camping in coniferous or deciduous

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i don't mind either way. in broadleaf woodland firewood is easier because it burns longer than softwoods so you don't need to collect as much. pine and other needles make nice tea :) but some conifer forrests can get very dark and posably creepy? lol
they both offer different resorces and make a nice change.

pete

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
i don't mind either way. in broadleaf woodland firewood is easier because it burns longer than softwoods so you don't need to collect as much. pine and other needles make nice tea :) but some conifer forrests can get very dark and posably creepy? lol
they both offer different resorces and make a nice change.
pete

Thats about it, when i have bivi'ed i have found a coniferous woodland floor is generally softer (imho) and easer to stealth camp in the more denser ones.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
It depends on the type of wood as a beech plantation is pretty sparse and you can get some nice open conifer plantations. My favourite is a mixed wood with conifers to get the fire burning fast, then some deciduous logs to keep it going.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Coniferous of course, just look at the pics ;)

CIMG0245.jpg

CIMG0240.jpg

CIMG0248.jpg

CIMG0222.jpg

CIMG0225.jpg

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I am happy with either type of woodland, I find it easier to find dry tinder and fuel in a pine-birch woodland, but foraging for edible plants is better in deciduous woods

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I like to camp in the pine plantations as they tend to feel warmer and quite dry even when it's honking it down.

The downside is that there's not much wildlife in there, I see the usual deer sign but not much else. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

A dream camp for me would be a small island on a flat calm loch with just three or four pine trees to hang a hammock and tarp.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
We are in a transition zone between the 2 and I like that because you get the nice mix of both worlds...the fresh smell of the pines and spruces,
plus plentiful birchbark for firelighting. In Algonquin Park there are pockets of different fauna types, including an old growth pine forest that just
towers overhead. Not many campers in the park tonight, I wouldn't imagine....-34 C and a fresh breeze blowing...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE