Bushcraft 'Mojo'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I dont know if I'm going through some kind of mental block lately, or its just a change in the season but I'm really struggling to be as creative as I normally am... (for me anyway)

A month or two ago I would have got the bowdrill out to light a smoke for fun, now I'm reaching for the Bic. I keep trying to make myself carve something, and then thinking 'Meh'
Maybe its just the whole early dark nights and everything winding down, or maybe I've just mislaid my 'Mojo'

Anyone else ever suffer from a flat spot?

On the plus side, I have a new hammock turning up tomorrow, and a weekend with no plans. Maybe I'll head out for a solo and do some reading and then some campfire carving.

al.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Maybe it is the dark nights then...
Its roughly a year since I got into Bushcraft as-such, so I've never had a spring/summer/autumn to wind down from. It was just straight into winter, which I loved.

A firelighting photo essay. Not a bad idea. I was planning on taking the camera with me for company anyways :)

Good call.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Gotta agree I've had a stale patch since I got back from the WG. Had lots on so I'm blaming that. Think I'm out this weekend on my own so will see if I can get my head sorted

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hello mate , i am glad i am not alone , i always suffer a bit of a downer after a meet , but as you say the shorter days etc , seems to make that yearn to be out there stronger than ever , had a brill weekend with Katie , just gone , and it was miserable weather , but feel like i am missing something , nothing to look forward too , felt alittle better today as the sun shone so went to the garage and sorted all my kit out ! and forecast is good for sat , so might just do it all over again .
Sorry i am not a maker , and there is only so much reading you can do , so getting out there is what i really look forward to. anyway moan over , at least going for a wander if nothing else tis weekend, roll on friday , not too dark too early , and not too wet !!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Tiz not all doom and gloom , last w/e found 2 parasol muhrooms the size of dinner plates !! in perfect nick , crikey they reduce and are not as brill tasting as you would expect , but still very satisfying !!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Maybe thats the tonic...

Think I'm out this weekend on my own so will see if I can get my head sorted

Ivan, glad you had a good weekend. Its the getting out I have no problems with although looking back' I do miss the crowd and banter from the last meet.

I think I actually need to sit down and do something positive/productive and see if that will kick-start me again. Or, just chill and not worry!

Oct 24, 2011
Every one is talking about meets I must admit I like to do all my Bushcrafting alone. If I can even hear people nearby it ruins it for me I find so much litter Beer cans used neddles quods and motocross bikes screaming through the woods at 50 to 70 miles perhour and damage to living trees fire that have got out of control burning 7 or 8 trees ect! That I have lost all faith in the human race. The only thing that keeps me going is that at some time in the future a large meteor is going to hit the Earth and wipe out 90% of all humans that inhabit the Earth. Then we can start over again and next time we might do a better job.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've been outside, and planned several overnighters, none of which have happened. Sometimes I think I'm better at planning than doing.

Almost all my bushcraft is solo too. I want solitude, which means not seeing or hearing people. I'm not waiting for a meteor though. We should be able to exterminate ourselves long before that.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Every one is talking about meets I must admit I like to do all my Bushcrafting alone. If I can even hear people nearby it ruins it for me I find so much litter Beer cans used neddles quods and motocross bikes screaming through the woods at 50 to 70 miles perhour and damage to living trees fire that have got out of control burning 7 or 8 trees ect! That I have lost all faith in the human race. The only thing that keeps me going is that at some time in the future a large meteor is going to hit the Earth and wipe out 90% of all humans that inhabit the Earth. Then we can start over again and next time we might do a better job.

I think the company of like minded souls around a campfire would change your opinion... Possibly.

I'm a social creature. I spend 8 hours a day with little to no human contact in work. Weekends I enjoy company. Solo's are good fun, in moderation.

If we where all the same, I guess it would be a boring place!

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I love being solo when I'm just mooching around but when it comes to overnight or a couple of days camp I prefer company. That way you can look out for each other, more so at this time of year when it's getting cold. That way tasks don't become dangerous, even if it's just sat around the fire without talking.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Find someone who needs help, and help them, there is nothing like a newbie asking questions to tax/deepen your own understanding of a subject, and thereby revitalise your sagging mojo.
Their enthusiasm will fire your own.

I'm taking my own advice and off at the end of the month to a woodland working party.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I have to admit, I'm in a bit of a mojo-less spot, too.
I blame it on the seazonal change. Happens to me every year and especially the switch from winter to spring is bad. Right now there are other stresscreating factors that keep me from totally releaxing, too...
And, to my own amazement, I found that, allthough I do enjoy solo outings a lot, I do miss likeminded people to interact and share the experience with...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've taken up Archery, handled a knife and made a sheath for it - my Mojo is coming back. I realised I was stressing out about work then just crashing in the evenings.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
That time of year I reckon. The end of the harvest and the beginning of winter probably signals some ingrained feeling of being 'useless' with little to do. I'm hoping to get a sneaky afternoon out tomorrow, maybe that'll motivate me a little.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE