Buying land in the UK for growing veg etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

DarkHorse

This is a little off topic but just wondering if anyone has advice.

I'd like to buy a small plot of land with permission to grow my own food on it. Just a place for growing and relaxing that I can call my own.

I have no idea about where to look to buy and what taxes I would have to pay, so any advice much appreciated. :)

I've been googling but its a bit of a minefield until you know where to look :p

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
local council allotments are like gold now but sound like what ur looking for and for litterally pennies,..

mate of mine has two together and pays £14 a year for both,...

Stu

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
This is a little off topic but just wondering if anyone has advice.

I'd like to buy a small plot of land with permission to grow my own food on it. Just a place for growing and relaxing that I can call my own.

I have no idea about where to look to buy and what taxes I would have to pay, so any advice much appreciated. :)

I've been googling but its a bit of a minefield until you know where to look :p

http://www.landshare.net/

Have you tried this???

D

DarkHorse

Well TBH I want to do a little more than that

I'd like alittle stealth shelter insome bushes and a place to camp out etc but have to keep that quiet else they won't let me have the land.

The gov is so totlaitarian now that I'd be worried about mentioning even my desire to do other things with it. I spose I'm safe to tell you guys though :)

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
There will probably be a number of land agents in your area that have land for sale - I'm up north so cant offer any specific advice on who. I believe that http://www.johnclegg.co.uk/ are nationwide and may have something of interest.

The bigest problem you will have are small plots tend to appeal to people as pony paddocks and because of that tend to attract a premium, particularly if the land has road frontage and water. I'm in North Yorkshire and in the local paper a land agent is advertising 0.31 acres at £20k without anything like planning permission - which quite frankly is massively overpriced based on expected land values (but it's worth what someone will pay for it - and no doubt someone will buy it!)

I have bought 3 fields and a wood and the only fees have been the soliciotor's fees, any searches and a small amount of stamp duty - overall each transaction has cost c £500 each, plus obviously the cost of the land.

Land prices vary by region, once you identify local land agents, it's worth checking with them.

Sorry this isnt very specific but hope it offers some help.

D

DarkHorse

I have 10k savings that I would like to put into this, so I'm pretty serious about it :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well TBH I want to do a little more than that

I'd like alittle stealth shelter insome bushes and a place to camp out etc but have to keep that quiet else they won't let me have the land.

The gov is so totlaitarian now that I'd be worried about mentioning even my desire to do other things with it. I spose I'm safe to tell you guys though :)

Well , I don't know what sort of money you are considering but you could look here;-

http://www.uklanddirectory.org.uk/custlandsearchresults.asp ( not much in Dorset at the moment )

You are going to have think of the financial feasibilty ( not telling you how to suck eggs ) but rather than paying £10k+ for a small parcel of land you may aswell approach a Landowner in your area and enquire about renting it.

D

DarkHorse

OK thanks Bazza. I will try and find out who the best agents are round here and let them know what I'm looking for then.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've just seen your last post. Remember as well as the Upfront price you will also have to pay for the Solicitors and Deed fees ( Land Reg ) your 10k may quickly become 8k.
Sorry.

D

DarkHorse

Well , I don't know what sort of money you are considering but you could look here;-
You are going to have think of the financial feasibilty ( not telling you how to suck eggs ) but rather than paying £10k+ for a small parcel of land you may aswell approach a Landowner in your area and enquire about renting it.

I think I'd prefer to own it and I can sell in the future if need be. Even if I had to wait a few years to sell it, its no problem.

Also I'm making money in a way cuz of all the money I would save on food. Its even possible the land would be worth more when I come to sell it.

D

DarkHorse

I've just seen your last post. Remember as well as the Upfront price you will also have to pay for the Solicitors and Deed fees ( Land Reg ) your 10k may quickly become 8k.
Sorry.

Yeah no doubt. Its OK I will factor that in to the project ;-) I know those pesky solicitors are expensive but a nessacery expense :p

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Round here, good fields go for £7 - thousand per acre. However, a 6 acre plot went 75k, and a neighbour who wants one acre of it (adjoining his house) expects to have to pay £20k.

Best bet is to approach a farmer and buy a corner of a field. You can be flexible where it is and they can make a premium.

Bear in mind that such places are very unlikely to have any water laid on which could be a problem for your veg growing plans.

Red

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I'd like to buy a small plot of land with permission to grow my own food on it. Just a place for growing and relaxing that I can call my own..."

Have you grown your own food before? If not why not look for a community somewhere where you could get a bit of experience? I know there are some in the UK, but there are many more on the continent.

Here is one in Germany.

:)

D

DarkHorse

I havn't no but I'm keen to learn. My family are all green fingered so they will teach me a lot :D

Yeah I may have to get creative with water, I could capture rain water, buy a water butt and build something to catch the rain on top but thats all the fun of the project :)

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE