Bushmoot virgin, questions....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
Owww Dooo

I have just booked for the core days, for my first visit to the Bushmoot.
And have a couple of questions that the FAQ does not cover. So hopefully someone can enlighten me.
(If this is the wrong place to ask, let me know.)

Is there wood to be had on site, for cooking fires/making the odd thing? Can we harvest it, do we have to buy it, or do we need to bring it with us?

Is there any possibility that the woodland camping area will fill up or become unavailable for any reason? (As I had this happen at another event, leaving me trying to camp in another area with totally unsuitable kit.)

Thanks in anticipation...
Jules

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Jules. We discourage random chopping down of the trees. There is usually plenty of fire wood already on the ground for people to use. Always nice of you can bring some along with you to reduce the impact. The entire site is woodland camping so there shouldn't be a problem with your camping set up.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Is there wood to be had on site, for cooking fires/making the odd thing? Can we harvest it, do we have to buy it, or do we need to bring it with us?

Is there any possibility that the woodland camping area will fill up or become unavailable for any reason? (As I had this happen at another event, leaving me trying to camp in another area with totally unsuitable kit.)

As Wayne said there's usually enough to go around everyone so long as you're sensible about the size of fire you have. Certainly bring some in for your first night camp is a sensible move as it saves you having to rush around looking for it whilst pitching up as well.

As for the wooded area filling up I've yet to see that happen as there's about 50 or so acres of wooded areas to camp in. You might have to carve your way in to some of it but you should be fine :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This has been well answered by Wayne and Steve (thanks guys) I'd say it's worth bringing a hand saw and if you're proficient with an axe that's fine too, the saw though is key to having your fire a good size. There's plenty of hanging wood and wood that's caught up low down as well as trees that are over etc.

You'll hear chainsaws now and then but that's generally preparation for the bigger fires we have when we meet together in the evenings. we're not allowed to take felled trees from the site which are sometimes piled about the place, I think the aim is to have everything cleared early this year so the estate can sell it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE