Li'l Cumbrian's First trip to Dalton's Cave.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
After yesterday's torrential rain, it was a pleasure to wake up this morning to bright sunshine and a nip in the air, but the promise of warmer temperatures later. Mrs Cumbrian and me wanted to head out somewhere with the boy that could keep a four year old interested, but not exhaust his eight - months pregnant mother.
We decided on a visit to Dalton's Cave, a man made ( slate quarry ) cave in Borrowdale, just south of Grange. It's named after Millican Dalton, the self styled "Professor of Adventure", who inhabited it early last century. He made his living by guiding walkers and climbers, and taking people out on Derwentwater on his raft. His story would be of interest to many bushcrafters, so he could be worth Googling. I've got a book about him but it's on the loft, and if I go there I may not be seen for a few days.

However, to commence our journey.

We parked up at the car park next to Grange campsite. As soon as Li'l Cumbrian was in his salopettes and wellies he headed for the beck:

IMGP3878.jpg

Dragging him away, we followed the path by the Upper Derwent.
Looking south:

IMGP3880.jpg

And north:

IMGP3881.jpg

The boy's still convinced that he'll find tadpoles in October, despite the fact that the tadpoles that he had in a bucket in the garden turned into frogs and scarpered months ago:

IMGP3882.jpg

When we were able to get him away from the river, we walked through Low How Woods towards the cave, with many stops to explore runnels, becks and puddles, not to mention the picking up sticks, climbing trees and falling over the biggest, most obvious rocks on the path.

IMGP3931.jpg

Finally, we approached Dalton's Cave:

IMGP3888.jpg

We sent our little explorer ahead, to make sure that there were no bears.

IMGP3890.jpg

As long as you're prepared to sleep on rocks, Dalton's Cave can accomodate large groups. Experience in arranging rocks for your bed is useful though.
Looking out:

IMGP3891.jpg

The water supply. I've known this to lessen considerably, but never stop:

IMGP3902.jpg

Just below and to the south of the cave, the power of tree roots is in evidence:

IMGP3920.jpg

As we were going home, the boy was still full of beans and battering things witha stick:

IMGP3927.jpg

The view up to Goat Crag:

IMGP3930.jpg

And trying his best to immerse himself in water:

IMGP3937.jpg

Hope that you enjoy the blogg as much as we enjoyed the walk,

Cheers, Michael.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers for sharing Michael, looks like you had a good day out.

Know the spot well although I haven`t been for ages.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Have camped in that cave overnight years ago.

Stunk of urine and was quite a lot colder than it was the next night (Up Langstrath valley) in a tent.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Thats great
I thought the river would have been higher the Ehen was when I went to Ennerdale yesterday in the rain. I should have headed out today instead of knifemaking.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Thats great
I thought the river would have been higher the Ehen was when I went to Ennerdale yesterday in the rain. I should have headed out today instead of knifemaking.

The Upper Derwent is very like the Liza in that it rises and falls very quickly. Even in late afternoon today though, I'd have been more than happy to paddle it.
Derwentwater was quite high though; Manesty bridge was isolated by the flood waters again.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE