Buying the forestry back

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 24, 2012
Scottish borders
I noticed a number of older posts relating to a group buy up of forestry land, after getting permission off the moderators, i would like to draw the attention of any interested members to our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/2012collectiveLtd, we would love to have the involvement of like minded people and ultimate a woodland eco-community owned buy a group of shareholders would be run by the shareholders. It would benefit this group greatly (in my opinion) to have a major shareholding come from bushcrafters as well homesteaders, shares are available from as little as £100, to homestead significant more is required.
Even just give us feed back and encouragement, and hopefully one day I will be posting an open invitation to passing bushcraft nuts, this is not a pipe dream I know other groups who have done it, we seen a 33 Hectare plot this week for £110,000 in Dumfires & Galloway.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm curious; unless you have planning permission you can't erect permanent buildings or live full time in the forest anyway.
We have a legal right of responsible access in Scotland, so we can visit the woodlands when we choose.

You're hoping for up to 1100 people with £100 each to spare to have a share ?............that's a heck of a lot of people all hoping to access the finite resources of 33 hectares. Or do you get to live there and other folks only allowed to visit ?

There's no way woodlands sustain families and leisure and resources for crafts unless there's a *lot* of acerage, and the mix of species is right, *and* people are prepared to do the work and restrain themselves re constant depredation.

Not trying to be down on your project, just genuinely curious about how you're going to manage the feasibility of the numbers of people, all with plans and intentions for 'their' woodlands.

cheers,
Toddy

Jun 24, 2012
Scottish borders
Hi Toddy, Well we can all count if 110 people put in £1000, sorry that was uncalled for, to answer your points yes a person owning one share doesn't really get much you don't have a right to except to the satisfaction of knowing they helped create it, 10 shares to be fully voting member and the permanent settlers would put in a lot more than just money and a lot more money too.
We have full facts and figures available to investors and some of the investors are looking at it in purely economic terms and the numbers stack up, but then you might not understand exactly what we are doing, or how much food a 1/2 hectare of forest garden can produce or that revenue for timber is sales is tax free or that if you are make the majority of your income from a piece of land you have the right to live on it, we are even discussing a joint purchase with people like wild life or woodland trusts and would be helping councils fulfill their agenda 21 commitments.
In short it is a very complicated set up involving a limited company but then again it would be if you are seriously interested then I can provide full plans and costings, I know it sounds a bit of a pipe dream but I know of groups who have done it, infact I've been involved with some.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hi Toddy, Well we can all count if 110 people put in £1000, sorry that was uncalled for, to answer your points yes a person owning one share doesn't really get much you don't have a right to except to the satisfaction of knowing they helped create it, 10 shares to be fully voting member and the permanent settlers would put in a lot more than just money and a lot more money too.
We have full facts and figures available to investors and some of the investors are looking at it in purely economic terms and the numbers stack up, but then you might not understand exactly what we are doing, or how much food a 1/2 hectare of forest garden can produce or that revenue for timber is sales is tax free or that if you are make the majority of your income from a piece of land you have the right to live on it, we are even discussing a joint purchase with people like wild life or woodland trusts and would be helping councils fulfill their agenda 21 commitments.
In short it is a very complicated set up involving a limited company but then again it would be if you are seriously interested then I can provide full plans and costings, I know it sounds a bit of a pipe dream but I know of groups who have done it, infact I've been involved with some.

Sounds like either an ill conceived plan or a all out scam to me. your reply is that of someone who wants to hide the facts behind a veil of "look you just couldn't understand" type comments, I'm OUT! And I do not wish you any luck with your plan.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
OOOHHH! Resist the temptation Ivan , i see big debate ,can of worms etc etc , just one point new member no history , pipe dream, money , sorry to be negative , recipe for disaster .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a lot of friends who live 'eco' lifestyles. I have friends whose only resouce and livelihood is the woodlands they live and work in.
I have friends who live totally off the grid with 'no' social connections other than a network of family and friends; we know where to find them simply by the season and where they were last and who saw them.

I'm also far from stupid, and am surprisingly good at numbers.........and I teach children about the responsible rights of access and the history of our nation and it's people, and how we got to the position we're in now :) and the hopes we have for their future :D

I am also associated with the assorted reforesting groups, the woodland trusts such as Wooplaw, and folks like the Galgael and the people who live and work in communes like Talamh
I have also spent a lot of time with the realilties of ethnobotany.............and the history of the land and how many people it can support.

I am not against or negative about group buys or social living or community woodlands.

What I am agin is those who seek to establish themselves using others resources to do so, and I admit to being dubious about those who use public funding to acquire land supposedly for community, but really funding themselves with that and ongoing social security payments.

Not claiming you are, you understand ........or did I not make myself clear enough ?............but the onus is on you to make yourself and your intentions beyond transparent, not on us to accept your claims at face (or is that Facebook ? ) value.

Frankly your response to me on this forum, does not lend itself to either trust, or good natured communication.
Both are crucial for the success of any social enterprise.

Toddy

Jun 24, 2012
Scottish borders
Hi Southey, sorry you feel like that but may be you should check out our page first and if anyone wants hard facts and figures they are publicly available though I don't think the moderators would be happy with the full project plan being posted on this forum, I am more than happy to discusst any aspect of the project and as a limited company our accounts are in the public domain at companies house.
I will wish you good luck

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Totally OT

Why did you choose your User Name ? It just seems a bit odd for someone trying to set up in another country :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Jun 24, 2012
Scottish borders
Sorry Toddy, didn't mean to say you were stupid and sorry you took it that way, this is a new post on this forum but it is a well planned project based on years of both business experience and living this lifestyle, it can be done purely as a business or with an ideal in mind I hope to be able to open it out to those with less capital available, but will do it with a bank loan otherwise. To try to go into the specifics of what we plan would be prohibitively long for this medium but a full prospectus would be available to potential investors. We were hoping to create some positive interest on this forum and then move it over to our page as this isn't really bushcraft but we feel the group could benefit from a postive bush craft influence.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hi Southey, sorry you feel like that but may be you should check out our page first and if anyone wants hard facts and figures they are publicly available though I don't think the moderators would be happy with the full project plan being posted on this forum, I am more than happy to discusst any aspect of the project and as a limited company our accounts are in the public domain at companies house.

I have looked at your face book page and your wed site linked to from the page, can you direct me to any relevant info on either the FB page or your website,

Here is a link to your site for ease,

the2012collective.webs.com

Jun 24, 2012
Scottish borders
Its a quote from Brave heart, and I like the character who says it I am called Stephen and grew up in Ireland, I also use his picture as a profile photo for facebook it was a family joke about my plans to help buy Scotland back of the English, sorry government no offense meant to the English I was born in Yorkshire so I'm almost English, the plans to buy land are serious but I'm not much rather have a laugh whilst doing it.

Jun 24, 2012
Scottish borders
We are not connected to the groups you mentioned but it is not an original idea it has been done before and will be done again, we just another group doing it, the website someone posted a link to is still a work in progress, sorry I'm more of a woods man than a web designer, any web designers out there willing to work for the cause please feel free to contact us.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
If you are an honest person then good luck with your plans, however if this is some form of scam (and we have seen a few of one type and another) then may your future be an interesting one.

Anyone who has a yearn to live 'of the grid' to simply go somewhere and live a simpler (albeit harder) life then there plenty of places already out there, you may have to travel around a bit at first, learn some other languages and gain some experience and skills, however you should not necessarily expect to part with any money.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!

Could you provide us with your company number or name so we can at least confirm you are indeed registered at companies house chap?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE