Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Thanks for the offer Kev thats really kind of you.

On another note, as this is my first meet and I think I have got the kit list ok from Woflcrafters blog, my next question is food, what do you guys take with you to eat? Do you actually take it with you or is there a shop close by?
I would love to try my hand at some bannock to so Im gonna trawling the internet for decent recipes!

cheers
Steve

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
On another note, as this is my first meet and I think I have got the kit list ok from Woflcrafters blog, my next question is food, what do you guys take with you to eat? Do you actually take it with you or is there a shop close by?
I would love to try my hand at some bannock to so Im gonna trawling the internet for decent recipes!

cheers
Steve

I'm not too sure of what shops (if any) are near to the site, from what I have seen of the area, there is not an awful lot closeby! so it might be best to bring food with you, which is what we tend to do (well I know I do :))

As to what food to bring, bring what ever you like, as long as you can cook it, and want to eat it then it'll be fine.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Is there anybody camping over the night or is it just me on my lonesome lol?
Still unsure about the whole food thing, not sure if dried is the way forward (pot noodles dont taste the same as when I was a kid) or weather to cook proper food on the stoves I have!!

I have been keeping an eye in my local tesco and some of the pre cooked pasta in the foil pouches look a winner!!

Anyone got any advice on a easy Bannock recipe??

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Generaly we tend to cook 'real' food, although if you'd prefer to boil in the bag/pot noodle etc you won't be looked down on :) just think about what you want to eat as opposed to what might be 'expected' - hopefully that makes sense?

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Generaly we tend to cook 'real' food, although if you'd prefer to boil in the bag/pot noodle etc you won't be looked down on :) just think about what you want to eat as opposed to what might be 'expected' - hopefully that makes sense?

I know exactly what you mean mate, Im just a bit wierd about keeping cold food cold and fresh etc, and cleanlyness too!
Must be a slight case of ocd lol

What sort of things do/will you be taking eel28? sorry for all questions fella and thanks for your help so far.
My experience of outdoor cooking other than Bbq's is very limited indeed lol

Cheers
Steve

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
I dont know if this will help but it works for me..............

If im in a proper camp then ill take fresh meat and whatever else i fancy (instant mash, tinned goodies etc) for a night. But if im on weekender i cook my bacon/sausage etc - then FREEZE it and take it out of the freezer just as i am leaving home. Works really well for me during warm months. Heat it up with the meal and fannys your aunt. Rice like the uncle bens is quick n easy too....

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I know exactly what you mean mate, Im just a bit wierd about keeping cold food cold and fresh etc, and cleanlyness too!
Must be a slight case of ocd lol

What sort of things do/will you be taking eel28? sorry for all questions fella and thanks for your help so far.
My experience of outdoor cooking other than Bbq's is very limited indeed lol

Cheers
Steve

I usually bring a small coolbox along with me, which does a great job of keeping things cold/fresh, also helps if some meat stuff is packed into it straight from the freezer - no need to worry, it will slowly thaw and be 'cookable' by tea time :)

not sure what I'll be cooking this time, as will only be there for the day, but in the past I have cooked roast pork, roast lamb, various cuts of chicken, burgers and the obvious 'fry up' for breakfast :)

Others have cooked pizza (completly made from scratch on site), rat packs, various tinned 'meals' oh and the odd loaf of bread has been baked from scratch aswell, just to name a few. but please don't think any of us are attempting to be anything like Delia/Heston/Jamie/Ramsey/Hairy Bikers etc it's just that we do like our food :)

as for cleaniness, I find a pack of baby wipes very useful, for keeping hands and utensils clean during cooking.

Hope that helps??

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Cheers for the advice peeps, I think the frozen/cool bag option will work well suplemented with some tinned goodys, Im gonna be able to drive there now I think so weight really isnt an issue!!

Tried bannock today for the first time at home on the old swedish army trangia, and tbh it wasnt all that bad for a first attempt, although I could really do with getting a new burner with a simmer ring as I dont think yu can buy 1 for the army version.

Is it the norm to bring a few tinnies down or is it a bot frowned upon cause its a scout site?

Its gonna be a good night and will be good to put some faces to names.

Any idea how many are going?

atb
Steve

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
If you are coming, could you please add yourname to the list below?

Thank you.

bushcrafters+of+cambridge+logo+smallest.jpg
MEET LIST: 2011 October 8th/9th

Attending:
  • WolfCrafter (Steve)
  • eel28 (Lee) - Saturday only again :(

Maybe:

Cant Make It This Time:

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Full+small+final.jpg
LITTLE ABINGTON​
Next Meet: APRIL: Sat 16th (10:00am) - 17th (4:30pm)
JUNE: Sat 11th - 12th
AUGUST: Sat 20th - 21st
OCTOBER: 8th - 9th
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fees: Site Fees Per Person = £3 Day Visit / £6 Sat-Sun
Payment on arrival. If you haven't been before, someone will be able to point you in my direction.

This is, in no way, a bushcraft course and it's for you to make of it what you will.​

Bushcraft Etiquette (Link to a Google document that was compiled from a BCUK thread.)

General Outdoor Cutting Tool Safety (Link to a Google document that was compiled from a BCUK thread.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​
:drive:How to Find the Site! - (Link to a Google document with directions and map links!)

:deal:Rules & Declaration for Little Abington (Link to a Google document. To be read before signing the Signed Declaration Form.)
:deal:Your Details & Signed Form for Little Abington - (Link to a Google document. To be printed off, filled in and brought with you to your first meet!)

Simply put.. a Signed Form.. I.D.. and Money for the day(s).

Please PM WolfCrafter for a list of site rules and a disclamer form if the above links do not work!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
bushcrafters+of+cambridge+logo+smallest.jpg

Welcome to The Bushcrafters Of Cambridgeshire Thread, If you're thinking about delving into bushcraft with us, why not take a peek at WolfCrafters introductory YouTube Video and Blog Photos page..
YouTube Video Introduction of Bushcrafters Of Cambridgeshire
WolfCrafter Blog Photos of Bush Meets
Little Abington Scout Camp main website

group.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Thought I'd repost this thread for the benefit of all the newbies wishing to attend, hopefully it will answer most of your questions :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
If you are coming, could you please add yourname to the list below?

Thank you.

Attending:
•WolfCrafter (Steve)
•eel28 (Lee) - Saturday only again
Jacko1066 (another Steve) - overnight

Maybe:

Cant Make It This Time:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
f you are coming, could you please add yourname to the list below?

Thank you.

Attending:
•WolfCrafter (Steve)
•eel28 (Lee) - Saturday only again
Jacko1066 (another Steve) - overnight
Whittler Kev (err..Kev) Saturday

Maybe:

Cant Make It This Time:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
this thread seems awfully quiet peeps, anyone else other than me staying overnight at the meet? I mean I do like my own company but not that much lol.

I must admit I am rather looking forward to it!!! if nothing else a night camping away from the stress of everyday life and living with 5 women (thats right 5 WOMEN) is very welcomed indeed!!! The only downside, I hope I dont get on all your nerves asking questions lol.

As its my first time, is there any traditions like brnging biscuits or cakes I should be made aware of??
Is there any membership forms or anything I need to bring?? - just read a previous post, I shall bring I.D and the printed off and filled in form!!!!

Once again sorry for all the questions

Atb
Steve

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
If you are coming, could you please add your name to the list below?

Thank you.

Attending:

• WolfCrafter (Steve)
  • eel28 (Lee) - Saturday only again
  • Jacko1066 (another Steve) - overnight
  • Whittler Kev (err..Kev) Saturday
  • Crowe

Maybe:

Cant Make It This Time:

Sorry for the quietness Jacko, just moved house a few weeks ago, and only just hooked up the BT line! Cheers again Lee for keeping it alive!

I'm camping overnight so you wont be alone, I'm probably hammocking this meet!
As regards to freshness, maybe cook a good raw ingredient menu for Saturday, and have some pasta or similar packaged food for Sunday, I've always found though that most food keeps well for Sunday too (must have my cooked Sunday breakfast!) The main thing is you will probably want to cook and eat all the fresh stuff the weekend, as I've found after that, some stuff is too far gone by the time you get back home to put it back in the fridge!

Hi, Im hoping to be available for the my first meet on the 8th october, as long as Im off work, hopefully I can get hold of whittler Kev to car share!! really looking forward to it chaps!!
Be good to see you Jacko!!

Have been looking for ages for a group of fellow bushies that meet in cambridgeshire. I have been looking/asking for use in little local woods but to no joy!let me know if you can help.....
Bryan (toadstool carver)
Your more than welcome toadstool at the Cambridge meets! Its a great site for chilling and honing your Bushcrafting skills!

PPPS do you have any advance notification of dates so that they can be booked into diaries?
Elines, we don't have any meets booked as yet for 2012, we will keep you posted closer to Christmas, as this will probably be the last meet of this year!

After missing the last few i WILL be coming out to play at this one! Looking forward to meeting you all. Tony
Be great to see you Tony at this meet, looks like the weather should hold till the weekend!

Im in, Im also a complete NOOB so please be gentle lol. any idea of the nearest public transport links?
Cant wait!!!
The nearest train station is Whittlesford Parkway! I'm not sure about buses running from there, The hike is about 3.5km East. Its best to bring food along, as the only shop I know of is the BP/M&S garage stop en-route from the station! That's expensive!! Its what ever you fancy really, there is no preference. If you dont have your own cooking system, its whatever you can cook on an open fire really! We have all managed a lot of different things at past meets. Soups, stews, paellas, steaks, Pizza, breads, jackets etc etc!
Im staying over night Jacko!! :D

Is there any membership forms or anything I need to bring?? - just read a previous post, I shall bring I.D and the printed off and filled in form!!!!
Just bring some ID along Jacko, drivers licence or simular!! Plus subs money!

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Sorry for the quietness Jacko, just moved house a few weeks ago, and only just hooked up the BT line! Cheers again Lee for keeping it alive!

No probs Steve, I know how it can be, having assisted in a couple of family moves over the past month or so! Hope you are settling in ok? Looking forward to Saturday :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi guys long time no see! I Just moved into the area.
Do you mind if I come along to the overnight meet?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE