Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I think my next purchase will be some Dyneema cord which I want to use for the fire drill and at some point a pole lathe. It has good abrasion resistance apparently.
Another pole lathe convert Woohoo.
Just got back from the Norwich meet leaving the others going to kip overnight. Brill site. Loads of wood to burn and they're stews are brill.
Been playing with the new Carvin' Jack. Absolutely bloo*y brilliant. carved the bowl on a spoon in what seemed like seconds. Well worth the money.
Whens the next Cambs meet dudes. I may well be playing in the local woods sometime this week. I'll keep you posted

Apr 2, 2009
uk
I think the pole lathe and the shaving horse might be a project for my folks' back garden. They have more space!! I'd probably go for a bungee type lathe strung between two small trees.

Found a place to hang a hammock Sat night in some woodland outside St. Ives and didn't think I'd need any sleeping bag or blanket. Wrong. I was forced to bug out at 1:30am due to cold. Didn't expect that on a summers night! According to the local weather station it was about 16'C at 1:30 and got to 14'C. I wanted to travel light and I didn't get a chance to find any leaves to pad the hammock out with. Still, it was nice to walk back in the moonlight with a cup of hot coffee.

Is it possible to upload pictures to this forum or do pictures have to be URL links?

Apr 2, 2009
uk
Been playing with the new Carvin' Jack. Absolutely bloo*y brilliant. carved the bowl on a spoon in what seemed like seconds. Well worth the money.

Just Googled a Carvin' Jack. That's an awesome piece of kit! Not cheap though at £100 a pop. Is there a good place to get them from?

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I'd probably go for a bungee type lathe strung between two small trees
I bought a treadle lathe cheap on EvilBay

Is it possible to upload pictures to this forum or do pictures have to be URL links?
Only way I've been able to do it was by linking them from Photo bucket

Just Googled a Carvin' Jack. That's an awesome piece of kit! Not cheap though at £100 a pop. Is there a good place to get them from?
I put an ad up on the classified section. There's a couple of threads on here if you use the forum search engine which suggest buying a left hander if your right handed.
I got one off a member here cheaper than new (which it was) and like most that have bought one, I won't be selling it.

Last edited:

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Hi folks as wolfcrafter said i am not about much have been busy getting engaged and (more importantly) am away for the next 2 weeks traditionally making a longship.

:)

http://www.osebergvikingskip.no/eng/
If you are interested.

Im relying on people to suggest dates but unless i have missed them non have come up - so come n guys i dont mind booking etc or at least helping even if im not there but lets have some suggestions ?

Personally i am not free on weekends utill the 7th Aug so as i say that doesnt need to be a suggestion its just a starting point. Im sure most of us might be free before then.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Personally, I have nothing at all 'booked in' apart from August Bank Holiday weekend, so sould be free whenever :) well unless the Mrs has other ideas before hand! lol

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Finally ordered meself a hammock! When arrives shall try out in a nice spot i found in the old golf course.... Can't wait.

Apr 2, 2009
uk
Spent a lovely night out last night in a hammock. Found a first class pitch between two Oak trees and was sung to sleep by a presumably baby Tawny owl and some bat ultrasonics.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Got my DD hammock now, gonna try it out at weekend. Just need to figure it all out!! Looking forward to it, take my hobo stove and dine out. :)

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Guess what?:) I've just been for a ride on the Harley looking for wooded areas . Went to the local off road motocross stunt and race track and asked who owned the woods further up the road to WashBrooke Farm in Doddington (just passed the hospital). It transpired that the old feller that owns the tracks owns the woods :35:. He can't see a problem with overnight camping there as the local reenactment society :borgsmile: camp out there :camping: and have their open fire cooking :campfire: going with his blessing (in containers).
I've got to go and see him in a fortnight when he's less busy but looks promising .
;)
ccords etc TL 39016 91163 52.500679,0.046542

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Now that does sound promising, Kev. My inlaws live in Doddington so I have an idea where it is too. Could be good. Fires in containers not much of an issue, many of us have hobo stoves.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Sounding good kev, nice detectorising!
Re-inactors tend to be a decent bunch to should we happen to be there at the same time, probably the only other group likely to have quite so many shineys.. lol

Hi Guys, Sorry been away last two weeks. Geeze a lot of action on here in that short time!

So hows everyone for the 31st July, 1 August for Little Abington?
Whats the lowdown Tim on dates availible for this date? If things are busy you end, PM me the guys details and ill get things booked and rolling!! (is the boat finished.. does Norfolk have to keep an eye open for pillaging vikings along the coast yet??) :p

Replys!!
Hi WolfCrafter, interesting to see your article on the hammock underquilt.

Cheers Whittler, .. been meaning to try the leaf litter stuffing too!

Do you find that the wooden sticks you need to keep the mosquito net in shape can slide around too easily? I found putting the end of the stick partway through the end loops keeps everything in place. Better if the ends of the stick are sharply squared off as they grip the webbing.

Def will try this! All small tips help.. Ive done loads of mods to my hammock, we'll swap ideas when we finally cross paths aye!

Would love to see that handle, got some pear to make a handle for my knife - when I get round to cutting it out!

Uploaded to blog!!.. check it!!
Mora Knife Pear Handle

WashBrooke Farm in Doddington
Nice one kev, looks very promising.. any fees involved?.. when you out for a brew next?

Norfolk and Norwich has another weekender coming up on Mon/Tues - 19th /20th July
I'll see if I can make popping along for the afternoon as im working nights!

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
If you need the mobile number PM me
I'm away the first weekend of August (BUTLITS!)

By the way I didn't get the teaching job today. It went to someone that is already a deputy head of one of their units and his contract has expired due to the recession but came a close second as apparently the head and the kids wanted me, but her boss appointed him!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE