Camp Chairs: what do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I've been wild camping for a while now. I usually meet up with a couple of mates in the New Forest. The one thing I can't find is a lightweight chair to sit on. I currently take one of those folding fake canvas chairs that are both heavy and impractical to strap to ones rucksack (obviously my hands are full with the beer cooler). I tried one of those tiny three legged canvas stools but that just wasn't comfortable. I would prefer not to sit on the ground but wouldn't rule it out. What do others use? Suggestions please.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I've been wild camping for a while now. I usually meet up with a couple of mates in the New Forest. The one thing I can't find is a lightweight chair to sit on. I currently take one of those folding fake canvas chairs that are both heavy and impractical to strap to ones rucksack (obviously my hands are full with the beer cooler). I tried one of those tiny three legged canvas stools but that just wasn't comfortable. I would prefer not to sit on the ground but wouldn't rule it out. What do others use? Suggestions please.

Just sit on the beer cooler?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Those little fold up tripod stools are OK but I use fold up chair, goes with my fold up cot bed :) Last time I camped without a chair was 2006 and thats when my back and knees said "enough buster, get something to sit on".

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Is it 'wild camping' if you take a chair?? Or is it regular camping but not on a camp site??

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Fishing-Folding-Camp-Stool-BM-1004-C-.jpg

This sort of thing works well for me. Folds flat and fits nicely in a pack without taking up too much room, comfortable enough and the horizontal tubular feet spread the load so that it doest sink into soft ground or go thru' groundsheets.

Attachments

• Fishing-Folding-Camp-Stool-BM-1004-C-.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 83

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I havn't tried it but this is what i'v been planning on using this set up next time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jura-cmCsA

I have some material in the house that i'm going to try and use to make it.

I had a go at one of these just as an experiment. It was comfortable enough, once I had found a way of giving enough 'sag' to sit on without slipping off. As I recall, I ended up tieing the upper knot a little way down the back leg - I haven't used it for a year or so as I usually have my car and so take a chair

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I made a simple folding stool - two square wooden frames, one narrow enough to pivot within the other. Canvas top nailed and stapled to the two upper frame members. Light enough to carry on a rucsack and I far prefer the look and feel of wood and canvas to plastic and nylon.

I'll try and post a photo later.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I had a go at one of these just as an experiment. It was comfortable enough, once I had found a way of giving enough 'sag' to sit on without slipping off. As I recall, I ended up tieing the upper knot a little way down the back leg - I haven't used it for a year or so as I usually have my car and so take a chair

I giev this a try too, wasnt very comfortable for the slipping reason you state and also the cross bar seemed to dig into the back of my legs. Could of had it all wrong but i did fiddle about and just could not get comfy...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I made one of these:

stool1.jpg

some heavy canvas, hemmed with pockets in each corner

stool2.jpg

Sticks, from the wood pile, but could be cut fresh on site, some string...

stool3.jpg

Works ok, but if I have a car, I'd take a foldy chair....

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London

This sort of thing works well for me. Folds flat and fits nicely in a pack without taking up too much room, comfortable enough and the horizontal tubular feet spread the load so that it doest sink into soft ground or go thru' groundsheets.

I think this is the best bet. I've seen something similar but with shorter legs (more of a struggle getting up but less chair to lug around).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE