Bushcraft radio net

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
This is really just a sounding board at the moment, I have recently got my ham radio licence and plan to purchase my first HF radio in the near future (QRP) and would like to know if any other users would be interested in forming a net say once a month or maybe more often, I plan to be using mine in the field as much as I can when possible, it would good to hook up with like minded people.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Funny you bring that up. I'm not good at searching for old threads but there should be one on here from last year about that. I was just thinking about it because I just got home from a local hamfest. I still don't have an HF rig or I'd love to join in.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Would restrictions on what Hams can discuss over the air limit the usefulness of such a net?

pc1

Sep 9, 2004
uk
I would be up for that but its going to be a while before I have the spare cash for a HF rig.

Be great to see a group up and running for those with the kit.:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Yes, there are restrictions

Amateur Radio Licence (A) or (B) Terms, Provisions and Limitations Booklet BR68

3(3) The Licensee shall:

(a) have no pecuniary interest (direct or indirect) in any operations conducted under this Licence; and
(b) except as provided by sub-clauses 1(2) and (3) and except in the case of activities on behalf of a non-profit organisation established for the furtherance of amateur radio, not use the Station for business, advertisement or propaganda purposes including (without limiting the generality of the foregoing) the sending of news or messages of, or on behalf of, or for the benefit or information of, any social, political, religious or commercial organisation.

Dunno what effect this might have but surely would have some.

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I was thinking, instead of just calling blind for a QSL, we have some purpose and a bit like how many can we contact in one go.

Nothing sinister, no hidden agenda, just a group creating a net may be talking together . As the saying goes the possibilities are endless, just for fun.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes, there are restrictions

Amateur Radio Licence (A) or (B) Terms, Provisions and Limitations Booklet BR68

3(3) The Licensee shall:

(a) have no pecuniary interest (direct or indirect) in any operations conducted under this Licence; and
(b) except as provided by sub-clauses 1(2) and (3) and except in the case of activities on behalf of a non-profit organisation established for the furtherance of amateur radio, not use the Station for business, advertisement or propaganda purposes including (without limiting the generality of the foregoing) the sending of news or messages of, or on behalf of, or for the benefit or information of, any social, political, religious or commercial organisation.

Dunno what effect this might have but surely would have some.

Yeah but the effect would be pretty limited. We wouldn't be able to buy and sell gear. Or advertise commercial campstes. That sort of thing. Generally talking about bushcraft or common epeditions would be fine. As would pretty much any general discuscion not selling or advertising. The point of those restrictions is to remind the hams that we're NOT a commercial radio station.

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Is anyone still interested in the setting up a net, I have my HF up and running now a yaesu 817, small 5watt.

Sweet little piece of kit, furthest contact so far is the Azores, off a ten meter wire in the garden.

Floor is open

M6TTA......................

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Is anyone still interested in the setting up a net, I have my HF up and running now a yaesu 817, small 5watt.

Sweet little piece of kit, furthest contact so far is the Azores, off a ten meter wire in the garden.

Floor is open

M6TTA......................

Nice rig - congrats on the license! :cool:
I'm up for a net at some point. I use the 817 as well - mostly for SOTA - have you got in to CW yet? For QRP, and especially with the foundation license it's well worth it.
I'm back in the UK in a month - might catch you on the air then!
Ioan 2W0NNN

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Love CW, ex Royal Signals radio telegraphist, bit rusty, listening mostly, pm me on your return and we can link up.

Dave

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I must admit to having virtually no knowledge of ham radio, but a mate has recently begun teaching for the cadet organisation that I also teach at. It would be rude not to exploit his lessons - so I hope to be getting something underway before too long.

A qualification might be one thing, but the spare "moolah" to progress into a set of my own is a whole new enterprise.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Ogre, get the cadets to purchase a radio and get them on the net as well, from my old ATC days we had our own call sign, will not take much to get you up and running. It's buying your own can be expensive, best of luck.

73 (ask your friend what this means, ha)

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Love CW, ex Royal Signals radio telegraphist, bit rusty, listening mostly, pm me on your return and we can link up.

Aha, you're on; I was in when the clansman kit was still in use (though only just) - you can buy 320s on ebay for £300-400 if you're feeling nostalgic. The cadets would probably appreciate them too, though for amateur use they're a bit restricted - no LSB for the lower bands unless you do some mods; none of the bells and whistles of an amateur rig, etc. Good fun though as a second semi-portable (by ft-817 standards) rig!

I must admit to having virtually no knowledge of ham radio, but a mate has recently begun teaching for the cadet organisation that I also teach at. It would be rude not to exploit his lessons - so I hope to be getting something underway before too long.

A qualification might be one thing, but the spare "moolah" to progress into a set of my own is a whole new enterprise.

Best of luck - it's a fascinating hobby. Rigs are a bit like bushcrafting kit; you can spend as much or as little as you like and you have a load of fun with whatever you've got, but there's always something on the wish list! I have half a dozen that you're more than welcome to have a play with if you like - I see you're just up the road (I'm between Builth and Brecon). Working portable from the woods or mountains is the way ahead!!

Ioan

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Best of luck - it's a fascinating hobby. Rigs are a bit like bushcrafting kit; you can spend as much or as little as you like and you have a load of fun with whatever you've got, but there's always something on the wish list! I have half a dozen that you're more than welcome to have a play with if you like - I see you're just up the road (I'm between Builth and Brecon). Working portable from the woods or mountains is the way ahead!!

Ioan

Thanks for the offer CC,
With all the kit we have access to in Cadets, I'll not be left wanting for something to try - another mate is Chairman of a local Amateur Radio club so there's no real reason why I haven't got into it yet - other than letting too many other things take priority.

It'll come in its own good time.

Cheers

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE