How many pockets have you?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Nothing in pockets, I use a front pouch for EDC. It makes things more simple and less prone to forget someting. No matter what I´m wearing, put the bag on and everything is onboard.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
No no no but a pocketted vest works upto a point, the problem with that is that it is just too much on a warm summer day. No one seems to make a mesh vest with pockets, I know that Finnish army made a few prototypes but later gave that up.
You could dew pockets one of these….

1D3C898C-36CC-4410-9FF4-AC63CAABB6E6.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: TLM

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
No no no but a pocketted vest works upto a point, the problem with that is that it is just too much on a warm summer day. No one seems to make a mesh vest with pockets, I know that Finnish army made a few prototypes but later gave that up.

Like a USAF Survival Vest?

• Love

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As you probably guessed I have a few vests, mostly using a Fjällräven one nowadays.

Like a USAF Survival Vest?
YES! I'll have to start looking into that one. It might look a bit tacticool on the street but that would not be a problem elsewhere.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
OK slightly OT but not much as pockets are mentioned. Apparently I was somewhat out of date on various vests, fly fishers do have many that look ok until one starts to look at the pockets. Not all that surprisingly they are tailored for fly fishing, no go there.

I'll keep looking.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
It would not surprise me to see one worn clubbing! Certainly at a festival. :D

I used to have a kit carry smock. People called me “Dave”, they were glad of the canteens when the 101 FC radiator split though. Again. :rolleyes:

Didn’t the old survival vests come with some loose pouches to sewn on your self?

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
As you probably guessed I have a few vests, mostly using a Fjällräven one nowadays.

YES! I'll have to start looking into that one. It might look a bit tacticool on the street but that would not be a problem elsewhere.

There is the OV-1 Survival Vest too, from the 90s Desert Storm era.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I usually wear trousers with 4 pockets. Good pockets are important! As pointed out above, this is something that the fashion industry seem to have forgotten at some point during the 20th century (before then women had properly sized pockets!).

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I think it was the 1920's that saw the end of the pockets for women.
Check out the molle vests like the Dutch vest as that seems the answer.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Chest pockets aren’t particularly compatible with the female anatomy, in my experience anyway. Also, no way I’m wearing something like that in work. I think HR would want to have words. :)
LOL true!
Cargo trousers are in fashion at the moment however finding a brand that fits you is a nightmare. I would love to meet the person they are modelled from as my knees are in a much different position to theirs.
On a different thread, Broch was recommending Percussion beaters/hunting trousers and just by looking I know the cargo pockets will not sit in the right place for me. Shame as they look really nice.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It depends, if I have just got jeans on then it's 5 pockets of which I use 4 of.

In cooler weather then my coat/s have between 2 to 5 pockets in them and I usually use 2 or 3 for keys and mobile phones

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I keep a lens cleaning cloth in my jeans coin pocket. Perfect for that.

My work pants are simple chinos but two front and two rear pockets are enough considering I carry my work rucksack around with my laptop and other work items. There's an additional pocket in my front right pocket against the leg side but I can't feel it there. It really holds a few pound coins and my house keys in a more secure way than loose in the pocket. Neat touch I reckon.

I find it's better to carry a small crossbody or shoulder bag than fill your pockets up. I've got a pacsafe one that's got two cables along the shoulder strap and a wire anti slash mesh on the front of the bag's body. Add in these security catches that might be annoying to keep opening up but at least no pickpocket would be able to get into the bag without me noticing. The strap wires stop the cutting through the strap type of theft. Imho more useful than a trouser full of pockets.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Trousers/work pants wise I wear modernised BDU style ones from a few companies or hunting brand ones when it’s colder.
Pentagon/Helikon/Truspec/Solognac. I’ve had 5.11’s but never found them that robust as they always fail in the same place for me.
The military style ones I get in a solid colour and a version that has smaller pockets inside the main cargo pocket as I don’t like loose stuff rolling around in them. Also in the winter I have space to stuff hats and gloves (plus shoe flask gin) in.

25D9C516-0CB4-46D0-8ABB-6AE05667D3C7.jpeg

What I usually have on me apart from keys/wallet/phone.

The knife and taped up bag of tinder & lighter plus a cravat bandage are what lives in the pockets. I can usually stuff a windshirt in cargo pocket with some pilot gloves.

Four pocket canteen cover carries a lot. I’m tempted to give the Helikon essential kitbag as a bit more versitile. But I had the canteen longer than my offspring so I don’t want to change it! Grenade pouch will hold a light waterproof but usually has small tarp, cordage, pegs, notepad and pen. I don’t often carry a big knife unless I have a project in mind, then I will have a 5-7L waist bag of stuff.

The contents of the two pouches will fit in a smock quite easily. I stopped using mine when I was more often in town working than the countryside. Also I found it more convenient to take off a waist pouch to go through stuff than remove my smock to get in the poachers pocket.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cargo trousers always so six pockets plus two on my Woolrich or 5.11 shirt.

Left thigh pocket is split hide work gloves
Right thigh pocket is phone when in T shirt. Right front pocket keys. Left front pocket knife, lighter, ear buds. Hip pocket wallet. Shirt left pocket for Carbon marking pencil.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Time to buy a waistcoat then!

View attachment 83299

If I have too many pocketeseses I can’t find anything! :rolleyes:
Every time you go to find something
giphy.gif

Reactions: Ozmundo

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
A minimum for 3 pockets I use but normally more.

I tend to wear some form of cargo trousers and so I use 2 slash pockets and thigh pockets. I do not like having anything in my rear pockets and the most you will ever find in them is some form of handkerchief or bandana but nothing more.

Phone, keys which have stuff on them like mini SAK, cash vault, bottle openers, lumi tag etc. some other form of legal pocket knife/ multi tool normally an SAK of Leatherman sideclip, notebook and mini pen and a small lighter and my wallet (ridge which carries card and a tinder card from wazzoo as well as the normal bank and store cards) cash either in the wallet or under the clip. sometime a mini prybar. I have to carry quite a few medications and so i have them either in a small container which carry 3 days worth of meds and then my inhaler separately.

Sometime I have several different size man bags which have all the above less phone so pockets have less. the bags are from the 6x8x4" bags up to Helikon-tex bushcraft bag for normal walking around. My Helikon-tex satchel I use for walks in the woods and have bushcraft kit in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE