Cameras

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I think I fancy getting myself a digital SLR and going on a trip somewhere. I have used a regular SLR for years, and a highstreet digital pocket camera. I find the pocket one more convenient for packing but it never did take shots as sharp as the SLR, being indecisive, I normally end up taking them both. Its time to combine the two though.

Im wondering if anybody has any paticular favourite digital SLR that are about £300 to £400 mark (new or second hand) I use a canon at the moment, but its over simplicated with little pictures of men running and night scenes on it to show me what button to press, and to be honest I prefered messing about with the F stops, I had better control.

any tips anyone? You all should do, owing that most of you take photos and are far better at it than me!:naughty:

First tip ... think about what lens(es) you might need. Believe me it can radically alter your budget.

Look at the Canon 400D, the Nikon D40 and D50 and take it from there. Think about what kind of things you want to photograph and then look at what lenses you might need. Don't forget that the sensors on all the consumer level DSLRs are smaller and so multiply the 35mm focal length by the crop factor (1.6 on Canons).

I'd be more verbose but I'm just heading out the door. If no one else has pitched in by the time I check the thread again I'll fill in the details a bit :)

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
I'm a Nikon guy, so obviously i can't tell you much about canon's

I don't have that much to spend on a camera, but i believe i have a fairly decent camera in my old D50. Mainly due to that it actually is an improved early-model d70.
This combined with a decent lens (i have a Sigma F2,8 28-70 as a primary lens) does give me many benefits as opposed to expensive cameras with not so expensive(good) lenses.

If i had the cash for it, i would probably go full frame with a D300 instead, bought used on ebay or the like. Until i can buy a camera like the D300, i'll stick with my trusty friend: the D50.

However if i where to buy a camera, and i didn't have anything, i would have a look at D80's used, they are fairly easy to get a hold of, and they are decent cameras.
Or a D200. Bit pricier, but still a good buy.
However i would always spend more on the lenses, than i would on the camera itself.

Don't know if that was of any help at all, just my immidiate thoughts upon the subject

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
yes lenses. I used to have a 70 - 200mm which I really liked. I know having an alterable length compremises the quality, but I find its better for my price range and needs. I like to take pictures of wildlife for painting. So its not nessisarily overall picture composition Im looking for, but sharpness and probably fast autofocus ( I have trouble with manual focus because I different sight in both eyes)
Id prefer not to get eaten by the wildlife, though I don't think my next trip is to Africa, Ive got to use up my annual leave before january so I got to go somewhere!
without zoom
lionsred.jpg

with zoom
lionportrait.jpg

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
On an irrelevant side note, all those Lions are males. Tsavo east lions are maneless, but they don't look good in national geographic so most people have come to the impression all lions grow a mane!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use a Cannon 400D and its a better camera than I am a photographer - I have a variety of lenses from macro to 400mm. I suspect good basic SLR and spend money on lenses as you can - you can always upgrade the body later. If you are local to the downs come and shoot a few hundred shots on a bimble on the chalk with mine some time - see what you think of it

Red

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Cheers Red, but Im up Manchester way. The Downs might as well be abroad! YOull have to come to a northern/midlands meet sometime.

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I'll be selling a little-used Nikon D-100 with MB-D100 powerpack and Sigma 18-50 and 28-135 zoom next week. :) It's a substantial camera with plenty of features to fiddle with!

My main camera is a Fuji S3-Pro, though I find I tend to use my Nikon P5100 more than anything else these days.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I agree 100% with what hedgepig said, any of those models new would be a good choice... Also check out second hand deals for great combinations like the Nikon D200 and 18-200VR lens... this was available as a kit not too long ago and is a great camera now very inexpensive to buy.

If you already have Canon lenses or access to them go with them... I would say Canon or Nikon are both choices you wouldn't regret.

I personally like my Nikon but am not above seeing the quality and innovation from Canon.

incidentally, the D300 is not a full frame, Nikon, I understand have 2 full frame cameras (they call them FX) and that's the D3 (which I have - yay me!) and the D700. This will cost you many pounds in expensive glass as they seem to want to make only the DX lenses cheaper.

Lenses I recommend... good macro like a 105mm so you don't have to be right on top of the thing you're shooting... something similar to the 70-200 range (though maybe not one of the high end f/2.8 lenses and something in the middle... maybe a 50mm f/1.4 (though I know Nikon are releasing a brand new 50mm soon).

I also got a 1.7x teleadapter and it's great for sticking on the end of my 70-200f/2.8 for a bit more range... though it does close the aperture a little. The nikon 14-24f/2.8 is a superb lens for REALLY wide shots but not cheap.

The bottom line though is that even the less expensive Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras are great these days.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Despite many peoples opinions, just about any DSLR will deliver good pictures these days.

Your current equipment may have a bearing on your choice or as mentioned earlier the cost of your proposed complete outfit may be a deciding factor.

I generally distrust anyone who says there is a clearly better system because they invariably say that the system they chose is that system. eg. Canon users say Canon is best, Nikon users say Nikon is best......They can't both be right can they.

Ultimately, decide what you need a camera to do, look at internet review sites to find the camera and system that suits your needs, cost the system you need and make your choice.

You can't actually go far wrong whatever your decision.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Nikons v's canon's. I've used both at work and can honestly say that canon's are far better, they fit my hand better I find them more instinctive to work with than nikons and I find them easier to focus manually than nikons. My boss at the time however said the exact opposite to me for exactly the same reason's.

Go to a shop and try each one and find what feels right and you won't go far wrong.

I wouldn't discount the bridge camera's either they're a lot lighter than the DSLR's and you'll carry one with you more often. The best camera is like the best knife it's the one that you have with you at the time ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Bridge cameras, as alpha_centaur suggests, are always an option. Fuji have quite a decent range of cameras, although they never have everything you want on them. Best you get into a good photography shop and have a play, plus get hands on at the meets. There must be a massive variety of cameras amongst us all.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Nikons v's canon's. I've used both at work and can honestly say that canon's are far better, they fit my hand better I find them more instinctive to work with than nikons and I find them easier to focus manually than nikons. My boss at the time however said the exact opposite to me for exactly the same reason's.

Go to a shop and try each one and find what feels right and you won't go far wrong.

I wouldn't discount the bridge camera's either they're a lot lighter than the DSLR's and you'll carry one with you more often. The best camera is like the best knife it's the one that you have with you at the time ;)

Yeah... errr.... I wasn't referring to user preference and the specifics of your hand shape or how the camera butts up to your nose but rather the quality, features and support from Nikon and Canon.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
My old Camera is an EOS, with a canon autofocus lens.

So I can actually use that lens on a new digital camera so long as its a canon? I had assumed the lenses were body specific, are they general then? I hope so I remember the lens cost me a few hundred :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
There are generally a few reasons why lenses are compatible or not...

firstly is the mount, this is why you need an adapter to use canon lenses on nikon or nikon on sony etc.

Secondly is non cpu lenses, ie: they are older than the current technology and certain features might not work such as autofocus.

Lastly the lens zoom eg: 70-200 is linked to the size of the sensor... so smaller sensors throw lenses off designed for 35mm film or full frame sensors that are also 35mm. This is less important I guess because you're still able to frame the shot in the viewfinder regardless.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
There are generally a few reasons why lenses are compatible or not...

firstly is the mount, this is why you need an adapter to use canon lenses on nikon or nikon on sony etc.

Secondly is non cpu lenses, ie: they are older than the current technology and certain features might not work such as autofocus.

Lastly the lens zoom eg: 70-200 is linked to the size of the sensor... so smaller sensors throw lenses off designed for 35mm film or full frame sensors that are also 35mm. This is less important I guess because you're still able to frame the shot in the viewfinder regardless.

Ah good thing you said about the sensor. I think Im probably going to canon, probably 400d if I can afford it, but my best bet is to take the lens in with me and see if its compatable with the DSLR Canons. Id rather base my choice around the lens I already have than the body of the camera.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE