Cameras, which do you use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Old school me... Nikon FM2n completely manual.. doesn't need a battery! Lots of Nikon single focus lenses from 24mm and upwards,

I'd go digital but would weep at how little my old stuff would fetch.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Canon 10D with a couple of L series lenses for most stuff, digital Ixus when I am trying to be discrete about the photographs or am playing in the sea (got a scuba housing for it), Kiev 60 or Lubital 166 when I want to play medium format and an MPP 4"x5" for when I am thinking I can take decent landscapes!

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Nikon Coolpix 8800 (8MP, Vibration reduction)

Camera.jpg

Added a speedlight as the on board flash is a bit wimpy and i hate direct flash, i much prefer to bounce it off a ceiling or wall.

Did have a DSLR for 1 day (Canon EOS 30D) but it was faulty so it went back. SWMBO decided we were getting a new telly instead so i am staying with the Nikon at the moment.
To be honest i probably will anyway, the Nikon takes great pictures and the extra amount of money i am going to have to spend on a DSLR to get that little bit of extra speed and creative functions i just can't justify the expense for the amount i am using cameras at the moment.

**Edit** just looking at the picture when i posted....do you think there is enough branding on the camera???!!!

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
I was using a Nikon D70 till about a year ago, when I got me a little compact digital to take in the surf. A Pentax Optio W10, and Ive hardly used the D70 since. pics have been amazing For the weight : robustness : waterproofness I am yet to find a situation i cant use it in snorkelling, rainy days on the hill, even the macro pics are awesome as you can see below

Found this fly atop a gate, couldnt resist a quick snap as the colours were so amazing and I wanted to see how the camera coped, its probably about 8mm long.

l_6f9320fd50da37b00a218fc633b532cd.jpg

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well I use a canon ixus for snowboarding as it is small enough to carry all the time...but have been looking at a dslr for wildlife shots and the like.Not trying to hijack be recommendations would be great. looked at Canon Eos I do like Canon stuff thanks Dave

Dynamite Dan

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 19, 2007
BlackBurn, Lancashire
I cant comment on Cannon as ive never used them, but i do recommend my D50, probably pick it up quite cheap now.. OR if your a newbie into the DSLR market, a D40 is out now, aimed at people like you.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I was using a Nikon D70 till about a year ago, when I got me a little compact digital to take in the surf. A Pentax Optio W10, and Ive hardly used the D70 since. pics have been amazing For the weight : robustness : waterproofness I am yet to find a situation i cant use it in snorkelling, rainy days on the hill, even the macro pics are awesome as you can see below

Found this fly atop a gate, couldnt resist a quick snap as the colours were so amazing and I wanted to see how the camera coped, its probably about 8mm long.

l_6f9320fd50da37b00a218fc633b532cd.jpg

Wow! Great macro, great shot.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I use a simple Nikon Coolpix 4600. It's small enough to carry everywhere (when I remember it :rolleyes: ) which I like and although not the best digital camera ever it does the job OK for me and the family and for general bushcrafty pics.

dscn1277xo2.jpg

dscn1179ay9.jpg

ATB....Stu

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ta for the replies my canon ticks alot of boxes for me

By tommythecat at 2007-07-01
Great size,easy application for posting on the web.....but lack of decent zoom for catching deer and animals that much further away.
Was looking at upto £500 but I am also going to see my mate in Canada and dont know if I should wait and buy there.
Dave

May 24, 2007
Nikon D50 with a Sigma 28-300 lens.

I've also got an old Pentax Optio 750Z compact which has a very good macro ability.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Well I use a canon ixus for snowboarding as it is small enough to carry all the time...but have been looking at a dslr for wildlife shots and the like.Not trying to hijack be recommendations would be great. looked at Canon Eos I do like Canon stuff thanks Dave

My 10D has survived several years of abuse from me and hooked up to my ancient L series lenses (slow auto focus by todays standards but fabulous clarity!) is still a cracking camera capable of far better imagery than I am! As it was the bottom end pro camera when it came out it is far more solidly built than somthing like the 300D or 350D.
Cheers
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE