Bushcrafting Wives/girlfriends/partners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
xylaria said:
I am not directly saying it is a gender thing. It is a kit marketed for women is normally terrible thing, which in turn can put some women off. It obviously doesn't put every woman off as Mrs woodsmoke proves. Torjusgs joke(?) about checking to see if your missus is female I found really offensive. No human being should have their gender questioned just because they refuse to comply with narrow mind steriotype of what they should be, I am very glad that there is people like Axecatcher that shove those steriotypes back up where they came from. In fact big chunks of this thread have got me a bit annoyed.

IF YOU WANT TO INCLUDE YOUR WIVES AND GIRLFRIENDS IN BUSHCRAFT YOU NEED TO ADDRESS THE TYPES OF BEHAVIOUR THAT MAKES THEM FEEL EXCLUDED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

This not a issue of gender it is an issue of inclusion. It is not ok to tell racist jokes because it makes people feel excluded so why is ok to tell sexist jokes.
Xylaria,

I hope not my contibutions?

I took torus' joke as a (humorous) dig at me (for showing off about my wonderful GF - which I do - all the time) not BB (few would be foolish enough to do that)!

He followed up with "you are a lucky guy". I am! I have to say that those members of this forum that have ever been out with us (LS, Mod-User, Spikey Da Pikey, GreyWolf, Bushwacker Bob et al) have never behaved in any way other than as complete gentlemen.

I do take your point however, if you want your partner to participate in outings, their needs are as important as your own. Fortunately in my case, I don't need to "encourage" BB, she enjoys being out the same as I do - I wouldn't have it any other way!

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
This is the problem I have with my wife, I know whats yours is mine mine is yours and all that, but she has run a second set of fresh batteries down on my G2 surefire and cannot see a problem with leaving it on for hours at a time! I asked her if she wanted a decent torch for christmas and she said no. After going ape the other night about my G2, I see she is now using the third CMG Infinity torch I bought off eBay, one was for me, one for my dad and the third was for her which she said she didn't need. I said I'll leave it there for when you ruin my kit, then you can use it!

I think I could be on the verge of finding a way to convert her here, she has already took the Leatherman Wave as her own, and I asked her if she wants a cheap knife, I'll get her an Opi 7 or similar. She said no at the time but I reckon once I move back to UK and secure all of my kit from prying fingers, she may come round and want one of her own. She won't be using my UKPK, she'd have to pry it from my cold dead hand first!

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Thanks Red for bring thread back on track with that last post.

I've booked a posh camping trip for the family (our new little one with be 6 months old by then) to a comfortable camping place in Wales mid year, we'll be staying in a Yurt, which is as posh as you can get in my book, however it does have a wood stove, firepit, access to a beach etc so it should be brilliant. Mrs Redcollective is quite enthusiastic about it - so there'll be a chance to introduce a few bushcrafty things, and perhaps embarrass myself demostrating things I only half know/tried once years ago etc and perhaps burning/cutting off bits of myself in the process. I'm sure she'll get a laugh out of it.

Stu

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That does sound fantastic! I showed the missus the two other links from a while back, one was the range of farms where you stay in a simple canvas sided hut with paraffin lamps and cook on a wood burning cooker, can look after the animals on the farm and all sorts of other things. Not interested at all!

Then I showed her a place which I seem to recall was in Cornwall where motorised vehicles are prohibited and everyone lives in large canvas teepees with a fire pit, furs to sleep on and chests to stow your kit in. Looked awesome, she refused straight away!! No sense of adventure, but as the kids get older I will try and change that.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
The place I've booked is http://www.trellyn.co.uk/

It's not cheap. But it is secluded, and the yurt looks spectacular. It's the closest thing to a hotel in a woodland setting I've found yet.

Theres camping pitches too - but only 4!

The folks who run it seem pretty casual and friendly. Crikey I sound like I'm on commission.

But, I have a plan - if we enjoy it, then there's no reason I might put some hard earned into a lavuu and book just a campsite the next time. I don't think Mrs Redcollective is ready for a latrine just yet.

Stuart

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yurts are the thing if you want to live in style.

My frail elderly friend spent 6 months in one in mongolia

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
British Red said:
"Ventile garbed bushcrafter, well insulated, own knife and hammock seeks bushbabe with own Lee Reeves for try-stick, pothangers & maybe more. Send photo (of axe)"

Red ;)

My Mother-in-law is a battle axe, will she do you Red?

Sorry, can't send picture as I value my camera too much.

:)

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
British Red said:
Hmm interesting.

A few of you have met Bushbaby.

She will:
Camp out (rough)
Cr** in the woods
Carry the same load as me
Shoot
Hawk
Fish
Dress and cook what she hunts
Make the best campfire food ever (really - ask the guys)

She wont
Get involved in gear conversations ("I have a pait of boots - they work "<shrugs>)
Do "hardcore" where theres a better alternative
Do things in a harder way than seems logical (lighters are fine...carry a spare)

She loves being out and about, but shes not into "talking about it".

I think I'm unbelievably lucky tbh

Red

you sure were not married to the same woman, certainly sounds like it, :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
British Red said:
A few of you have met Bushbaby.
She will:
Camp out (rough)
Cr** in the woods
Carry the same load as me
Shoot
Hawk
Fish
Dress and cook what she hunts
Make the best campfire food ever (really - ask the guys)
Red
Mrs Zodaik will:
camp in a 6 man dome (on an airbed)
Cr** in porcelain in a hut
Carry her bag to the car
Shoot Chavs
Shoot Hawkers
Shoot Fish (she bl##dy hated Marrilion)
Dress and Cook for Dinner
Make teh best food on a twin burner gas cooker ever (reall ask my exporer unit about last years summer camp)

But hey last Christmas a load of little plastic bottles, a new Balaclava and a Trangia so I can forgive her anything :D

PS She left the PC on a page for kelly kettle the other night and its my Birthday soon, so fingers crossed :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE