Camping for longer than a weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
For a weekend I normally only carry one cook pot, but for a longer period I would add a frying pan and kettle . That would be the only real difference except for the extra food

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I'm going to be bivvying out for two nights myself, starting tonight.

I can drive to where I'm going to be, so top of my list is a hot water bottle. If my feet are warm in bed then I am a happy man; if not then I am deeply unhappy.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Now it’s September and getting dark early perhaps some canals and a bottle o whisky.
The only luxuries I carry are a small 2 cell radio with a silva solar charger on the top of my pack and a toothbrush.
With a small axe and a week you should have plenty time to make some real home comforts of your own a chair, bed, table................
Have some fun trying to make something like a solar still, Birch bark containers, nettle cordage, fire bow or a bow and arrow or a boomerang. Find or scavenge whatever’s lying around and see what you can do with it, fence wire arrow head, flint and steel just use your imagination keep busy and have a blast.
Enjoy Bro.

Last edited:

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
when u come to middlewood in september you can have a look through some of my kit and what not and there maybe some ideas for you

but on my list for you would be another tarp to have a fire under

a dutch oven and cast ion frying pan plus a lid lifter

a few storm lanturns cos head torches are good but storms are brill for base camp will deffos be getting some myself

a poker dice and cup yep i have some with a leather cup and i defos will be bringing to middlewood fancy a game of poker anyone

a folding table may be (depends on how luxuary you want to go) deffo getting a few more of these once money allows

a powered cooler (so want one of these but cant afford it at the present. so am using two cool boxes)

a parachute for communal area for great seat i have one for middlwood

a set of tripods and bar

dont what ever you do by a bell tent cos if you love your hammock u wont use it (learnt from experiance) and have now sold it to my mate
tommy

thats just for starters cos if u want luxuary u need the gear

more than a week? if i had the options
more tarps for space
a small table to put brew kit meths burner on
larger axe
substantial Bow saw
more cooking items so a frying pan, bigger billy cans
maybe a couple of books for inspiration of projects
decent bottle of something for morale purposes
maybe a norgie cool box

bearbait

A place for everything and everything in its place. Scrupulous hygiene for food prep. Wash up as soon as you've eaten. Have a grey-water bucket or container; only need to empty it once or twice a day that way. Try to get all your admin (cooking, eating, washing-up, squaring away camp) all done before dark: it's a lot easier than trying to do it with a head torch, perhaps tripping over tree roots, guy ropes etc. looking for the grey water disposal. Try to keep your vittles in critter-proof container(s), including your garbage; you don't get them there pesky rodents hanging about camp that way. Books to read - try a Kindle or equivalent. I sometimes trade my read paperbacks with other campers. A tarp over your living area is great, rain or shine. I second/third/whatever the suggestion for a chair. If I don't have a fire I tend to go to bed around sunset and get up around or just after sunrise - depending on the time of year of course. Sleeping bag liner (I like my Rab silk one). Proper pillows if you're car-camping. P bottle for the tent. If your missus is coming too there are things like the Shewee so she can share your P bottle (not that she'd probably want to!). A glass or two of a hop, grain or grape-flavoured beverage after supper makes the ground softer. After your trip make a list of what you took and didn't use and leave it behind next time.

You can have a reasonable wash with a sponge or two and some warm water: unless you're really yucky head, face, armpits, crotch and feet is all you need each day or so until the next hot shower. You may be able to blag a shower from a caravan site, or the local sports centre or swimming pool.

Libraries are good places to go on grotty days, especially if you can get WiFi for your laptop. Charge your mobile phone, Kindle, etc. while there. Can sometimes get WiFi/internet access from Visitor Centres.

I find that I want to simplify everything down, that is the gear, my routines, etc.: fast to make and break camp and get on the road or trail. I have - for car camping - a set of largish boxes that stack for organising stuff: e.g. breakfast box, lunch box, supper box, kitchen sink box (placcy bags, aluminium foil, detergent, J cloths, bog roll, paper towels, etc.).

Have a great trip!

Last edited:

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I took a camp bed for the first time when I was away for a week in June - one of those carp fishing things. It was brilliant as I'm not a hammocky sort. I also took one of those oval fishing umbrellas with the sides to cook under as well as a tarp. A chair is a good idea too, some of the foldable jobs are excellent. A 65ltr 5 day coolbox too. It rained for nearly the whole week so a good dry extension to the tent - with the tarp - meant that there wasn't a quagmire at the tent entrance & I could keep repositioning the brolly. Have a great time, mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE