Bushcrafting Wives/girlfriends/partners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Apologies to all the female bushcrafters on here :You_Rock_, but for those of us with someone at home who isn't particularly interested in bushcraft - what are some of the ways you have been able to spark a little interest? Mrs Redcollective is fond of foraging and will happily turn a bucket of blackberries into muffins and jam, however that's about where the interest stops.

Anyone out there managed to convert a bushcraft widow into a bushcrafter? What worked for you?

Stu

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Mine is well on her way to it, she wore a poncho I got her, we were out hiking and the heavens opened, before i got mine on she was kitted, lol, and she admitted it had its uses.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A regular afternoon stroll through your local woods, with a well placed "Do you fancy a cup of tea?" Nice place to sit, whip out your stove, etc.
That'll soon turn to the subject you've already covered - Blackberries: Have some bannock mixture ready to go - just knead in the blackberries for a sweeter taste and cook it while the tea is boiling.
And if you can get the good lady along to a moot, where she'll find solace in the many other long suffering "better halves" and soon will be hooked.

ATB

Ogri the trog

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Have not yet been able to spark any interest from her part. She likes to pick a little berris, walk skies (only short distances) and she also says she would like to learn how to make fire by friction.

She is very, very "townish". There is no way I'll be able to convert her. I don't bother trying anymore either.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
the face says it all!
a gentle walk in the woods getting arrow shafts spruce gum, an afternoon of archery anything but the rough stuff. Having said that she can make fire with a handdrill.
bonniescotland75gy9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm interesting.

A few of you have met Bushbaby.

She will:
Camp out (rough)
Cr** in the woods
Carry the same load as me
Shoot
Hawk
Fish
Dress and cook what she hunts
Make the best campfire food ever (really - ask the guys)

She wont
Get involved in gear conversations ("I have a pait of boots - they work "<shrugs>)
Do "hardcore" where theres a better alternative
Do things in a harder way than seems logical (lighters are fine...carry a spare)

She loves being out and about, but shes not into "talking about it".

I think I'm unbelievably lucky tbh

Red

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
British Red said:
Hmm interesting.

A few of you have met Bushbaby.

She will:
Camp out (rough)
Cr** in the woods
Carry the same load as me
Shoot
Hawk
Fish
Dress and cook what she hunts
Make the best campfire food ever (really - ask the guys)

She wont
Get involved in gear conversations ("I have a pait of boots - they work "<shrugs>)
Do "hardcore" where theres a better alternative
Do things in a harder way than seems logical (lighters are fine...carry a spare)

She loves being out and about, but shes not into "talking about it".

I think I'm unbelievably lucky tbh

Red

Sounds like your she is really a he, Red... I hope you have checked her "kit" out sufficiently to be sure. If it is pointing the same way as yours, you have got it all wrong. :naughty:

Seriously, you are one lucky guy!!! :D

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
torjusg said:
Sounds like your she is really a he, Red... I hope you have checked her "kit" out sufficiently to be sure. If it is pointing the same way as yours, you have got it all wrong. :naughty:

Seriously, you are one lucky guy!!! :D

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
janiepopps said:
She may look a bit happier if you carried your own kit Jerv!! :lmao:

j

I agree....no wonder she's looking miserable; what did you do? pack for the apocalypse? :rolleyes:
Gentle hint; rule of thumb, if it won't go in a day pack for a day out, you don't need most of it ;)

Ogri's idea is a good one and a meetup where you can take the comforts of home along in the car helps too for the non bushbabes.

cheers,
Toddy

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
The title of this thread caught my eye and then was disappointed to see that it was not in the Trading / Swap Shop section.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
My fiance thinks its sad and can't understand why anyone would want to camp outside in the freezing cold when they could be in a nice hotel.

I'm still trying to get her to come camping with me, but no joy yet. Though she will have no choice if we get Glastonbury tickets, muhhahahahahah! :D

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
saffy said:
The title of this thread caught my eye and then was disappointed to see that it was not in the Trading / Swap Shop section.

LOL very very funny, however I'll not let Mrs Redcollective see it lest she take a sudden interest in bushcraft (and in particular sharps) and present me with a tinder pouch made from my very own nethers.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
the problem that i have found with getting partners out is that they kind of like the idea of it bt they dont generaly have the kit needed so when u get into your toastie bag and comfy thermerrest and sleep like a logg they have a restless cold night .
also u spend a lot f time sorting them out .
oh yes and not forgeting helping them find there torch for the upteenth time in an hour (yu know the skill you learn early on about always placing torch where yu know where it is takes time but after enough mistakes yu remember, mind yu im also a strong believer in those little micro lites round neck now).
though i am am happy to help people take first steps out and about , i must admit i like going with a few good friends who know what they are doing are self suficient and know when to jump in and do there bit .
(im running for cover now )
RUN AWAY
LOL

I must admit my good lady being a bit of a biker in he rpast is not too fussed about roughing it now and then however i've made it my mission to kit her out in the best gear I can afford to make sure she is comfortable and therefore enjoys it ...

Okay she'll never have the patience nor the confidence to play with a whisperlite, but she can put a tipi up and do most camp stuff and even do a good try in a kayak and canoe...(All year round).

To be honest It's hard teaching her stuff as she grew up in a city. She doesn't have the knowledge I grew up with. Today for example I took her on a walk to learn her trees...and she is geting there slowly.

~It's all about concessions/compromise...this photo below is on our honey moon on Loch Marree after an overnight camp in glen Etive and drive north. I do things for her that I hate (living in a city and trawling around shopping with her) and she does her best to make me happy too.

20b843ff.jpg

We now have a tipi...and she is more comfortable...I'm lucky to have her :rolleyes:

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Zammo said:
My fiance thinks its sad and can't understand why anyone would want to camp outside in the freezing cold when they could be in a nice hotel.

My girlfriend is of a similar view but she has started to appreciate freshly made hot food and drinks on extended picnics and various bits of kit during a couple of powercuts. Just don't anyone tell her that a Trangia is not Scandinavian fondue cooker ;)

I think by mid Summer, when it's too hot for a duvet anyway, I might even be able to get her to stay out overnight this year with promises of a romantic sunrise over a lake from a hilltop, after all we don't want to walking up a hill in the dark.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've always wanted to take the missus out for a night "roughing it"!!! Oooer!

Seriously though, this summer it may just happen, as I will be in UK and can lumber the kids with the olds for a night!! I'm thinking blankets, thermarests and ponchos. I know a lovely place out by Wharnecliff crags that is just fantastic and if we can go there and stay the night, the morning view would be well worth it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE