Bushcraft or re-enactment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Quote=Humpback;559688]John
I've tried that FAK, SAK and daysac treatment once! ain't half painful and I walked like a bushcrafter for a week! :)

Alan[/quote]

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Nothing new here - Even Nessmuk got laughed at by his mates for spending too much on his axe. But it lasted well and he was happy with it :)

Each to his own

Rat

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
not just drinking beer by the car

That's a strawman argument if ever I heard one.

I think some folks are confusing a FORUM with bushcraft. When you use a computer to post here, you ain't exactly Daniel Boone eh. And if all that was ever discussed here was about the simple blanket, pot, and tarp, there would not be much of a discussion. This forum is much broader than that. If that's a problem, there's a simple solution. Go start a forum where you can limit the discussion to blankets, pots, andt tarps. And don't use your computer either. Have your forum in the bush. Of course, the blankets and tarps should be handmade from materials at hand in the wilderness, and the pot should come from the clay of the soil. It's only fair to the true purists. Of course, I can see splinter groups forming, or at least some forms of schizophrenia... ;) Should I use a clay pot or an aluminum pot? The mind reels at the looming dilemmas!

I'd say all the folks who moan and groan about what BCUK is not, unplug your computers, grab your blanky, and have at it. Forums are about social skills and networking. Without them, you have no forum, just a bunch of people whining on a computer about not being pure enough for the Bushcraft Religion Go figger eh. I say go forth and live with the tribes. Don't forget to take your digital camera though. :lmao: And some antibiotics...

As far as bushcraft goes, everyone defines it and practices it in their own personal way. As far as I know, they haven't made it into a religion...yet. Why do you think it's your business what others do or demand they think like you? You can learn how to make cordage in your living room from materials you bought in a craft store. You can learn how to make a friction fire in your garage. These are bushcraft skills. They've been discussed and demonstrated right here on this forum. Tons of info here on that kind of stuff. Use the search function if that's all you are interested in. For the purists, what are you doing here? Why are you typing on your computer? You should be running naked into the wilderness with Tom Brown.

303Brit

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2007
germany
I agree with pretty much with Hoodoo.

If you are not running around in Mammoth skins,killing animals with a pointy stick,and skinning with flint,dying of old age at 50 and go into panic at a total eclipse of the sun ,you are just playing at it.
So ill think ill stick to just playing at it for now.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yeah come on Rik, get your spoon out and give it another stir ;)

Not meant to stir things up, its an honest question, one I've been thinking about for a while now, although it seems to have struck a raw nerve with some.

Still, makes a change from talking about hobo stoves;)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
When I first read the Rik's post I thought it may raise some 'interesting' replies, but to be honest there seems to be rather a lot of muted hostility against anyone that dares go against the grain, or pose these sort of questions. As someone mentioned above it's forum, where people come to communicate and exchange ideas. Part of communication is asking these sort of questions.

For me, Bushcraft or Re-enactment, well it's fairly simple. I don't use Iron Age gear or the likes, so it's not Re-Enactment. I use modern gear, maybe it's designed on old ideas, but what isn't. Maybe it's been made by me, or not. Each to their own. If you like old style kit, great - I think it looks great, I mean look at Waylands outfit, old style and functional - that's re-enactment when he's working. When he's just being him, it's just him. I use Wayland only as an example as everyone one here knows him / of him.

However, that's not addressing the original example, to which the OP has already answered himself. People take what kit they find either most useful, easiest to carry or maybe it's the only kit they have. I often see people driving certain cars and ask myself why on earth would they buy that, when every review out there slams it for x,y and z. Who knows? Maybe next time if I spot someone getting out of one I'll ask.

These sort of threads don't bug me really, but sometimes the general feel of peoples replies do. While I agree that everyone has the right to respond as they feel fit, it would be nice if these things didn't degenerate in to sarcastic or ironic responses and actually offered constructive input.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Not meant to stir things up, its an honest question, one I've been thinking about for a while now, although it seems to have struck a raw nerve with some.

Still, makes a change from talking about hobo stoves;)

Part of the problem around here is that nobody is talking about anything for fear of mockery these days.

I was going to say more but that is the core of it all really. It's the same as school playgrounds all over, except not quite as mature.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I am not sure its fear of mockery but for some you could be right. I think for a lot of folk its just because they cant be bothered with the hassle or the need to justify things online.
Sometimes the threads go of on a tangent I actually think this thread has been quite a good and entertaining one.

Hopefully no one will harbour any ill feelings and just take it for the bit of banter that it is.

Oh by the way Happy Birthday Wayland!! :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Andy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I agree with the fear of mockery thing. I see more people get mocked for buying `proper bushcraft gear` than I do of anything else so I dont see how owning the stuff is elitist when that seems to invite the most redicule.

Anyways, what do you all want to bet that our famous bushcraft experts on occasion can be found drinking beer by a fire lit with a bic lighter not far from their cars, having asda bought slap up meals?:D

When(if!) I go to Sweden next month, one thing Im going to try to do is go somewhere remote and build a natural shelter, and for the first time, camp all alone in solitude in the middle of nowhere whilst looking for animal tracks.(my partner agreed to leave me in the woods alone he probably wont be too far away admittedly!) now thats bushcraft, but Id never have gotten to the point of confidence or knowledge if it wasnt for all those hours spent at meets with people drinking and eating curries, learning the odd skill each time , or the time spent on the internet and looking at books. So where does the `joke bushcraft` end and the real stuff begin

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Part of the problem around here is that nobody is talking about anything for fear of mockery these days.

I was going to say more but that is the core of it all really. It's the same as school playgrounds all over, except not quite as mature.

Very true I think, especially the playground analogy.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Part of communication is asking these sort of questions.

It's not a new question. It's a tired old one imo. And one anyone can bring it up anytime they want. And I get tired of wondering what really motivates these people. But I do know there are often other agendas cooking in the background.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I agree with Scrogger - a bit of a laugh realy!
Which is what I am into bushcraft for...if I wanted depressing I would just read the papers..
Do I need to justify what I do for a hobby? - no more than a stove collector needs to justify his hobby I would guess;)
Do I care if johny foreigner thinks what I do is laughable? - no more than a county cricket player does I should think:rolleyes:
Would I buy a Ti Spork rather than carve a wooden one? - NOOOOOOOOOOO!:D :umbrella:
Now - lets all go play nicely, in the woods for preference!
Happy birthday Wayland

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE