Bushcraft or re-enactment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I have a titanium spork. I nicked it from Spammel.

Maxium efficiency for minimum effort.

Now thats bushcraft.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Nobodys told me just what it is we are supposed to be reenacting????

I found a Bulldog nesting billy set at the car boot this weekend. It cost me £5

now you are all to go off and get jelous.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
I'm not having a pop at anyone, but the more I look around and see the bushcraft 'uniform' become standard the more it looks like a re-enactment hobby to me. The standard trousers and safari shirts worn by many look like a still shot from Stewart Granger in 'King Salomon's Mines' and that is before the bushcraft hat is donned.

i think the point rik was making is he doesnt understand why the diverse world of bushcraft in the UK is turning into some sort of gang in which we all look the same.

when i was at junior school in the 80's everyone went through a phase of wearing brightly coloured socks the more garish the colours the better!, later on when i was in the army i felt the need to go on exercise with a windproof smock, tropical trousers and a non issue arktis assault vest as it was the fashion with most of the old sweats.
even now i see kids argueing with each other on airsoft forums about 'which am bestest gun' and ridiculing people who buy an M4 because its seen as the airsoft clitoris (every c word has one lol).

it has been said by psychologists that there is a basic human need in a lot of us to fit in and conform.
you will always get folks argueing between themselves and ridiculing others over style/religion/creed etc so why worry if someone thinks your a sheep because you happen to own a zebra billy can and a custom made woodie clone?

rik i salute you in starting such an interesting thread :You_Rock_

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It is a good thread and surely by the act of discussing it shows diversification?

Anyway as said Happy Birthday to Wayland (45) & galew (68), LoneTurtle (61), rory57 (52), mrmo (40), Aragorn (36). Though maybe they should try not to have their Birthdays on the same day huh!

Goatboy.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
When I first read the Rik's post I thought it may raise some 'interesting' replies, but to be honest there seems to be rather a lot of muted hostility against anyone that dares go against the grain, or pose these sort of questions. As someone mentioned above it's forum, where people come to communicate and exchange ideas. Part of communication is asking these sort of questions.

I disagree, I think that the replies were a bit defensive because people didn't take kindly to the implication that they're a joke due to what they wear or use, or that because someone thinks that they should change. I know that Rik didn't outrightly say that, and I honestly don't know whether he thinks it or not, it's just the implication of the OP. I definitely don't think that people are being hostile against anyone who goes against the grain. I've never been slated or looked down upon the various times I've mentioned that I wear jeans, a t-shirt and leather jacket pretty much wherever I go, even though the impracticalities of jeans in wet weather has been mentioned many times. In fact, there've been no complaints whatsoever about the fact that I have no designer gear whatsoever, carry my kit around in a cheap ebay shoulderbag and that I'd be lucky enough to figure out how I'm supposed to wear a modern rucksack, never mind work what I'm supposed to do with all the straps. And I don't think it's my natural charm and charisma either, that never seems to come across online :p

i think the point rik was making is he doesnt understand why the diverse world of bushcraft in the UK is turning into some sort of gang in which we all look the same.
I don't necessarily see a problem with that, though. If people wear what works, and (pulling statistics outta thin air time) say 80% of bushcrafters dress the same, then I'd call it a damn good review for the product more than anything else. Dressing to look different is as or more pointless than dressing to look the same.

In short (heh) I agree, there's nothing wrong with asking. But this is past flogging a dead horse.

Pete

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
OK then, Rik, if it's an 'honest question' you've 'been thinking about for a while' then what are your thoughts and reflections on the situation? How do you see it going forward and what changes (if any) do you think need to be made? How is this resolved?
At least that way the discussion can lead to a conclusion and may convince some that this is more than just trolling. If you've been thinking about it for a while then surely you must have further reflections and thoughts, and ideas for how the dilemma can be resolved.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Rik asked an honest (and I understand where he's coming from on this) question.

Respect for how he sparks up a forum, but I don't think it was meant to wind anyone up.

Me thinks that some protest too much.

I will whole heartedly agree, that there is 'bushcraft snobbery' within the ranks. You know who you are.... I do MY bushcraft the way I do MY bushcraft. I am MORE than happy to have advice, guidance and teaching from those I see fit, and TRUST to offer it. Those bushtards that stomp straight in with 'that knot's wrong' or ''that's not the right smock' will soon get a RoFs and told to jog on.

I think that this was an OK thread to post. The response it has received has IMO proved a point.

Time to look inwards and not sideways I think.

Those that disagree? I'm not bothered; have a nice life. I'm for bushcraft not BS.

NLW

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The uniform and laughing thing does make me laugh.

Everybody who goes into the outdoors has some sort of uniform.

I think this is that debate again 'What is Bushcraft?'.

The problem being in the last big one, we worked out you do not even have to go into the outdoors.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I will whole heartedly agree, that there is 'bushcraft snobbery' within the ranks. You know who you are.... I do MY bushcraft the way I do MY bushcraft. I am MORE than happy to have advice, guidance and teaching from those I see fit, and TRUST to offer it. Those bushtards that stomp straight in with 'that knot's wrong' or ''that's not the right smock' will soon get a RoFs and told to jog on.
When have you seen someone say "that's not the right smock" here? I've yet to actually see any of the snobbery people seem so eager to accuse others of. More often than not, people are recommended Mora knives and Bahco axes (both dirt cheap for what they give you), blue builders tarps get recommended along with cheap synthetic cordage from B&Q. Reviews get done on cheap kit to compare it to more expensive stuff; reviews also get done on alternative brands that may not be dirt cheap, to show that GB are not the be all and end all of axes. And yknow, some applications DO work better with specific knots, that's why there are so many in the first place - though I've not seen snobbery relating to that either, I hardly know any and I'm rubbish at the fancy ones I've tried.

I think that this was an OK thread to post. The response it has received has IMO proved a point.

Time to look inwards and not sideways I think.

Those that disagree? I'm not bothered; have a nice life. I'm for bushcraft not BS.

Yeah, it was an OK thread to post, the first few times. Rik's been around as long as I have and posted 3x as much as me, I don't see how he couldn't know that it's been done before and never goes well.

Atb
Pete

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
My two pence!

I use all sorts of gear from a DPM basha to a leather hat, often i wear a OG Fake SAS windproof and i use a PLCE bergen.

to me it's just cheap and cheerful gear, it just happens to work really well!

I don't understand the thing about having to have identical kit to RM, though i have to admit, when i turned to Bushcraft i bought a Aussie camo basha!

i have my own interests and collect other stuff related to survival kit, i think as long as we accept that we are all different and accept everyone for who they are not what they use for bushcraft we won't go too far wrong!

:beerchug:

Oh and use webbing if you want too!;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
blue builders tarps get recommended along with cheap synthetic cordage from B&Q.

Well crap! I spoze I'll have to find something else now if everyone has a blue tarp. :rant:

bluetarp1b.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'll see your blue builder's tarp and raise you one from an IPK :) Got two for a fiver :cool:
Though I have gone posh, and bought a second hand hex fly from Gaillaine not long ago :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE