Help identify 2 functions on an older pocket knife please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnretired

Oct 6, 2022
Chichester
Hello Members,

May I ask for some assistance to satisfy my lack of knowledge as to what the function is of 2 pull out tools on a pocket knife i have recently been given? May I also request the moderator if i have inadvertently posted this in the incorrect forum please move to one more suitable.

I have attached some pics of the two tools, a longish striaght arm with a hole at it s end and the other which seems to have a rotating cutter at it s end. I have not seen either before and hopefully a gap in my knowledge will be filled if a member is able to enlighten me.

In anticipation and probably when informed what they are for it will all be so obvious i should of figured it out myself! Thanks in advance for any replies.

regards john
DSCN6769.JPG
DSCN6768.JPG

Reactions: Kron

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
It looks like a sommelier 's (wine waiter's) knife to me, so I'd hazard a guess that the rotating cutter is to remove the capsule and the long eyed gadget is to remove wired champagne corks.
I'd feel more confident in my guess if it hadn't been made in Sheffield! Like you, I hope someone can solve this intriguing mystery

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Was one similar on Gunstar awhile back, but their website is offline atm. Here's the description.

C1920’s English George Butler & Co Sheffield ‘Key’ Trademark Shooter’s / Sportsman’s Multi Blade / Tool Folding Knife With Shotgun Cartridge Extractor Tool ‘16’ & ‘12’ Bores & German Silver Scales.

The English cutlers George Butler & Co Sheffield are recorded C1810-1952. Located at their Trinity Works, the Company used a ‘key’ trademark (see pages 169-170 of the Sheffield knife Book by Tweedale). This is a nice original, British Sheffield made Shooter’s / Sportsman’s Folding Knife. It has a 2” single edged blade, a 3” single edged blade (both very sharp), claw blade, corkscrew, spike, button hook & gimlet. It also has a shotgun cartridge removal tool marked ‘16’ and ‘12’ (shotgun cartridge bores). Some of the blades are stamped by the Sheffield manufacturer 'Butler & Co' with 'key' trademark and ‘Sheffield Art England’. All have staining consistent with age but no damage. It has German Silver scales and lanyard shackle. When closed the knife measures 4 ¾” length (including shackle).

johnretired

Oct 6, 2022
Chichester
Thank you all above for the replies all of which I have noted, the shotgun cartridge removal tool description appears to be correct, I have had a further look online and have seen several similar by this manufacturer sporting that implement, unfortunately none I have found show the second implement the long rectangle section with the hole at the end. I have thought it may be of all things something to do with separating thread or line, is it possible this may be a fish hook disgorger? The knife perhaps having initially being ordered and purchased by a sporting person this may solve the riddle. Again I thank all the members above for their previous replies, I am hoping a member out there can confirm that 'niggling' second implement with the eye with some certainty. Thank You all for your advice.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Is it a different style of button hook?

Put the blade through the button whole, snag the button's thread in the hole, and pull through?

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
The twisty thing is a shotgun shell extractor for 16 and 12 g shells while the thing with the hole is an old fashioned disgorger for removing fishing hooks from a fishes mouth.

johnretired

Oct 6, 2022
Chichester
The twisty thing is a shotgun shell extractor for 16 and 12 g shells while the thing with the hole is an old fashioned disgorger for removing fishing hooks from a fishes mouth.
Thank you all for taking the time to advise what these individual pocket knife implements are. It seems to me this is indeed a 'sports-persons' pocket knife re having both shooting and fishing implements for the owner to use. During my subsequent search on the 'net' there seem to be several options of individual implements available for this model, I am thinking these pocket knives may even have been 'especially' requested by a buyer as to which implements were fitted. That may be a 'shot in the dark' but perhaps these models were slightly bespoke to some degree. I can only repeat my thanks to all replies as I have learnt yet again how helpful people can be when asked for assistance. Thank You All regards john

Reactions: Toddy and Ystranc

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Thank you all for taking the time to advise what these individual pocket knife implements are. It seems to me this is indeed a 'sports-persons' pocket knife re having both shooting and fishing implements for the owner to use. During my subsequent search on the 'net' there seem to be several options of individual implements available for this model, I am thinking these pocket knives may even have been 'especially' requested by a buyer as to which implements were fitted. That may be a 'shot in the dark' but perhaps these models were slightly bespoke to some degree. I can only repeat my thanks to all replies as I have learnt yet again how helpful people can be when asked for assistance. Thank You All regards john
They were quite often produced as promotional gifts. Spratt's pet food being a point in case. These knives were given to master of hounds or game keepers who kept a lot of hounds and were responsible for buying dog food. I have a silver scaled George Wostenholme which was a promotional gift for Calendars BI…definitely not the kind of gift you’d get in a Christmas cracker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE