Shelter for the hills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I'm planning a solo trip to the breacon beacons (my first time) sometime in November, to include two or three nights wild camping. It's been quite a few years since I've mountain camped, for various reasons, and since then my equipment has changed somewhat.

I have the choice between taking the ubiquitous 3x3 DD tarp and pitching it in a tent configuration, combined with a groundsheet and a lightweight bivi bag, or I can take the big Agnes copper spur 4ul. I'm not so worried about weight differences. The 4-person copper spur incidentally is around 2.4kg.

The tent has quite a big footprint and I'll rattle around in it on my own. I'm not sure which one will be most reliable in heavy wind. The tarp has held up to heavy wind on one occasion so I'm inclined to trust it. The tent is fairly new and I've not yet tested it in horrendous weather.

What would you go for?

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
The weather risks being very inclement in november up in the Beacons & combined with the early nights, you may have to spend more time in your shelter than anticipated, so the bigger the better.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Way better than the Nevis is the Starav............. Roomier, sturdier, better ventilated, better porch............

A cross between a bivvy and a tent would be the Snugpak Ionosphere, great at wind and weather shedding, small, sturdy and light: whilst roomy for what it is, accomodation will be minimal..............

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Way better than the Nevis is the Starav............. Roomier, sturdier, better ventilated, better porch
Oddly I couldn't find much info on the starav, relative to the Nevis and Cairngorm. I went for the Nevis in the end as I didn't fancy rattling around in a four person tent. It looks spot on at first sight, I'll report back in a few weeks when I've tested it around the black mountain.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Well I'm back from a successful two nights in the wilds of the breacon beacons. Thank you to those who advised me on using a tent. A tarp would have worked but the extra level of shelter was certainly welcome. I expected challenging terrain and conditions and it didn't disappoint.

It was my first time in the breacon beacons and I would sum it up in two words: bleak and beautiful. After a long drive in the morning, I set off early afternoon up a secluded valley with the aim of setting up camp before nightfall. The weather from the outset was truly abysmal, and within half an hour I had to wade shin deep through flood water. This did not seem like a good start.
A few hours walking and several stream crossings later, I began searching for a place to camp. The immediate issue was the amount of ground water, foreacast possible thunder storms and risk of flooding in areas near the streams. I eventually found a spot to camp not long before darkness set in. The ground was thoroughly waterlogged here so I positioned myself on top of a line of tussocks. Water rose around my boots when I put any pressure on the ground, but this was the best I could do. It was a thoroughly bleak and lonesome spot with the rain coming in and initially I found it quite unsettling. But a hot wayfayrer boil-in-the-bag and hot chocolate lifted my spirits somewhat, and I spent the evening adjusting my planned route as it was clear that I wasn't going to travel as fast as I had planned. It rained through the night but by the morning I was glad to see the weather had cleared. And the tent had faired well. Here was the sunrise as I poked my head out the tent. I might as well have been the only human on the planet

My next full day's walk involved climbing onto a ridge, then walking along said ridge to a local summit. From here I would veer off the path through the moors to reach a further path and hopefully the next camp spot. Getting onto the ridge proved tricky. I attempted what looked like a reasonably clear direct route up the slope through the crags, following a series of sheep tracks. But it became increasingly steep and tenuous, as is often the way. There came a point where I thought that if the cloud were to come in I would struggle to retrace safely back through the crags. I would then be in trouble. Turning back is not an easy decision to make, especially when it impacts a planned route. But inevetiably it is the right thing to do. I eventually found a safer route up.

Highlights off the day were coming across a small herd of semi wild horses, and the stunning views along the ridge. The weather spared me and I was treated to mostly clear skies. The summit area however was shrouded in cloud and this gave me a good opportunity to practice my map work. I was able to take a back bearing from a distant farmhouse and track my position along the risge until I lost visibility, and from there pace until I reached the point at which I would head off the beaten track and cross the open moors.

My second camp spot was perfect. I gave myself plenty of time to set up while a raven circled overhead or watched me from a perch on its rock. I was glad of its company as the skies darkened. I had planned to watch a film but instead lay back watching the moon and Jupiter drift in and out of the clouds. I have never slept anywhere as peaceful and as quiet. I woke in the morning to strong wind and torrential rain, packed up efficiently, and marched back to the car at a good pace.

I thought I should think about worked well and what didn't:

Sawyer mini filter. I'll never again go for long walks without this.

Vango Nevis 100 (edit: it's the Nevis 200 not 100). Cosy little shelter and did all I require of a shelter, which is to stand up to wind and rain. It never let a drop in, had enough space to relax in and a porch big enough to cook in.

Osprey kestrel 58. I found this to be a comfortable pack, but when stuffed, I couldn't get much more than a small bottle in the side pouches. I felt these, and the back pouch, were a bit of a wasted opportunity. Also, the bladder pouch was unusable with the pack full. I missed proper side pockets that you can actually put stuff in. The lid pockets were great though.

Uco mini candle lantern. I loved having this. It made the tent homely in the long evenings. It never spilt wax nor did it burn down the tent.

Taking a paper back book was pointless.

Having soaked boots never bothered me. I had a dry pair of socks for each day. Having a dry set of tent clothes has never been so important.

I learnt a couple of things too. First is, I have a tendancy to underestimate landscape features on the OS map. I need to pay more attention to the small details, contour changes and so on. Frustratingly my mental arithmetic is not up to calculating distances and pacings, particularly when tired and wet. I need to work on this.

Secondly, I didn't drink enough water and was dehydrated most of the time. I refilled my bottles from a stream part way through the second day, but found no further streams at my second camp spot. I ended up collecting rain water part way through the night, which wasn't ideal. Next time I will take a spare empty water bladder for greater flexibility.

In any case, it was a success.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Dry and snug in a tent out of the wind and rain. You did it right.
For how many eons has Man done like you did and watched the night skies? When it gets dark, it is DARK.

I'd be curious to learn more of your hot food menu selections and drinks.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I kept things fairly simple for food. Breakfast was a Wayfayrer boil in the bag beans and sausage, with a cup of tea. Evening meals were wayfayrer boil in the bag curry or rice chilli, a small steamed pudding followed by an instant hot chocolate. Lunch was a tortilla wrap with tinned tuna sandwich filling and then various snacks throughout the days - cereal bars, dried fruit and nuts etc. I managed an instant soup for lunch at one point, but the weather was generally not conducive to sitting around a stove for long.
I love the boil in the bag meals. Simple,
tasty and wholesome. They're heavy compared to dehydrated meals of course, but with the distances I was covering it didn't matter too much. It's incredible what a hot meal does to your state of mind. Stove was an msr pocket rocket 2, and a 750 ml titanium pot.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Well I'm back from a successful two nights in the wilds of the breacon beacons. Thank you to those who advised me on using a tent. A tarp would have worked but the extra level of shelter was certainly welcome. I expected challenging terrain and conditions and it didn't disappoint.

It was my first time in the breacon beacons and I would sum it up in two words: bleak and beautiful. After a long drive in the morning, I set off early afternoon up a secluded valley with the aim of setting up camp before nightfall. The weather from the outset was truly abysmal, and within half an hour I had to wade shin deep through flood water. This did not seem like a good start.
A few hours walking and several stream crossings later, I began searching for a place to camp. The immediate issue was the amount of ground water, foreacast possible thunder storms and risk of flooding in areas near the streams. I eventually found a spot to camp not long before darkness set in. The ground was thoroughly waterlogged here so I positioned myself on top of a line of tussocks. Water rose around my boots when I put any pressure on the ground, but this was the best I could do. It was a thoroughly bleak and lonesome spot with the rain coming in and initially I found it quite unsettling. But a hot wayfayrer boil-in-the-bag and hot chocolate lifted my spirits somewhat, and I spent the evening adjusting my planned route as it was clear that I wasn't going to travel as fast as I had planned. It rained through the night but by the morning I was glad to see the weather had cleared. And the tent had faired well. Here was the sunrise as I poked my head out the tent. I might as well have been the only human on the planet

My next full day's walk involved climbing onto a ridge, then walking along said ridge to a local summit. From here I would veer off the path through the moors to reach a further path and hopefully the next camp spot. Getting onto the ridge proved tricky. I attempted what looked like a reasonably clear direct route up the slope through the crags, following a series of sheep tracks. But it became increasingly steep and tenuous, as is often the way. There came a point where I thought that if the cloud were to come in I would struggle to retrace safely back through the crags. I would then be in trouble. Turning back is not an easy decision to make, especially when it impacts a planned route. But inevetiably it is the right thing to do. I eventually found a safer route up.

Highlights off the day were coming across a small herd of semi wild horses, and the stunning views along the ridge. The weather spared me and I was treated to mostly clear skies. The summit area however was shrouded in cloud and this gave me a good opportunity to practice my map work. I was able to take a back bearing from a distant farmhouse and track my position along the risge until I lost visibility, and from there pace until I reached the point at which I would head off the beaten track and cross the open moors.

My second camp spot was perfect. I gave myself plenty of time to set up while a raven circled overhead or watched me from a perch on its rock. I was glad of its company as the skies darkened. I had planned to watch a film but instead lay back watching the moon and Jupiter drift in and out of the clouds. I have never slept anywhere as peaceful and as quiet. I woke in the morning to strong wind and torrential rain, packed up efficiently, and marched back to the car at a good pace.

I thought I should think about worked well and what didn't:

Sawyer mini filter. I'll never again go for long walks without this.

Vango Nevis 100 (edit: it's the Nevis 200 not 100). Cosy little shelter and did all I require of a shelter, which is to stand up to wind and rain. It never let a drop in, had enough space to relax in and a porch big enough to cook in.

Osprey kestrel 58. I found this to be a comfortable pack, but when stuffed, I couldn't get much more than a small bottle in the side pouches. I felt these, and the back pouch, were a bit of a wasted opportunity. Also, the bladder pouch was unusable with the pack full. I missed proper side pockets that you can actually put stuff in. The lid pockets were great though.

Uco mini candle lantern. I loved having this. It made the tent homely in the long evenings. It never spilt wax nor did it burn down the tent.

Taking a paper back book was pointless.

Having soaked boots never bothered me. I had a dry pair of socks for each day. Having a dry set of tent clothes has never been so important.

I learnt a couple of things too. First is, I have a tendancy to underestimate landscape features on the OS map. I need to pay more attention to the small details, contour changes and so on. Frustratingly my mental arithmetic is not up to calculating distances and pacings, particularly when tired and wet. I need to work on this.

Secondly, I didn't drink enough water and was dehydrated most of the time. I refilled my bottles from a stream part way through the second day, but found no further streams at my second camp spot. I ended up collecting rain water part way through the night, which wasn't ideal. Next time I will take a spare empty water bladder for greater flexibility.

In any case, it was a success.
This is fantastic, thank you for sharing and explaining stuff......Fantastic, well done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE