Bushcraft....what's in a name ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Etymology

The Oxford English Dictionary definition of bushcraft is "skill in matters pertaining to life in the bush". Before the recent popularity of Ray Mears and his television programmes, the term was also used by the Irish-born Australian writer Richard Graves and Canadian bushcraft teacher Mors Kochanski. The word has been used in its current sense in Australia and South Africa at least as far back as the 1800s. Bush in this sense is probably a direct adoption of the Dutch 'bosch', (now 'bos') originally used in Dutch colonies for woodland and country covered with natural wood, but extended to usage in British colonies, applied to the uncleared or un-farmed districts, still in a state of nature. Later this was used by extension for the country as opposed to the town. In Southern Africa, we get Bushman from the Dutch 'boschjesman' applied by the Dutch colonists to the natives living in the bush. In North America (where there was also considerable colonisation by the Dutch) you have the word 'bushwacker' which is close to the Dutch 'bosch-wachter' (now 'boswachter') meaning 'forest-keeper' or 'forest ranger'. It is now common to hear the term bushcrafter to describe someone interested in bushcraft.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Before the term bushcraft became sexy I use to call it 'messing about in the woods '
I can't stand the word as it's been used ad nauseum but it is all incompassing & at least when it's mentioned, we know more or less what is being discussed.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I tend to just call it camping these days, turns the conversation towards the cul-de-sac quicker rather than the usual response of "Oh so you think you Ray Mears", Bear etc etc.
If going to the hills i call it hiking where as most other things i pass off as wood work, hunting or "wild food".

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I tend to just call it camping these days, turns the conversation towards the cul-de-sac quicker rather than the usual response of "Oh so you think you Ray Mears", Bear etc etc.
If going to the hills i call it hiking where as most other things i pass off as wood work, hunting or "wild food".

^
Is the best reply so far.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
The more I read about it and the more I think about it - the more I realise what I do isn't 'bushcraft'. Sure I like to muck about, light fires, cook food and *try* to id some plants, mostly I just walk around and occasionally sleep outside.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The thing about subjects like this is that no matter what it's called people will always be asking why it's called that and not something else more appropriate, from their perspective...
This is bushcraft uk because when I got into bushcraft I did bushcraft courses, I really liked Mors book 'Northern Bushcraft', Ray was on TV calling it bushcraft etc and I was comfortable with it, it described enough for the people interested in it to know what the term meant and it still does, in the recent woodsmoke gathering in Idaho they discussed the name of it and settled on bsuhcraft because that was a widely recognised term, heck, Mors was there and he called it bushcraft a long time ago.

In the end though I think few people care what we call it when we're out and about, most people understand the name bsuhcraft and many of us use the name Ray Mears to help explain what we do, woodsmanship, messing in the woods, outdoor adventure, getting off the beaten track, having an adventure, forestry, walking, having a picnic, outdoors man, etc etc (although I tend to have an image of an outdoorsman more like a wandering mountain man) whatever you like, in the end what's in a name to describe what individuals do :dunno:

When you have sites like bcuk it identifies a place, just like any other name so it's good to have it established so people can call it home, know where it is etc but ultimately it's just a name and after nearly a decade it's one that's going to stay.

So for me, it's just a name like Bill or Fred, it's a great name as far as I see it for explaining to people and it acts like an umbrella covering a huge amount of subjects

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Actually Richard Graves wrote a book called Bushcraft (Although the word was around earlier than that) and then Mors wrote a book like it, that he called "Northern" Bushcraft.

Everyone seems to have been walking in their tracks ever since.

naming that book revives some fond memories of the late 70's and early 80's, in those days we just simply called it ''camping''.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
The thing about subjects like this is that no matter what it's called people will always be asking why it's called that and not something else more appropriate, from their perspective...
This is bushcraft uk because when I got into bushcraft I did bushcraft courses, I really liked Mors book 'Northern Bushcraft', Ray was on TV calling it bushcraft etc and I was comfortable with it, it described enough for the people interested in it to know what the term meant and it still does, in the recent woodsmoke gathering in Idaho they discussed the name of it and settled on bsuhcraft because that was a widely recognised term, heck, Mors was there and he called it bushcraft a long time ago.

In the end though I think few people care what we call it when we're out and about, most people understand the name bsuhcraft and many of us use the name Ray Mears to help explain what we do, woodsmanship, messing in the woods, outdoor adventure, getting off the beaten track, having an adventure, forestry, walking, having a picnic, outdoors man, etc etc (although I tend to have an image of an outdoorsman more like a wandering mountain man) whatever you like, in the end what's in a name to describe what individuals do :dunno:

When you have sites like bcuk it identifies a place, just like any other name so it's good to have it established so people can call it home, know where it is etc but ultimately it's just a name and after nearly a decade it's one that's going to stay.

So for me, it's just a name like Bill or Fred, it's a great name as far as I see it for explaining to people and it acts like an umbrella covering a huge amount of subjects

well said and i would just like to say i see this place as home cos here i am among some of my closest friends and well faveourite P.sh takers who are also mates and well i am a bigger lover of the outdoors and the wat i enjoyn the outdoors is called bushcraft and personally i dont care what its called i just no i love it

drew

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
In the UK we don't have a 'bush', so in the UK should it be called bushcraft ?

Myself, I prefer the term backwoods camping and that from my former scouting days where much of what is now done in bushcraft now was done then. In fact with a little mirth, I often think on bushcraft meets as almost a form of scouting for adults or kids that have not grown up, but then often in bushcraft circles there is a lot of ex military and what is the military if it is not adult scouting with a difference, bearing in mind how BP came about his training, for in scouting militaristic practices are common, ( well they were when I was in, don't know so much about it now since the shake up )

But if you are an outdoor person that likes being out in the sticks, then getting away from modern camping systems where the technological advances can make camping very comfortable to the point little thought is needed, backwoods camping one relies more on one's intelligence and senses a nd that can be very rewarding in our modern society and it does wonders to improve self confidence in one's abilities.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

When I first started playing the game it was called "Survival Training" but that has gained overtones of Militias, Rambo wannabes and radical loonies running around in combats....
Tony sums up my feelings on the name "Bushcraft" - a name that is generally understood by the majority to explain what the majority of those calling it "Bushcraft" do!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
These days" Outdoorsmanship" is the term I use to describe what i practice.

Discuss...:rolleyes:

Simon

That has unfortunate connotations of gamesmanship and oneupmanship "mines a Gransfors Bruks but yours is an Argos cheapie" :(

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
In the UK we don't have a 'bush', so in the UK should it be called bushcraft ?

Myself, I prefer the term backwoods camping

Do we have backwoods in the UK ? it's more an American expression isn't it ?....& what's the difference between the backwoods & the woods ? ....................or the frontwoods come to that !

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
That has unfortunate connotations of gamesmanship and oneupmanship "mines a Gransfors Bruks but yours is an Argos cheapie" :(

Helas, that's human nature I'm afraid so there's no reason bushcrafting activities should escape it......................If you don't wear craghoppers or a scandinavian smock, " hell, you ain't even a real bushcrafter no more "

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE