impersonating the guy, or (2) change your avitar as your name is generic enough that without the image it can't directly be linked to him or you trying to impersonate him.
but obviously the site has it's own rules and it's up to the mods and admin here to deem what is the approprate measures to take.
a third possible way to solve the problem is to simply put up a disclamer in your post signiture stating that you are not the person in question

but these are my views on the situation, I don't know what guidelines are used to moderate this site so it all comes down to what the mods deem approprate in dealing with this.

I guess that's understandable, I must admit that I hadn't thought of it that way, as I go on so many forums where members will use their profile name as a homage to a well known public figure. I suppose it's a consideration that they have to make, although it does suggest that someone has a little too much time on their hands and is a bit paranoid of getting sued or something.

To be honest, I think that it's more offensive to insinuate that the real Gordon would be daft enough to think that I was trying to pass myself off as him. I know I'm stupid and pretty thoughtless, but if that was my intention, I think I'd have gone about it slightly differently... haha!

However, when you're responsible for such a good forum, chances cannot be taken I suppose. I have added a disclaimer to my signature.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
buy a bivi bag, and sleep on a huge pile of pine straw or leaves. leaves sleep better than inflatablesand dont get cold and deflate at night, and when raining they shed water that a inflatable will not, but run water down your butt and lower back. but a bivi bag is what you really need if you going to make tis a habit. a No See Um netting over your head is a must as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE