Not quite 'bushcraft' but camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That is actually one of the reasons that I posted the question.

By nature I make. It's hardwired into me. I use natural resources, I do so seasonally, and I always aim to try to leave better than I found, or at least in a state that a decent recovery is quickly possible.

That doesn't work on a site which is much used though. That constant depredation is untenable.

Where do we draw the line however (should there be a line ? ) on packing everything +the kitchen sink, or going as lightweight as possible but in need of some natural resources ?

Bushcraft is supposedly carrying less by knowing more; well that knowing more still needs resources to work with.

I know it's very much horses for courses, but with so many people accessing the outdoors, and mind in the UK we're on islands and that in itself is an issue, especially with population density, let alone seasonality, that even if most of us are careful it doesn't take many being uncareful to totally denude/trash/deforest an area.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a long wheelbase panel van, it's transport, tin tent and place to sit in comfort.when its chucking down.

A mate and me sometimes rock up, have a BBQ, few beers then retire to kip in our respective vehicles.
Wake up and have a few cuppas, brekky then tidy up the site so it looks like we've never been there.
Go home.

Sorry if its not Herbaceous Bordercraft enough for some folks but its easy and leaves no mess and we get to chill and talk for a night, something thats easy to miss out on with work and families and all.

Roughneck

Mar 17, 2021
Chelmsford
Don't be sorry at all, its absolutely fine what anyone wants to do, the main thing is we all like the OUTDOORS and enjoy it in our own way, and respect it and that's all that matters. The Van sounds cool.

Bee Outdoors

Aug 10, 2019
Manchester
I have a long wheelbase panel van, it's transport, tin tent and place to sit in comfort.when its chucking down.

A mate and me sometimes rock up, have a BBQ, few beers then retire to kip in our respective vehicles.
Wake up and have a few cuppas, brekky then tidy up the site so it looks like we've never been there.
Go home.

Sorry if its not Herbaceous Bordercraft enough for some folks but its easy and leaves no mess and we get to chill and talk for a night, something thats easy to miss out on with work and families and all.
That’s the thing! It’s what you enjoy and ok it’s not bushcraft but how many actually practice bushcraft in the U.K. it’s all about enjoying yourself without affecting others and limiting the impact in the environment. I got a friend that can not hike carry a lot of gear so we camp close to the cars and enjoy the wilderness and company

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think those are very good points.

Often being out it is the company and the chill out time that is for many almost stolen time. Modern life kind of crunches time.
I think sometimes we just need to breath cold clear air, enjoy the night and feel 'real' again.

I don't think it matters that to do so we don't sweat blood and tears of hard effort. I'm not getting in a dig at the survivalists on this, I hasten to add, been there, done that, learnt loads but kind of had enough.

Yes it's good to challenge ourselves, but I reckon most of my challenging days are well by, but that doesn't mean I don't want to enjoy being out, breathing that cold clear air anymore.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've done my fare share of sleeping under a basha in the middle of winter up a fell and yeah I enjoy it but I can't just finish work on a friday and get out camping quick doing that.
With my van I just fire a few of my work tools out into the front room, nip to Asda for some BBQ stuff and old giffer type beers and in pretty short order can be sat out talking with a lad I've known for forty odd years.

I'll likely never do a full campervan cos this one carries my work tools, motorbike as and when needed and I can kip on the floor.
Campervans are great and all but not anything like general purpose for me.

I guess the point is that theres a broad spectrum of people who enjoy the countryside in a variety of different ways and even the same people sometimes do things a little differently depending on their time available and the people they're doing it with.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As a youtuber and outdoorsman I refrain myself from building a permanent camp even on my permissions, all these forts, dens and useless structures are mostly for show.

Whereas I understand and respect your view on this, it is not considered to always be the best solution. We live on a very densely, overpopulated, island with the lowest forestation cover of all of Europe.

I am the current custodian of an Ancient Semi Natural Woodland that is managed for conservation - that is for the benefit of the woodland itself and the wildlife in and around it. I allow low levels of recreational use but, for that not to adversely affect the main objectives of the management plan, I have to put boundaries on how it is used. If I allowed everyone that comes to camp where they like, even if they are very good at LNT, very little of the wood would remain at it's best for the wildlife and the ecosystem. Apart from any other advantage, it means that I can make the wood for fires available at one place without fear of people taking wood from places that are set aside as habitats.

In the UK we just don't have the big spaces to allow 'free' access IMO but even in other countries, with much larger wilderness areas, camps and fire pits are set up in semi-permanent locations.

Having said all that, if your point was that we don't need to be building natural shelters and the such every time we go into the woods I am 100% with you.

Anyway, apologies for the tangent, we should all enjoy the countryside in whatever way we like as long as it doesn't impact on others (I'm referring to playing Youtube videos around the campfire again :)) and is done with respect to the immediate and wider environment.

Bee Outdoors

Aug 10, 2019
Manchester
Whereas I understand and respect your view on this, it is not considered to always be the best solution. We live on a very densely, overpopulated, island with the lowest forestation cover of all of Europe.

I am the current custodian of an Ancient Semi Natural Woodland that is managed for conservation - that is for the benefit of the woodland itself and the wildlife in and around it. I allow low levels of recreational use but, for that not to adversely affect the main objectives of the management plan, I have to put boundaries on how it is used. If I allowed everyone that comes to camp where they like, even if they are very good at LNT, very little of the wood would remain at it's best for the wildlife and the ecosystem. Apart from any other advantage, it means that I can make the wood for fires available at one place without fear of people taking wood from places that are set aside as habitats.

In the UK we just don't have the big spaces to allow 'free' access IMO but even in other countries, with much larger wilderness areas, camps and fire pits are set up in semi-permanent locations.

Having said all that, if your point was that we don't need to be building natural shelters and the such every time we go into the woods I am 100% with you.

Anyway, apologies for the tangent, we should all enjoy the countryside in whatever way we like as long as it doesn't impact on others (I'm referring to playing Youtube videos around the campfire again :)) and is done with respect to the immediate and wider environment.
Yes I totally understand and agree, my view is building shelters is not necessary unless it’s a bushcraft or survival school on their own land doing it for the purpose of teaching the skill and it’s well managed where the material is used more than once gor the purpose, I got two permissions and though I got the go ahead to build a permanent shelter I choose not to do it as I feel I would only be encouraging others to do it. To be quite honest I also don’t have the need for one.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Yes I totally understand and agree, my view is building shelters is not necessary unless it’s a bushcraft or survival school on their own land doing it for the purpose of teaching the skill and it’s well managed where the material is used more than once gor the purpose, I got two permissions and though I got the go ahead to build a permanent shelter I choose not to do it as I feel I would only be encouraging others to do it. To be quite honest I also don’t have the need for one.
You cannot go into any wood anywhere these days without encountering a plethora of stereotypical "bushcraft shelters" they seem to be as abundant as the scars of barbecues and discarded beer cans.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I've got a cast iron Dutch oven and a cast iron plate, both of which are my go to cooking doofers if I'm not doing an epic hike. So with vehicle somewhat on hand, that's what I'd take.

As for anything else? No idea...The wife and Doggo would be coming too, so whatever they suggest... If it were left up to me, it wouldn't take long for me to revert to being a neanderthal...

Reactions: Erbswurst

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It is a rare and wonderful pleasure to escape all the paraphernalia of twenty-first century living and go out to a beautiful spot with the minimum amount of kit to sustain you for the length time you are out there. Even if my camp is 'static', I stick to this minimal rule as it makes the whole experience of being in the wilds that bit more satisfying. I do not take a chair as there are usually plenty of logs on which to sit; I do take my hammock, mat, sleeping bag and tarp to provide shelter; I take a small stove or, if permitted, light a fire on which to cook and boil water, always in a billy can. Food can be a challenge, particularly if it needs refrigeration but then there are plenty of dried foods that rehydrate easily and deliciously.

I suppose that I am looking for an experience that is as different from 'home life' as possible because it is that contrast that is so refreshing. If I can fit it in my pack - and I can carry it(!) the x miles from where I parked the car - then it comes but I try to keep it to a minimum.

So, I don't try and set up something that resembles a house. Although I have one, I don't see the point in carrying a Dutch oven into the woods - they are simply too heavy. Alcohol usually gets left behind - that's a treat for home. I think that the two luxuries that always get included are a book to read and a pencil/pen and notepad. Other than that, I only take everything I need, nothing I don't.

Reactions: Broch and nigelp

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
2 people visit a given area each weekend for a year, each making a tripod style Bushcraft chair. 6 saplings each weekend for a year! In 12 months what was a tiny corner in the woods is now a clearing bigger than a football pitch.
I take my own metal poles with me... and bring them home.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I said a similar thing to a friend ages ago, I don’t know how many members are on here, say for example 20,000.
If everyone went out at the weekend and cut trees for fires and shelter the place will be like a desert. No old wood for insects, no new trees to grow fast enough.

Reactions: Kadushu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE