Camping and the strong wind.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Ditto the bungees. Whenever we have a gale, I head for one of the big camp sites the morning after. The number of quality tents that are binned keep me in stuff bag/tarp fabric for another year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Sep 15, 2013
Teesside
Its amazing what a decent tent will take. I got myself a Hillberg and first trip out went to a proper campsite in Norfolk. Well during the night the wind got up and I thought this tents moving a bit and seems to magnify the wind noise. Next morning I looked out and saw a motorhome blown over.......that changed my mind

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Most of the things I'd say have already been mentioned. However, there are hardly any places where I might legally camp for the night are open places. For some obscure reasons, if you camp in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, you have to camp out of sight of other campers and out of sight of the trail. Practically everything is covered in trees and the most frightening experience I ever had while camping was spending a night when the wind was up. I lay there hearing things falling. But nothing fell on me, I'm happy to report. In any event, I've never camped where the tent had to put up with the full force of the wind.

There's also shelter for a day trip. Some of the more interesting places I can think of can be very windblown and for a rest stop, some kind of windbreak is necessary, as it is when it's raining or snowing. But tying down the shelter has never been a problem. Interestingly enough, I see just as many people out on the trails during cold weather as I do during the summer. To have it snow when I'm out is almost a bonus.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I've used vango pop ups in gale force winds in valleys and they just kind of implode and then pop out again. Theres a lot to be said for a bit of flexibility. I have to agree with mountainm, bungees, let it move a bit so it doesn't just rip out the ground.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
As Ric has said , the right tent pitched correctly, will stand up to gusting and gale force winds.
I've been out in my hilly and vuade in 70+ winds with no problems then they are designed for that.
Been out in 50+ in my bell tent.
Even a cheap tent pitch correctly and in the right location, will withstand a serious pounding from the wind..
Bob

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
The so called 'geodesic' designs move a lot less in the wind than tunnel designs. This was very evident one windy day in Wales where my Coleman Phact was steady while all the tunnel tents around were shaking madly.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I once had an australian tent, a dome, where the fly was clear of the ground (about 20cm) all round. the theory was that the wind blew between fly and inner, stiffening them.

It worked; was in a storm in france that blew over caravans, cars, wrecked houses. The tent was fine, despite having fairly crappy fibreglass poles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE