Campfire water heater

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Does anybody know where I can get one of these water heaters in the UK?

I'm looking for a simple solution for washing up etc on Scout camps.

hillbillyhotwaterinuse.jpg

The simple yet ingenious Hillbilly campfire hot water service is a great way to provide all the hot water needs of the camp for dishwashing, showers and so on. Placed on the ground next to your campfire filled with cold water it takes little time to warm. As hot water is required simply pour cold water into the unit through the funnel on the lid, the cold water is directed to the base of the tank displacing an equal volume of hot water from the outlet spout at the top of the unit. Your water stays free of ash, the tank remains full at all times and is inherently stable.

Fingers crossed...

Simon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Our Scout group made a lazyman boiler out of an ol oildrum.... The plans came from a Scout publication of some sort...

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
Ronnie Sunshines have a 'thingy' that you put in your cooking fire which has a coiled pipe in it and heats the water in the pipe - Jompy Camping Hot Water Boiler. It looks quite cool (fancied some for my Guide Unit but we have an old metal dustbin with a tap fitted onto it, which we fill with water and light a fire under - which works fine, and a gas water urn for posh camps)
http://www.ronniesunshines.com/jompy-camping-water-boiler-p-1444.html
Vicky

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
It's quite a small dustbin! 24 girls + leaders can get through quite a bit of hot water at camp. You wouldn't need that much hot water as scouts don't get washed do they?!

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Toddy has a hugemungus kettle not sure what size it is but it looks like it would take about 10 litres or so .

Not sure where you would get one but it is a cracker .

Craig..............

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Came from a clear out of a Kirk hall; it's a Women's Guild Teapot :D
Russ made a set of trivets that it sits on to keep it side on to the firebowl. It sits there soaking up the heat and boiling water :approve: No fuss, no bother. Easy to fill and pour too, if you've got muscles like Popeye, or the average 60 year old Church of Scotland Women's Guild Tea convenor :rolleyes: :D gives you a whole new respect for those wee women pouring 50 cuppas from it into the best bone china and not spilling a drop :D

I did see modern ones on ebay a while back, but they were a heck of a price :eek: Mine came courtesy of JohnC :)

cheers,
Toddy

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Well known fac tin scouting circles that it "saps the natural oils" we laugh at the scout camp kit lists cause well thought out though they are the reality is 75% plus gets packed/ comes home untouched. eg change of underwear/towel soap kit/ etc. might be better just leaving it off and cutting down the weight.
When it comes to swmbos guide unit though they check kit before leaving as there is sometimes no useful kit ( waterproof /sensible footwear) but all the trappings of a successful party night out at paris hilton s place.
that said there are a few scouts like that and thats just the leaders im talking about. Dont get me going on the subjct of district glampers......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE