How many pockets have you?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Just that:
We talk about EDC stuff.

How many pockets do you normally have available whether for trekking, camping or day to day?
Trousers/skirt, waistcoat/warmer or jacket?

Add in belt pouches if you want to.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Usually three on trousers (Phone, a few tissues, pocket knife, dog poo bags) and then in winter I have a bonus two in my jacket, which usually just holds anything that needs to stay dry (phone and tissues). I sometimes also have a foraging pouch rolled up on my belt if it’s looking like good mushroom territory.

Depending where I am and what I am doing I may also have a CAT and field dressing, but otherwise they’ll be in my FAK in the front and red-zipped pocket of my daysack for easy access.

I really like to keep it as minimal as possible really, I don’t like lots of stuff in my pockets or dangling off of me. Easy to lose bits, or they get in the way and annoy me.

• Wow
Reactions: Pattree

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a handbag :) Kind of sorts the whole issue.

Out foraging I just change that out for my foraging bag.

Major difference is the first aid kit, and the tools. Otherwise it's pretty much the same stuff in both.

My keyring holds a lot of stuff though, from sliver nippers to a peanut lighter, and if I'm out the door the keyring's with me.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Like Toddy, my keyring has everything on it for edc, which clips on my belt. I don't often use a handbag, usualy my pockets have my purse/wallet and my baccy tin. sometimes my phone in my inside jacket pocket. That's it. I only need 3 pockets. Handbags for me, are for weddings and funerals.
I have a small haversack with me if I'm out for a walk or forage, containing a brew kit, snack, a mushroom knife, or pocket knife, some cotton bags, and not much else.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Day to day, three. One zipped and two hip pockets. Hip pockets I have a SAK on a lanyard in one; ferro rod & cravat bandage in the other; phone and wallet in the zipped one. Compact head torch if needed. Watch and clipper compass. Hat.

Day hike I have a canteen in a belt pouch, this also has cup/lid/stove/fuel tabs/wind shield/spoon/lighter/tinder/matches/packet soup/coffee/screech powder/millbank filter. Pertex shirt in it's own pouch. Map card or splash map scarf. Binos on cord.

Hot or going distance an extra canteen.

Poorer weather or specifically doing some bushcrafty activity wear a wool shirt with two chest pockets with some snacks & booboo in and perhaps a proper compass. I bump up the belt kit with a waist pack with water proofs, gloves & warm hat, spare socks, thermal top, a packet meal, fold-a-bowl, sit mat, silnylon tarp and rigging, mylar survival bag, cord, tape, bin liner. Might have a mora companion and/or folding saw. I do carry a bit more first aid TQ & Izzy dressing if I am messing about with axes etc.

Otherwise I have a 30L pack of kit in the vehicle for overnighting, and quite often a base camp set up of stoves and supplies if working. Or I am camping and have a bergen for the trip.

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Reason for asking: I use a lot of pockets and notice that other people don’t.

I don’t edc knife or fire but can accommodate them.

My everyday and everything trousers have nine pockets and I use them all, if some of them intermittently.
This morning, as I often do, I also put on a multi-pocketed waistcoat and discovered two inside pockets that I’d not noticed over the last year.
So it is that I often leave the house on an ordinary non active day with twenty pockets but if I use the waistcoat I’ll forget I’ve done so and whatever it is will get washed.
I once washed my phone - (cotton 60 fast spin no conditioner)

Working clockwise from right front:
1. Zipped- Tickets/rapid access paperwork/other peoples cards as I receive them before filing or binning.
2. Open bucket - car keys on chain.
3. Zipped in seam - Kindle. historically passport and tickets.
4. Leg velcro- phone.
5. Right buttock zipped - wallet on other end of car key chain. House keys free running on chain
6. Left buttock zipped - comb, a leather pocket protector with paper handkerchiefs, bog paper and a mask. Occasionally when camping Opinel & ferro and cotton wool (Not edc)
7. Left seam zipped - specs, shopping/wombling bag occasionally pressed into service as a body bag if I find an interesting corps (suitably road killed fox) This use is often debated with my fellow passenger and denied if we are in her car.
8. Open bucket - handkerchiefs.
9. Zipped - coins

I have no idea how you guys manage with three!!!! Most of the above is ADEDC from daily emergence to oblivion.

The main use of waistcoat or jacket pockets is for my hands. Jackets also carry a woolen hat and gloves.

pee ess - most of this lot is suspended from a belt. I don’t enjoy braces (US suspenders).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmundo

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Trouser Pockets - left = phone, right = minimalist wallet.

Patagonia Atom 8ltr sling - med, head lamp, small folding knife, snack bars, cash, wind jacket, thin gloves, pens, small note book, Bluetooth ear pods, karabiner, car keys, small charging pack and wires.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I hate stuff in trouser pockets; I prefer to use a shoulder bag with the stuff swapped out depending on what I'm doing.

Around town, the only things I carry are my phone, a cash card and a credit card, and my Farmer X Alox, and that's on a belt hanger in my pocket so as not to be sitting at the bottom of the pocket.

So, to answer the question, usually loads more than I use :)

Reactions: DocG and Van-Wild

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
I have no idea how you guys manage with three!!!!
My dear chap, you want to try being the female of the species - apparently pockets are considered too advanced for the feminine brain to cope with and frequently I find myself without a single one. As such, although I currently have nine of them at my disposal, my SAK, torch, and whistle all reside on a cord about my neck as I habitually have a neck available for the purpose. "Just popping out" and having to carry keys can be a real problem thou, and I've had to resort to tucking them into my waistband on occasion if a bag or jacket is not called for. I swear that, if a gentleman wishes to strike up conversation with a lady, the best opening is undoubtedly to bring up the subject of a dearth of pockets. But be prepared for a lengthy response in return.

• Love
Reactions: GreyCat and Pattree

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Trousers usually 5.11, phone wallet & key wallet in left front pocket, coins in right pocket. Slim pocket on right leg has a SAK Farmer and a Classic SD, Bic lighter and an AA flashlight. Left back pocket usually has a buff.

Cargo pockets usually collect receipts and the like if out shopping, or in the past if was working with an axe all day in the field would have a sharpening puck.

Day pack top lid has a xsre carabiner clipped in it with a ferro rod, scraper, couple of fire plugs, and a whistle on it. A headlamp lives in there too.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Cargo Trousers with 12 pockets. Costco purchase. I am in the process of designing my own after these.
Nothing in back pockets. on the left, there is a 2 layer cargo pocket with a torch, edc tin and handy hank. In the zipped pocket behind this is my Field notes leather notebook carrier and notebooks. In the hand pocket is my keys and change.
On the cargo pocket on the other side it has 3 pockets and a pocket behind so 2 pen pockets hold pens and the phone pocket holds phone. The pocket behind has a USB-c cable.
The hand pocket has 2 folding shopping bags, a round power bank, a lighter, and a rough rider mini-canoe knife. In the zipped pocket behind it is my wallet.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Won’t wear or buy a coat unless it has a minimum of 4 but prefer 5/6. Like to carry all my kit in a coat and very little in trousers. Preferring thin lightweight trousers.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@grainweevil
About twenty years ago and for reasons that I cannot properly recall I designed myself a manskirt. It was going to be made from the stone coloured version of my usual everyday trousers and would require two pairs to construct something full enough to be practical. - think Victorian Tropical kit. There was to be nothing particularly feminine about it and it would be equipped with one of the original front zips. Above all it would have retained all nine pockets of the trouser.

It never came about. I got as far as buying the two pairs of trousers but - well I still have them and wear them but still bifurcated. Pity really, it would have been an experience, if only to look back and laugh at.

To complete the picture - I am 6’2” and heavily bearded.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grainweevil

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Time to buy a waistcoat then!
No no no but a pocketted vest works upto a point, the problem with that is that it is just too much on a warm summer day. No one seems to make a mesh vest with pockets, I know that Finnish army made a few prototypes but later gave that up.

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
:laugh: Is your middle name Hagrid?
6’2” used to be tall when I was a young man. I am frequently overtopped these days.

Further to @grainweevil - when I see how phones are carried in waistbands I am surprised that there isn’t a stronger lobby for pockets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmundo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE